PDA

View Full Version : Name your guns??!!

Jevyod
12-27-2014, 07:31 PM
Just curious if any of you all name your guns! I named my marlin 1895 "the hammer" I know not very original:oops: But I am getting a 358 Winchester built by goodsteel, and I really think it will beg a name! So 'fess up! Did you name your gun? And if so, what was the inspiration!!

Down South
12-27-2014, 07:44 PM
I have one that I named Bertha. It's a Remington Sendero 300 Win Mag. I named it that many yrs ago before many of the newer mag calibers were available.

MrWolf
12-27-2014, 07:48 PM
Does "cmon girl you can do better than that" count? :bigsmyl2: (Just realized that could also be me calling myself Mary)

shooter93
12-27-2014, 07:57 PM
I name quite a few of mine.

fatnhappy
12-27-2014, 08:13 PM
If you don't name them you'll never call them the wrong name accidentally. Trust me when I say that's an embarassment you'll want to avoid.

RickinTN
12-27-2014, 08:15 PM
A friend of mine named my SBH "Maude", not sure why. My sporting clays shotgun is named "Pearl".
Rick

JeffinNZ
12-27-2014, 08:18 PM
"Isaac" for the Isaac Haines .40cal flinter.
"The Wesson" for the Wesson .40cal caplock.
"Whispering Death" for the suppressed .32-20 Martini.
"Husky" for the .30-30 Husqvarna bolt gun.

altheating
12-27-2014, 08:21 PM
A friend of mine shot a buck in the left ear, the bullet exited out the bucks right eye. I was also shooting at that buck and observed the brain matter exit. It was quite gorey. Since then his Rem 760 in 30/06 has been named "eye-gore" ! Since I also hit that buck, we named my rem 760 30/06 "eye-gores little brother".

crowbuster
12-27-2014, 09:34 PM
My most used rifle, ruger 22-250, I call clapper. Cause it puts the lights out.

Outer Rondacker
12-27-2014, 09:51 PM
I found if I name them I cant ever sell them. So now that I have to part with my collection I can tell you this. Dont name them. It really does make it harder if you hit rock bottom and need to part with them.

starmac
12-27-2014, 09:55 PM
I have never thought to name a gun, I did drive a pickup for years that was called the war wagon, not even sure gave it that name. lol

krag35
12-27-2014, 10:06 PM
I guess calling my meat rifle the 06 isn't much interesting, but that's what I always take when I go hunting "for real"

Jr.
12-27-2014, 10:12 PM
I have my 7 millimeter (a 7mm rem mag)
Christies 308 (my wife's rifle)
The Mossberg (12 ga)
And the 20 gauge.

My dads 300 win mag is Martha though. My mom got mad at him for shooting so much so he would always joke about taking Martha out again when he would leave.

Down South
12-27-2014, 10:21 PM
I found if I name them I cant ever sell them. So now that I have to part with my collection I can tell you this. Dont name them. It really does make it harder if you hit rock bottom and need to part with them.
My wife made me promise that I would never sell another one of my guns. I have a good wife.

Ickisrulz
12-27-2014, 10:56 PM
I have a Sako varmint rifle in 22-250 that is named Elvis.

Artful
12-27-2014, 10:59 PM
I don't, but my wife does - tough for me to keep straight sometimes...
Sigmund for Sig Sauer pistol
Govener for Ruger 678G target pistol - got it's name once she found out the military uses 'em
Carl for AR-15 Carbine aka CAR
Black Sword for my night Varmint AR-15
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/rowdyfisk/FAL/th_278.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rowdyfisk/media/FAL/278.jpg.html)

Wolfer
12-27-2014, 11:05 PM
I have too many to name but when I got my Ruger new vaquero I liked it so well and spent so much time with it that the family started referring to it as ( my precious ) after the lord of the rings show.
Now it's been shortened to just precious and I am just as fond of it now as when I got it.

MarkP
12-27-2014, 11:19 PM
I named my Rem 700 MNT in 300 Wby "300 Death Ray" When I bought this rifle in 90 or 91' I was familiar with the trajectory of my Ruger 44 mag carbine.

