PDA

View Full Version : Alliant Pro Reach!

blaser.306
12-27-2014, 11:54 PM
Found some Alliant Pro Reach to use as a as a substitute for Hodgdon Longshot! I loaded 100 RDS tonight with a Win SPP for a sparkplug and 8 gr of Pro Reach behind a 158 gr MP 359640 Cast as a large HP. From a rest at 25 yds shot aprox 1 1/2" 10 shot group. This is on the indoor range at our Wildlife federation. Seems to burn clean enough. Boolits are sized .358", Lubed with C- Red on a star it is an air cooled alloy of 15 lbs clip on WW and 3 Lbs lino. Didn't run them across the Chrony , perhaps next time, I was just happy to get some trigger time in!

Tatume
12-28-2014, 09:04 AM
Hi Blaser,

Sounds good! Your alloy sounds a bit rich in antimony though. If you drop back to one pound of linotype and add a three quarters of a pound of 50/50 solder you can conserve your linotype and improve your bullets too. Anyway, have fun.

Take care, Tom

blaser.306
12-28-2014, 10:49 AM
Hi Blaser,

Sounds good! Your alloy sounds a bit rich in antimony though. If you drop back to one pound of linotype and add a three quarters of a pound of 50/50 solder you can conserve your linotype and improve your bullets too. Anyway, have fun.

Take care, Tom

Yea, I didn't lube and size them all ( in case they didn't shoot ) so I could re melt and try over. But I wanted to try for a "harder boolit" Without having to water drop them. I am likely going to dilute the remaining alloy and cast them again and give it one more try. I was worried about them being plaine base but I believe it to be un founded.

shooting on a shoestring
12-28-2014, 10:32 PM
I've used Pro Reach in .357 with good results. Tried it in .38 Special and found it rather erratic. It seems to need some pressure to behave well. Also the grain size means some variation in charge weights, so it's not well suited to small cartridges. I did try it in 32 H&R. Worked well as long as I trickled to weight. Therefore I don't use it in 32 H&R anymore.