PDA

View Full Version : My wheels are turning for a bolt action for youth

DeadWoodDan
12-27-2014, 11:36 PM
We recently took custody of my wife's 13yr old Nephew, he wasn't doing the greatest with his mom's boyfriend and other kids in their home and started to get in trouble in the city. He has participated in the last few deer seasons and has stayed with us over the last few summers, so he's always wanting to shoot with the older guys; BBgun just isn't doing it anymore.

As I was messing around with my TD's this weekend he was helping and I told him he could shoot one of the lever actions. I've been watching a lot of John Wayne movies and the Rifleman and he knew they were in the safe and always asks about them, so he was rewarded with the Rossi .357 and a bunch of mild .38spl cast loads. At 30yds he really surprised me getting good groups, so next time we get out he's getting it and shooting at 50yds.

So now I've been thinking what cheap bolt action I can get him that I have molds and gear ready for him to do his own loads also? I have a few 30 cal molds and plenty of brass and dies for the 30-06 and 30-30. First thing came to mind was the 30-06, then I know there are the Stevens 30-30...
My thought process is bolt action is easy for him to shoot off and cycle on the bench and he can load one at a time. Have been cruising GB and can easily get either for around $250 and for another hundred can really step it up. I'm thinking by the end of summer with a scoped rifle he should be hitting 100yds easily.

Oh yea I'm really enjoying looking for another rifle to add :bigsmyl2:

What can others give for opinions and thoughts on what I want to do OR should do?

Yodogsandman
12-28-2014, 01:02 AM
Get the caliber that will step up with him as he grows and becomes more confident. Which caliber would be best for the hunting terrain and game in your area?

I started my boys with Marlin 336, 35 Remington's and 200gr boolits at about 1100 FPS. They shot thousands of rounds down range. No problem when it was time to load em up for hunting. They still have and use them 15 years later. The terrain in my area dictated the caliber. The lever actions fit because boys tend to like firepower and slinging lots of bullets.

The girls started with bolt action 30-06's. Girls tend to be more deliberate shots. They wait for the one perfect shot. They also don't normally buy more guns as they get older. So a more all around caliber was called for that would fit all situations.

starmac
12-28-2014, 01:57 AM
Something to think about is what do you and those he will likely be hunting with use? My son, both sil's and I all have at least one of the same caliber, it just simplifies things somewhat. I am sorta looking for a 270 for a nephews first rifle, only reason is that is what his dad shoots, and since he has used it, I know it works for him too.

I do not know if the marlins xl7's (or something like that) are still available, but they came in several calibers and were pretty sweet for what they cost. I gave my daughter one in 30/06 for christmas, and she was pretty jacked about it. Only problem is I have to come up with a couple more 06's for the other girls before next christmas. lol It never ends.

fast ronnie
12-28-2014, 02:31 AM
30-06 has been a favorite for many shooters for a long time. It doesn't seem to be quite as popular as once was, seems the 308 is a pretty good bet these days. My opinion is an 06 is so versatile there should be at least one in the collection. It can be loaded down to about 125 grains, up to 22o grains, cast or jacketed. It can fill a multitude of purposes from plinking or small game up to almost anything in North America. If you were going to Africa? Maybe as a backup, but if doing that, you're longer talking about a youngster learning to shoot. 308 is a good choice, but not nearly as versatile. Almost, but not quite. One gun--06! Two guns? Then start looking at the specific requirements? Just my opinion. Bolts are always a good bet, too.

StrawHat
12-28-2014, 08:07 AM
I started with a bolt action 22. When I stepped up to CF, it was an old Swede M96 (or whatever model had a short barrel). It served me well and taught me about small bore reloading. I still have it and use it occasionally. If looking for a new rifle, I have had luck with the Savage rifles, 30-06 and 308. A bit more recoil than the 6.5x55 but easily avoided with handloads.

Of course, the carbine load in one of your Springfield Single Shots would make his eyes light up! 55 grains of black powder under the 405 grain boolit. What's not to love? I know, it isn't a bolt action but...

Best luck,

Kevin

JSnover
12-28-2014, 08:49 AM
Yep. Start him off with an 06 loaded to 30-30 ballistics and let him grow into it, he'll be fine.