375supermag
12-27-2014, 11:20 PM
No

Never named a gun.
I have enough trouble keeping the names of wives, children and grandchildren straight to start worrying about naming inanimate objects.

dragon813gt
12-27-2014, 11:59 PM
No, and I've never named a vehicle either. The whole concept of naming inanimate objects has always seemed odd to me.

quilbilly
12-28-2014, 12:02 AM
I named one of my muzzleloaders "Sweet Thing" because it shoots better than I do at long range.

1911cherry
12-28-2014, 12:14 AM
I've got a single shot 12ga Topper Deluxe with a 3inch chamber I call a name I cant repeat here...

TXGunNut
12-28-2014, 03:08 AM
Gun names are like nicknames, sometimes they come along and stick, sometimes they don't. A few of my favorite guns have names; Ol' Ugly, Thumper, Judi and Annie. Ol' Ugly and Thumper need little explanation even though Ol' Ugly has gotten right handsome in her old age due to a fancy new Boyd stock. A Ruger 77 that insists on being cold and dirty is named after an old GF and Annie is my "loaner" Winchester 670 rifle named after none other than Little Miss Sure Shot. Annie's original name was Even Uglier but I cleaned her up, pulled off the see-thru rings and cheap scope and put a decent scope and leftover stock on her. Haven't gotten around to bedding the action but she's a shooter with no bad habits that I can let anyone shoot. They won't hurt her and she won't miss.

nagantguy
12-28-2014, 03:20 AM
I name the keepers, Kimberly and black beauty are two examples.

Hickory
12-28-2014, 06:57 AM
No

Never named a gun.
I have enough trouble keeping the names of wives, children and grandchildren straight to start worrying about naming inanimate objects.

Good thinkin'

Dryball
12-28-2014, 08:04 AM
I've always heard that it's bad juju to name a gun before it draws blood...and it's true. I named my flinter before it drew blood and it took me 6 years. I name it Hubertus (patron saint of Hunters). Others are named Bertha, Dad, Cutsaw and Reaper.

Lead Fred
12-28-2014, 08:49 AM
My first flintlock (and my last production rifle) was named "Ye Ole Fence Post"
Fore if it broke again, that is what it was going to end up as.

Good thing the girl friend won it in the separation

375supermag
12-28-2014, 09:19 AM
No, and I've never named a vehicle either. The whole concept of naming inanimate objects has always seemed odd to me.

Agreed...don't name vehicles, either. I have called a couple of vehicles names a time or two, but only in response to a breakdown at an inopportune time( not that there is an opportune time for a vehicle breakdown). Most of those names are unrepeatable in polite company or in an open forum.

Outer Rondacker
12-28-2014, 11:04 AM
My wife made me promise that I would never sell another one of my guns. I have a good wife.

You Sir have a good wife.

Mine also said that at one time.

gew98
12-28-2014, 11:14 AM
I have been calling the 50 BMG rifle "thor" of late.... it hammers down steel targets rather well.

WILCO
12-28-2014, 11:52 AM
Gun names are like nicknames, sometimes they come along and stick, sometimes they don't.

That's true.

Big Boomer
12-28-2014, 05:58 PM
Never named one of mine or one belonging to anyone else ... but some fellers at the Northeast Ky. Fish & Game Club, Ashland, Ky., named a 5-shooter (.45 Colt) Ruger Bisley built by Hamilton Bowen for me ... they called it Big Boomer and it is loud. Of course, those were before the days of .475s, .500s, the BFRs and before the Freedom Arms Revolvers were widely known. Nowadays, this revolver would be relegated to fairly ordinary status. Big Boomer

btroj
12-28-2014, 07:09 PM
Nope. Never.
Mine already have all the names they need stamped on the barrel.

badgerblaster
12-28-2014, 08:30 PM
One of my hunting partners refers to his 06 as "Betty Lou", but he also refers to his insurance policy as "zero comprehension".
I haven't taken his lead and usually refer to my guns by their caliber or model.

Edster
12-28-2014, 08:37 PM
Never have, but my son in law named one of mine yesterday. Took the new 458 SOCOM to the range yesterday. It is now affectionately called Earth Shaker. Folks down the other end of the range said the ground was shaking every time I pulled the trigger. Son in law decided that it should be so named.

Blacksmith
12-28-2014, 08:48 PM
Some days when they are not hitting the targets I call them names. Other than that my .45-70 pistol is "Goloudenboomer" and I am working on one for my liberal tail twister very evil looking black rifle all tricked out and tacticool which hides the guts of a break action single shot .22 rim fire. One look and they will say that it should be banned but it is about as mild a firearm as you can have, but.... but it looks bad.

