PDA

View Full Version : I think I'm in Love

Michael J. Spangler
12-27-2014, 10:41 PM
first of all i am in love with my beautiful wife that got me the mold for christmas, but second would be this new mold.
453423 from NOE.
I cannot wait to load some of these in 45 AR brass for my 625-3
i've been reading about this bullet for years, and a forum member was nice enough to send me some a year or two ago to play with. I can't believe i waited so long for this mold.

wohoo. here are some pics to get everyone drooling.

anyone else run this mold? anyone run it for a 625 or similar?

http://i286.photobucket.com/albums/ll105/MJSpangler/Casting/5B645DB2-9C4B-424A-9A73-1B9BA2EEA0F4_zpsynyx38yh.jpg (http://s286.photobucket.com/user/MJSpangler/media/Casting/5B645DB2-9C4B-424A-9A73-1B9BA2EEA0F4_zpsynyx38yh.jpg.html)

Ben
12-27-2014, 10:43 PM
That looks like a real winner for the auto rim !

John Allen
12-27-2014, 11:06 PM
Boy that is a pretty boolit!

StrawHat
12-28-2014, 07:49 AM
I shoot the older Lee GB from a couple of different revolvers, a 25-2, 28-2 (rebuilt to ACP), and even from a couple of Spaghetti Colts chambered for the ACP cartridge. I have also loaded it in the 45 S&W case and the 45 long Colt. It is a good one for me at about 850 to 900 fps.

10mmShooter
12-28-2014, 02:58 PM
Michael, firstly a beautiful bullet, nice mold and alloy temp to get the pretty shinny look.

Just a question(not being critical...just want to understand)....the small radius on the base(I'm assuming the mold is not a bevel base mold). I'm curious how this much of radius is looked at my by our fellow casters, firstly to me it appears its consistent around the whole bullet base as best I can tell from the pic,..... so effects on revolver accuracy at 25 yds would near very hard to measure if any at all. That being said, I would typically toss it back in favor a keeper with a sharper base. Is this a correct assumption ?? I still haven't seen any repeatable evidence that at 25 yards or less, that the bevel verse flat vs an inconsistent version of either really makes any difference on target??

Michael J. Spangler
12-28-2014, 03:48 PM
i'm not as picky with my boolits as many are. i must have left a small sprue puddle on this one causing a poor base fill out.
for what i'm doing i don't think it would matter much.
i would like to hear if anyone else has an experience with it though. if they noticed base inconsistencies like this making much of a difference at 25 yards or even more.
i would think something like this, though different from the properly filled out boolits, wouldn't make too much of a difference because it's consistent all the way around. i would think that would be better than a void or wrinkle on one just one side of the base.

that being said, by the time i handle these between, casting, hi-tek coating, transportation back home, through the sizing die and moved around in my storage bins i would imagine i'm going to do a lot worse to them.

Bigslug
12-28-2014, 04:47 PM
I recently did a lot of experimenting with it as an "extreme" .45 ACP bullet: http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?237958-Reliably-Feeding-the-452423-A-Science-Project

I ultimately decided that it was more "extreme" than I wanted for automatics, and am now giggly like a little schoolgirl over my LBT 45-230LFN, however, I am still utterly stoked with my NOE 5 cavity 452423 mold and the slugs that drop out of it. I think it's going to become the "go-to" bullet for most of my .45 revolver work. I was initially thinking as a low recoil option for my dad's hands, but my evil little voice is telling me to try driving it fast out of a Casull with some wads or filler to act as a gas check. . .

EDIT: I wouldn't worry overly about a little bit of rounded base. Number one - it's not a long range rifle bullet. Number two - NOE's seem to drop a skosh on the large side, so your .452" sizing die should square out at least some of that.

Michael J. Spangler
12-29-2014, 01:11 AM
Thanks bigslug.
Have you tried hot loads without roll crimping? I don't have a roll crimp die, only taper.
When I worked with this bullet for a few loads in the past I think I was up to about 6 grains of universal with just a taper crimp and no issues with the bullets jumping crimp.

If not do you have suggestions for a 45 ACP roll crimp die? Thanks again.

By the way I loved your threads on the heavy bullets and 1911s. Thanks man!

Bigslug
12-29-2014, 01:24 AM
Can't help you on the roll crimper - haven't made it to the wheelguns with this one yet. Don't think you'll have much to worry about only running snug taper crimps in a heavy-underlugged 625 though.

Michael J. Spangler
12-29-2014, 01:28 AM
Thank you. I'll let you know I make out this week.

FLHTC
12-29-2014, 10:12 AM
So am I but she's married to George Clooney.

Love Life
12-29-2014, 11:22 AM
Great mould. I used that mould and boolits from another member to test in my autos and wheel gun. I ran it from mild to wild and I always had a smile on my face. Had to seat pretty deep for the autos, but I just adjusted my charge accordingly.

A Glock 21 magazine full of 13 of those fat guys is a sight to behold and quite comforting. However; I too have switched to a different design with the autos.