NC_JEFF
12-28-2014, 08:51 AM
I think the bolt gun is the way I would go as well, in 30-06. It actually loads as light as 90 gr boolits if you load the Lee "soup can" .32 wadcutter sized down to .309. Lee still sells 100gr "plinkers" for .30 calibers and hunting round are plentiful. .308 would be my 2nd pick, not because it's inferior but because the '06 is my all time gave rifle caliber. 30 calibers bolt guns cover every situation your nephew will emvounter in the woods and offer good accuracy downrange. Like others have said, if he enjoys using the rifle he will buy others later. That is when he can more match certain calibers to specific needs.

Deadwooddan.....that's a heck of a good thing you guys did, taking your nephew in in order to improve his situation. I hope all works out for him.

JD

dh2
12-28-2014, 10:35 AM
at 13 kids are growing pretty god, I would look at some thing that he could grow in to . the Ruger All American for the price looks pretty good. ( I have not seen one in a long action )Going with the .308 Win. he could start with a very low recoil 150Gr. cast boolit load up to a 180gr. J-word load for elk or moose if the need arises covering every thing you can hunt in the lower 48states.

DeadWoodDan
12-28-2014, 04:06 PM
Thanks JD, we had for seen it for sometime; Just when our youngest started her first year of college I thought we where done with raising children and as dh2 stated a 13yr boy growing made me remember how our oldest was when he was this age...can't keep enough food in the house and clothes are out grown before you can afford new ones.

I am starting to look at all the various 30-06 on GB, and b.c. there is many it keeps the prices within our range. Now which brand and model to get? I'm almost nervous with all Remington quality issues, but there is some nice priced ones with plastic stocks. As stated earlier I think for the extra money I will go with a wood stock.

I have a Moser in the 30-06 that was going to be a project, but he may get it first. Not sure I want him to have it, b.c. it needs an adult to shoot it at this point.

country gent
12-28-2014, 05:09 PM
You might consider shortening the length of pull for him on the rifle also. A rifle that fits is much easier to shoot and recoil is much easier to control. If you drill 2 1/4" holes 1" deeper than the section to be removed and save the piece it can be reinsalled to very close to factory length with a couple dowells in the holes and longer screws for the buttplate. A short action cartridge and short action might be easier for him to cycle. Maybe take him to a few shops to look at rifles and see what he likes, what fits, and is doable. The 308 is a fine cartridge and very useable. 30-06 also but a long action. 300 savage can be interesting. I had considered building a short action bolt gun in 7.62 X 39 for a cast boolit rifle at one time as powder capacity would be almost optimum. Alot to think about. Keep him involed and helping out, the rifle will end up being a thing of pride to him with many memories with it.

truckjohn
01-01-2015, 10:17 PM
Another option would be a 91/30 Mosin... Though not having the specific reloading and casting gear is a hindrance...

I would look into a used 30-30.... especially if you already have the rest of the gear...

Thanks.

kens
01-01-2015, 10:27 PM
Im thinking of a small ring mauser in .257 Roberts, 7x57, or even 8mm.

nekshot
01-01-2015, 11:10 PM
when my oldest daughter turned 12 (she was shooting for years) I told her she could have any gun in the cabinet and she chose a remington model 7 in 7-08 and I am glad now she did.(that was my wifes gun) We loaded it down for her and she was off to the races, even nailing a buck running across the hayfield on the second shot. My son comes along and he got a 7-08.

303Guy
01-02-2015, 05:01 AM
A lightweight 250 Savage would be good. No good for bear or moose though. You can't go wrong with a 7mm either and they are good for quite big stuff. I'd lean toward a 7-08 if a nice 250 didn't come up first.

kweidner
01-02-2015, 06:30 AM
since you cast it opens a bunch of doors in the 30 caliber realm. Remington pre x trigger ia fantastic, a model 70, savage shouldn't be overlooked, but if I were buying new it would be a .308 and in a ruger or CZ if you could find ine in your budget. Start with the lee 155r as it is very accurate in the 3 .308s I have tried it in. CZ has one of the most accurate guns out of the box I have ever witnessed more than once. Ruger usually shoot pretty good but can be made to shoot very good with bedding and a trigger. No need for all that in a CZ out of the box, mount a scope, and be prepared to be smiling.

357Mag
01-02-2015, 01:56 PM
Deadwood -

Howdy !

+1 on what .303Guy said.

Savage makes a " factory classic " in .250 Savage, w/ a 22" barrel.

The rifle comes set-up as a " change barrel ". Both the stock and the barrel could be changes as his needs evolve.