MT Gianni
12-28-2014, 10:06 PM
No names for objects without life.

btroj
12-28-2014, 10:28 PM
No names for objects without life.

Excellent idea. I don't name cars either.

I have things I call guns at certain times but they aren't mentionable here. It usually has more to do with my poor shooting.

montana_charlie
12-28-2014, 10:53 PM
As a kid, I thought it was truly cool that Davey Crockett named his rifle Ol' Betsy.
I was so impressed, I decided that if I ever had a rifle it would be named Ol' Betsy.
Well, I grew up, and eventually came to own a rifle ... which turned into several over the years.

Never have named one ...

CM

Col4570
12-29-2014, 03:11 AM
No,pretty soon you might be renaming your Lawn Mower,Washing Machine,Chainsaw etc.So your neighbour might say "Can I borrow your Chug Chug"or "I need a new Belt for Old Swisher"or "I must get a new Chain for Mr Noisy Bugger".

Char-Gar
12-29-2014, 04:20 AM
I only give names to living things and not machinery. To my way of thinking a name denotes personality, and mechanical things don't have personalities, just quirks.

lefty o
12-29-2014, 04:58 AM
no. a firearm is a tool, and i dont give wrenches, hammers, or screwdrivers names either.

Janoosh
12-29-2014, 08:59 AM
Hmmmmmm.......and yet crew served, inanimate objects are often named.

I call my Ithaca 37 slug gun, "Blood Getter", because when it's down to the wire, time has all but gone, really need a deer, It has never let me down. It has earned it's name.

Col4570
12-29-2014, 09:31 AM
It is only a mild thing to give your Gun a name.It,s when you start having conversations with it that the alarm bells should start ringing.I talk to the Trees that's why they put me away. :violin:

Sorry just Joshing.

prsman23
12-29-2014, 10:16 AM
http://youtu.be/fxu5HKpIED4

BruceB
12-29-2014, 11:33 AM
So.... firearms are only "tools", to SOME of us.

Not me.

For untold centuries, men have regarded their weapons (sorry Felix) with a very different perception than their tools.

Was EXCALIBUR just another cutting instrument? A "tool"?

The instruments used for hunting and fighting were (are) carefully selected, often embellished with great artistry, and cherished far beyond the care lavished on any "tool".

I believe that men who regard their guns as mere "tools" are poorer for that attitude. Is there no romance or sense of proportion in their psyches?

The guns I've used over the last sixty years stay in my memory (and often in my possession).... the actual TOOLS I've used over that period have vanished into the shades of imperfect memory.

I have owned literally hundreds of firearms in my life. Out of that large number, only TWO have names, and those names just sort of "happened", not being bestowed by any serious thought.

For almost my entire shooting life, beginning in my early teens, I've held a great attraction for the #4 Mk1 .303 rifle. At this point, at age 71, I still own two of them.

Both are as-new.

One is English-made, at Fazakerley, in 1955.

One is Canadian, from Long Branch arsenal in 1943.

The English #4 came to me first, and for some reason I named it (in my own mind, bot for public consumption) "Miz Liz", after Elizabeth Hurley, a truly prime specimen of British womanhood (or any other type of womanhood, too!)

The Canadian rifle arrived some years later, and since the English one somehow acquired a name, it seemed only fitting that the Canadian #4 should as well. It became "Shania"..... need I explain that selection?

I like rifles. I like lovely women, and women in general, for that matter. In these particular cases, the two seemed a good match. I'm sure that many of my "prettier" rifles might SEEM to be better choices to carry names, but I have a special relationship with the #4 Rifle, and this works for me.

I still own many rifles. They are most assuredly not "tools". They are companions, trusted and reliable instruments for exerting my will in any situation. They are partners for enjoyable adventures and activities, staunch allies if needed.... NOT TOOLS.

condorjohn
12-29-2014, 06:35 PM
125672125673I've never named a gun but, this one125672 came with a name. Meet Inez.
She may have been carried by a "Lady Of The Night" in her younger years,
or so I would like to think. Even has, what looks like, blood corrosion.
H&R .32 S&W Safety Hammerless. Should be pearl grips. I'd like to find a set
so I can dress her up proper