PDA

View Full Version : I've caught the lever bug

winchester243
02-19-2008, 11:00 AM
I went for years, heck decades without ever having a lever gun, then a couple of years ago I got a Marlin 1894cbc in 38 special for cowboy action shooting. I really liked it but that was all I had use for it for.

Then I went to our local hospital foundation fundraiser last fall, they had a Marlin 336XLR and stainless Ruger Blackhawk combo for sale, well what could be better, get two guns at a good price ($1,000) and support our hospital.

Now I'm completely hooked, love the 336. My local dealer has a NIB 39A for $450 what a nice gun. I'm going to pick it up in the next day or so.

I already have plans for my next lever gun after this one. I've wanted a 45/70 for a long time and my dealer can get me a 1895XLR for $660.

I can hardly wait till next hunting season to try out the 30/30 and 45/70 on game and what is even better is that I plan on casting my own bullets for these calibers.

beagle
02-19-2008, 12:04 PM
Better get to a doctor quick. That's a bad disease. Think I have about an even dozen levers and I keep looking. Only thing that will cure it is "just one more"./beagle

pdawg_shooter
02-19-2008, 02:25 PM
Just one more wont help a bit !!!!!! I have been saying "just one more" for 40 years now !

Jon K
02-19-2008, 02:37 PM
Next you'll be buying a mould for a gun you don't yet have.
Don't worry the sickness is not terminal, all of us here have it, whether admitted or not.

Jon

KSCowboy
02-19-2008, 06:21 PM
Wait til you have to have a Winchester or Browning Model 71 in 348 Win.

And then a 1895 Win or Brown in 30-06.

How about a 1873 Win in 44-40.

Then you just can't do without a 1892 Win in..............

Enjoy 'em all!

winchester243
02-19-2008, 09:24 PM
Next you'll be buying a mould for a gun you don't yet have.
Don't worry the sickness is not terminal, all of us here have it, whether admitted or not.

Jon

Too late I already did that. :-D Bought one of the 45/70 molds that Ranch Dog had on his website don't have a 45/70 yet.

I also have a set of dies I picked up with a few other reloading items I "needed" from a guy selling out his stuff. Now I just need a gun to go with them, I mean you can't let a perfectly good set of dies go to waste now.

Speaking of which I was at the gunshop this evening and changed my mind the 1895XLR comes first the owner went ahead and ordered me it, should be here in a couple of days.

Best part is as long as I don't take the 336XLR and the 1895XLR out at the same time the Mrs. won't know the difference. When the inevitable question comes, "is that another new gun dear?" I can answer with a straight face, "no, I've had this one for a while now". :-D

Bigjohn
02-19-2008, 11:05 PM
Just wait until his condition progresses to the dreaded "SINGLE SHOT LEVER ACTION" stage.

Then it's all uphill from there>

John.

jhrosier
02-20-2008, 12:25 AM
I was concerned about catching the lever bug when I had just a couple of Marlins.
I bought a Winchester, a Browning, and a Savage, alll lever guns just to test my resistance.
I didn't seem to have a problem, but I bought a couple more Winchesters another Browning and a Marlin, just to be sure.

I don't think that there is any such thing as a lever bug.

Just to be extra safe, I might pick up a Browning grade II, Model 1895. Sort of a lever bug "stress test."

You just can't be too carefull.:)

Jack

softpoint
02-20-2008, 09:38 PM
The sickness probably is terminal, I'll probably have it till I die..........

beemer
02-20-2008, 10:31 PM
There is no cure but I have found out how to treat the symptoms.

The Nyack Kid
02-21-2008, 01:52 AM
you guys are looking at this all wrong .
the "levergun bug" is not a illness . Quite the opposite ,infact the "bug" is an outward sign that one has Character and Class and is in possession of all his mental capabilitys and is far superior to the average gun owner.
Now if one where a "frontstuffer" loony ,then that is a differant story, them guys is nuts.
And in recognition of your belonging to this ultra-elite group you need a badge, an outward sign ,aka a levergun . or two heheheh or eight !

MT Gianni
02-21-2008, 10:37 AM
I finally got a copy of "East of the sun, West of the Moon" by Theodore and Kermit Roosevelt, Teddy's sons about their hiunting trip into China and the northern Himalayas circa 1920. In one of the first pages T. Rossevelt says "there are no cranks as bad as gun cranks" when telling of the hundreds of letters they got advising them of proper caliber and type guns to take on their trip for the Chicago Museum. Gianni