PDA

View Full Version : Cow moose story

Idaho Mule
12-27-2014, 02:42 PM
As some may recall, I drew an "antlerless moose" tag for unit 8 here in Idaho this year. I was not worried about finding one, because we see them all the time on our property here in Latah county. Season ran from Oct. 10th (?) to Nov. 23, and Oct was much warmer than normal around here so I did not want to get one down in those temps. Things cooled down in Nov. tho so I got busy, I had a week off due to an operation on my left hand early in Nov. and then another week of vacation following that. The wife and I went for a drive one evening and spotted a big cow but she was too far away. Next day we snuck into a bedding area, moose was gone but wife killed a nice little 3x3 white tail with my .356 Winchester. I was packing my 303 that day. Then nothing for a few days, although I was looking pretty hard. On Sunday, Nov. 16th I was out early, driving to area I was going to hunt and there she was!!! standing in my neighbor Rob's orchard. That same old big cow and a fairly nice bull. Well, I had asked everybody in the country for permission to hunt, except Rob. I knew for a fact he would not mind, but could not bring myself to shoot. I drove on by the moose down his driveway to his house and banged on the door and got no answer. I left and was mad at myself for not talking to him earlier, I watched as the pair of moose moved on towards ground that I did have permission to hunt. I left them alone for a bit and went on down and talked to Pat, another neighbor. He said I shoulda just shot her as he knew Rob wouldn't mind. Then he told me Rob had a new girlfriend, so that was the reason he didn't answer the door. I went back to Rob's and he and he answered the door this time, told me I should have shot and to get after it. So I parked at his place and dove into the brush. Well, I chased that old cow around for about 3 hours that day and never again got close enough for a shot. The dang bull started shadowing me at one point, he parralleled me for over 3/4 of a mile along one hillside, staying about 100 yds below me all the time. He would sometimes grunt at me, but kept his distance. I wore myself out that morning and went back to give Pat an update about 1:30 that afternoon. Chuck, another neighbor, was there and informed me that those moose were making a circuit and would likely be on the ridge above his shop that evening, and I could sure hunt there if I wanted. Of course, I accepted and hunted that ridge that evening. I took my youngest son Justin with me in case I scored. We were sitting in a rock patch near a field edge and had seen nothing until just as we were about to leave. Justin said Dad, there is a moose over there. Well, dang if there wasn't, and it was that same old big dry cow, standing broadside at about 125 yards. Now this was end of legal shooting time, lighting was not good and fading fast. I stood to get a clear shot and leveled the ol' 356 at her. Upon firing I observed a large "poof" of dirt right under her, and she left the country!!! Justin looked at me in disbelief and gently asked "how in the hell did you do that??" Needless to say, I was not happy with myself, and was kinda confused about what had just happened. I believe what took place had to do with low light and peep sight. I know I did not have the best sight picture, low light, dark sight against dark target. I think I focused on the top of the sight ramp, not the actual top of the sight blade. Anyway, after conferring with Chuck and Pat (and taking lots of verbal abuse from them) it was agreed I could hunt there in the upcoming evenings after work if I wanted. I thanked them and Justin drove my sorry carcass home to rest. Next eve I was there and saw nothing, this time I had my trusty Ruger 1B in 270 tho. The following evening I was there again with the 270 and this time she showed right at dark again. She was facing me dead on at same distance of 125 yards so I centered her head and gave her one. Well, she disappeared of course and I went to assess damage. I found lots of blood and a couple bone chips. Trailed her for about 50 yards and gave up due to light. I went and told Pat, he said he would help, and I went to get my boys, and wife and better flashlights. We all trailed her for about 3/4 mile that night and ran out of blood!! I was having a hard time with that. Next morning I called the boss and told him I would not be in, Pat and another neighbor, Loren went with me and we resumed the hunt. We never found any more blood from the previous night, it just ended. Well we all scoured that hillside for over 3 hours, nothing. Loren had seen 2 moose up the draw and to the east of us but he said they were plumb healthy. I was sick, and worn out. Pat suggested we get back to the pick-up and drive up the field edge to the east just to see if we could spot anything as we would be looking down into the timber. We drove about 1/2 mile along that ridge/ field edge and then spotted a BIG cow!! down in the bottom. We all looked her over, she just stood there. Pat had the bino's and said it was a young bull. I could not see any horns and neither could Loren. I thought there was something wrong with her head/ face, and so did Loren. After about 20 minutes of this I made my decision and told them I was pretty sure that was the cow I had hit last night. I told them I was gonna shoot and then got a perch up on a big rock to clear some brush in the way. Range was about 180 yards, I had 270, she was broadside. I put 2 into her and loaded the third, by this time she had turned some and was heading away so I put the third one into the back of her neck. She continued on for a few steps and I saw her go down and roll. Whew!!! what a relief. By the way, when we got to her, yup, that was the one I had shot the previous evening. I had tried for between the eyes but was low and shot her thru the muzzle, missing brain and spine, hence all the blood. Good part was she expired on an old logging road so we drove the pick-up to her and hitched her on. Drug her on down to Chucks shop and dressed and skinned her there with the hoist and lots of other help. Here are some pics.

