PDA

View Full Version : I know this is nuts, please save me from myself...

LeadThrower
02-19-2008, 12:01 AM
My 357 was getting lonely, and just yesterday a Marlin 1894C somehow found its way into my car and followed me home.[smilie=1: So now I have this lunatic idea that a real thumper would be a blast in these firearms, and since my source of lead is cheap and powder is expensive I should cast heavy boolits that require less powder and justify this in the name of "Saving Money". Now, I read in Sixguns that 200 grains projectiles were common enough, and then at the LASC site I read Glen Fryxell's article on the all-around 357 projectile -- lyman's 358627, a 220 swc, and I start to shake and sweat...

After a few minutes on some design software I can see a long and sexy 215 grain beauty with a good 76% meplat with 80ish% bearing surface that, by my measurements, will fit both the revolver and the Marlin like a dream. It will fly at sub gas-check speeds, so there's savings there, too (until I stuff it into my 35 whelen). What can I do? Can someone speak to my rational side and explain why this is surely the path of folly? Otherwise, I'm likely to spend a wad of cash on a custom mould (or an equal sum on some dreaded auction site for the '627) just to save a fraction of a cent on powder and toss more lead around. I need your help! Tell me some earnest truth like "heavy boolits don't kill game, only light ones do" or "you can't cast boolits over 200 grains without a special license" or...:-?

LeadThrower

6pt-sika
02-19-2008, 12:09 AM
I have a no longer made Lyman 215 grain SWC GC mould that I use in my two Marlin 1894 357 MAG's.

But I don't remmember if the number is 358627 or what .

A friend gave it to me about 6 years ago for use in the 35 REM leverguns . Now it's my preferred bullet for the 357 rifles !

And NO it's not for sale [smilie=1:

LeadThrower
02-19-2008, 12:18 AM
Great, tease me, why don't you? I call out for help and what do I get?:wink:
Now I won't be able to sleep tonight, thank you very much!:coffee:

Pilgrim
02-19-2008, 12:24 AM
My 35-200 casts ACWW (+2% tin) about where you are looking for your custom boolit. Mine with GC and lubed with LBT Blue (all grooves filled) weighs about 213 gr IIRC. Pilgrim

jim4065
02-19-2008, 01:08 AM
:roll: Didn't we just finish a Group Buy for the 358627 in a Lee 6 cavity? I think so, cause I bought one (and probably have no use for it - the 180 grain gc GB is as heavy as I need).

Haven't used it yet - might make good tradin' stock? [smilie=1:

Buckshot
02-19-2008, 02:34 AM
..............I really don't see the issue :-) So what's the problem?

.................Buckshot

IcerUSA
02-19-2008, 03:56 AM
He just want's somebody to say it's O. K. to do that. Then if goes wrong he can blame it on someone other than his self . :) GO FOR IT .

Keith

EDK
02-19-2008, 04:24 AM
You might find someone to sell you his group buy 358627 or a LYMAN original, but two things to consider.

1. It's a gas check design.

2. They know what they got and nobody is currently making them! Unless you go to a custom mould, you're jumping into a sellers market! The LYMANs went for $125+ on internet auctions and I'm the lucky bidder on Dave Breen's.....it's been too cold and I haven't had a chance to cast some boolits and play with them in my 357 MARLIN COWBOY and assorted Original Size VAQUEROS.

If no one offers you something, take a look at the SAECOs. Most of the heavy weights are gas checked, but there is a 180 PB. I'm waiting for the RANCH DOG 358 190 in June or July...another gas check designed for Marlins. I just got a 432 265 for my 44 and have high hopes for the 357 design. A round nose-flat point will feed better in your Marlin!

Good Luck

:cbpour::redneck::Fire:

6pt-sika
02-19-2008, 04:33 AM
I failed to mention earlier !

I have the "original" Ranch Dog 359-180 grain mould as well as the new addition 359-190 . I have yet to get to the range with the 190 grainer , but I can tell you that the 180 grain Ranch Dog shoots very very well in my 356 WIN .

So if you want a reasonable way out in a heavier 35 cal bullet , give some seriouse thought to RD's 359-190 mould . They should be on his shelf for sale in about 6 months give or take a couple weeks ! And he will sell you one for about $50 plus shipping !!! And thats a 6 cavity mould [smilie=1:

EDK
02-19-2008, 05:29 AM
You just made my day! I was wondering if RD was going to offer the 359-190 in a six cavity from his store...Anything less than a 4 cavity is like water torture to me! I was assuming that RD would only stock 2 cavity moulds and I'd have to wait for another group buy or someone willing to sell his.

I can handle a single cavity for my 50/90 SHILOH LRX, but I need higher levels of production for 357 and 44 pistol cartridges. Currently a 620 grain Brooks for LEAH(If you've called Shiloh, you know Lucinda, Ellen and Heather in the office.) I have to send Red River Rick some yankee dollars for a paper patch mould.

My little 357 MARLIN Cowboy will get a lot more range time when I get the RD 190 mould. Has anyone tried them in a revolver?

Thanks again, my friend!

:drinks: :cbpour::redneck:

Lloyd Smale
02-19-2008, 06:44 AM
i think hes talking about making another run of them this spring.
You just made my day! I was wondering if RD was going to offer the 359-190 in a six cavity from his store...Anything less than a 4 cavity is like water torture to me! I was assuming that RD would only stock 2 cavity moulds and I'd have to wait for another group buy or someone willing to sell his.

I can handle a single cavity for my 50/90 SHILOH LRX, but I need higher levels of production for 357 and 44 pistol cartridges. Currently a 620 grain Brooks for LEAH(If you've called Shiloh, you know Lucinda, Ellen and Heather in the office.) I have to send Red River Rick some yankee dollars for a paper patch mould.

My little 357 MARLIN Cowboy will get a lot more range time when I get the RD 190 mould. Has anyone tried them in a revolver?

Thanks again, my friend!

:drinks: :cbpour::redneck:

LeadThrower
02-19-2008, 09:12 AM
Thanks for the suggestions regarding other moulds. I think I can survive the wait for Ranch Dog's 190.

Funny, though, I can't imagine why nobody here can talk me into leaving my money in my wallet. :wink:

I guess going to the bar with one's drinking problem ain't gonna solve a darned thing, eh?

+1 to EDK's question: anyone shot RD's 180 through a revolver?

JSnover
02-19-2008, 09:52 AM
Funny, though, I can't imagine why nobody here can talk me into leaving my money in my wallet. :wink:

C'mon... Your friends aren't interested in saving your money.
Overheard at the range a few weeks ago, after another shooter had emptied the cylinder of his buddys .500 SW; "I only talked him into buying it cuz I knew he'd let me shoot it!"
:-D

woody1
02-19-2008, 10:52 PM
This heavy boolit load didn't work for me. I think you're wasting your time!

Regards, Woody

IcerUSA
02-20-2008, 04:25 AM
Gee Woody , don't ya just hate it when they group that bad . :) Nice shootin .

Keith