With regards,
357Mag

DeadWoodDan
01-02-2015, 07:26 PM
We got a Mauser in 30-06 gonna try this spring. Just b.c. those recommended the .250 Savage in got me curious. My Brother had a Model 99 and it was a fun rifle to shoot; I still think it had the best rifle sights on any rifle I have ever fired, I don't have the best eyes and could really hit paper with the iron sites.

Went on GB to see what was offered in teh .250 Savage and prices are a bit out of my range for now. We will see what he does with the Mauser and if he takes the hobby up.

Thanks everyone
DWD

JSnover
01-02-2015, 07:54 PM
What does the boy want to hunt? If he'd like to chase bears or moose someday, you'll want to lean towards the heavier recommendations.

DeadWoodDan
01-02-2015, 10:23 PM
right now its just for shooting at paper, no hunting plans other than squirrel and rabbits for live game practice. My plan is to get him confortable working the action of a bolt gun and casting then loading his own. He has used my lube sizer while I make my reloads and he has asked to pull the lever on the progressive, but when its time for him to roll his own he will learn on a single stage.

So main plan is just to get him shooting small groups AND not burn all my powder and primers up LOL

Yodogsandman
01-02-2015, 11:27 PM
So main plan is just to get him shooting small groups AND not burn all my powder and primers up LOL

Good plan!

Ballistics in Scotland
01-04-2015, 08:55 AM
Something like a .243 or one of the mild .25s would be comfortable in a light rifle, and for him weight will matter too. You never know about kids, he might attach importance to a rifle loaded the same way anyone else would. A .22 would have the advantage of being able to let him shoot as much as he wants - maybe not this month, but when the market stabilizes - and you can pick up an obsolete and unloved but accurate .22 cheaply enough to be an adjunct to something else.

It would be nice if he moves on to hunting with the same rifle, but he mightn't. So there is a lot to be said for having a rifle in which everything works the same as whatever he is likely to use. I mean, almost all safeties work the wrong way around, except on the Brno .22 I scrimped and saved to buy in 1970.

An engineering friend brought home a Polish colleague's family from a job in Istanbul, and the ten-year-old was very quickly making excellent groups with a heavy sporter in .243 Ackley Improved, from a rest. My nephew, at the same age, was a vile shot with my air rifle, and didn't want to get any better. It should surprise nobody, except perhaps his mother, that twenty years later he is an unsuccessful printmaker (understandably unsuccessful I think) with a day job in a garden centre.

hockeynick39
01-04-2015, 11:31 AM
I picked up a Tikka T3 Stainless Lite in 6.5 x 55 SE for my wife and kids, they didn't like it because it was loud and scared them when they shot it. I love it and it has accounted for a few pigs and whitetail, as well as the odd varmint. I then picked up a Weatherby Youth Synthetic in .243 Winchester that has the removable spacers on the butt. Worked like a champ and it is now full stocked and it probably gets shot more than any rifle I own. It has not taken any animals yet, but I have no doubts that it will when the time comes. I don't have any experience with the .257 Roberts, but am sure that it will fill the bill as well. My grandfather started me out on .22s and then gave me a Remington M1903A3 from WWII for my 16th birthday. I still have it and a modern .30-06 that has accounted for some mule deer, antelope, and whitetail as well. Good luck and stay safe.

44magLeo
01-04-2015, 01:32 PM
Savage no longer lists the 250 in any rifle.
Mid way has the 250 savage ER Shaw barrels for $127. I bought one and then bought a savage model 11 in 243 to swap the 250 barrel into. Easy to do with the right tools.
Leo

Shooter973
01-04-2015, 07:15 PM
I have 2 Rem 788's in 30-30 that are great cast bullet rifles. I also have several levers in 30-30, so if he starts to get bored with one or the other switch to the other action type. Tayloring the loads lets you control the recoil and the noise. Light bullets and Unique are alot of fun for young shooters, then boost the loads until he's shooting factory equvilent loads. Flexable...[smilie=s:

clearcut
01-06-2015, 11:39 AM
Sooooo?? how much was the mauser? iron?scope?wood? pix?
CC

Ola
01-12-2015, 03:37 PM
How about this "new" Tikka T3 Compact:

http://www.tikka.fi/t3models.php?compact

They say "it will grow with the user". What do you think, is that a good concept for a "youth rifle"?