Here is where she finally laid down

Much easier than quartering them and packing on mules

A little closer shot of "the pick-up hitch"

The gut and skin process, big hoist is nice for moose

Hanging

Not boolits, sorry. Just the venerable .270 Hornady 130 grainers.
JW

petroid
12-27-2014, 03:11 PM
Sure glad you got her! Both ethically and for the meat. That would have been a sorry way for her to go had you not persevered and made a humane kill. Good on ya!

white eagle
12-27-2014, 03:45 PM
excellent out come thats the way it should happen
enjoy

4719dave
12-27-2014, 03:57 PM
that's nice to see you never gave up ..I've lost friends because someone was lazy and gave up ..

TXGunNut
12-27-2014, 04:11 PM
Good job, glad you persevered and got some meat in your freezer instead of having it die an unpleasant death and feed varmints. Looks like a lot of work, glad you had some help. Sort of makes me glad our TX deer aren't very big. I can generally load one into my pickup alone if need be but it gets a little harder each year, deer must be getting bigger, lol.

NSB
12-27-2014, 04:41 PM
I'm happy you got the moose but this only points out why a head shot is a poor shot to take. It could have easily ended up with you not getting the moose. During the last 53 years of hunting, I've seen a good number of head shot deer running around waiting to die a lingering death. I recall seeing two that had their lower jaw shot off and a couple more with huge holes in their snouts. In addition I've seen a good number with holes in their ears. It's just not the good shot everyone thinks it is. Lots can happen shooting at a live critter and not having a bench rest. Glad you got her.

horsesoldier
12-27-2014, 10:08 PM
Congrats!!!

Three44s
12-27-2014, 11:35 PM
Got to hand it to you to make sure you were ok on your friend's land!

And really go to hand it to you for sticking with getting that wounded moose! That's rare these days!

And as your story attests: Good guys win playing by the rules!

Best regards

Three 44s

smoked turkey
12-27-2014, 11:50 PM
Good story and an even better ending. What I see here is some real good neighbors that are willing to let you hunt on them and then are also willing to help with the process of getting it in and skinning it out. Looks like a lot of good meat.

starmac
12-28-2014, 01:19 AM
Congrats with a happy ending. Just guessing here, but I bet if you run out of freezer space, your neighbors would be good enough to let you put some meat in their freezer. Always helps to have and be good neighbors.

Huntsman
12-28-2014, 02:26 AM
Job well done, congrats!
Glad you kept after her.
Looks like you got photo bombed by the antlers hanging in the background in last pic lol.

JSH
12-28-2014, 10:40 AM
I am also glad you pushed forth and got your moose.
I am with NSB on this. One more reason to avoid head and neck shots. IMHO I rank that right there with gut shooting. Poke a whole in heart or lungs and there done fairly quick.

Idaho Mule
12-28-2014, 12:05 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. I was reluctant to share the whole story, but then decided it was best to do so. It shows that sometimes things can take a wrong turn, but if you keep after it the final outcome can still be good. I will stand by my headshot- I know lots of guys are against but I still consider it a good shot under the right circumstances. Not looking to start any fights about it, just my opinion. I have over 40 years hunting experience and feel pretty confident to make my own decisions. I agree that I am blessed with some great neighbors, they are a great bunch. We all help each other out when ever someone needs help, and they are all welcome to hunt my ground too. And yes starmac, everyone gets to share in the bounty, wouldn't have it any other way. I did not go after elk this year (other than bird dogging for sons) because of the moose tag so I am glad I got her, the meat is needed. Thanks all. JW

roverboy
12-28-2014, 06:41 PM
Congratulations. Glad you found her.

ammohead
12-28-2014, 10:06 PM
Good job John. Great story.

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot
12-29-2014, 07:22 PM
Hey there Mule, so that is where my Ideeeeeho cow moose tag went!

At least, I'd been shooting a "real rifle"! :bigsmyl2:

I also am not a head/neck shooter, only taking one with the 45/70 and a cast boolit, and not likely to ever take another even though that one was successful.

Anyway, congrats and glad you got er taken care of.

Good eat'in there!

Been real quiet from your direction!

Crusty Deary Ol'Coot

Hogdaddy
12-29-2014, 07:51 PM
My favorite shot is a neck shot,, on the Fl whitetail.. They do the Bang Flop ; ) PS Congrats on sticking it out..
H/D

onceabull
12-30-2014, 11:15 AM
Fine story,Sir; MIght have been much shorter had you not been trying to do something with that sorry BB 356..I'd try to hunt down the shyster who laid that off on you...Local rumor is that one of his customers was able to convince him to take a rifle back,only deducting $300 from the purchase price for the short term lease..Better to turn back the 307 W.,too, B4 you lose another opportunity...Ask for a package deal...Add on points earned,though,for endeavoring to persevere till successful... [smilie=w:Onceabull