PDA

View Full Version : Need help with a S&W bodyguard 380 and Promag 10 rd magazine

russs
12-27-2014, 12:19 AM
I have a new S&W Bodyguard 380 that works great with the factory 6 rd magazine. I bought a Pro Mag 10 rd Mag for it and I can not get the mag functioning properly. When the mag is loaded the first 4 or 5 bullets tend to nose dive in the mag and not feed. After those are gone the rest tend to feed fine. I have changed the follower from the functioning factory mag to the pro mag and that did not make any difference. Any ideas on how to make the 10 rd magazine function?
Thanks
Russs

35remington
12-28-2014, 01:15 PM
Yes. Don't use a 10 round magazine.

What you have found is caused by the increased gap between the top feeding rounds and the one below. Load both 10 round and 6 round magazines fully. Push down on the top round in the magazine on each. You'll notice the top round on the 10 rounder "dives" more before the round below stops it.

This is endemic to 10 round magazines of the single stack type. 1911's suffer from it too, and it is why they are known to be less reliable and more prone to nosediving when 10 round magazines are substituted for 7 rounders.

There is no effective way for you to get around it as it's a product of the gap induced. 1911 shooters sometimes get around it by making sure the frame ramp is extra deep to account for the nosediving and "catch" the diving round, but that's a gun modification step you cannot do. It cannot be done working on the magazines alone.

Sorry. Truth is not pleasant sometimes.

russs
12-30-2014, 05:01 PM
UPDATE: I stretched the spring in the magazine and now the magazine works much better. I don't know if it will last but I will update after awhile.
Russs

DCM
12-30-2014, 11:43 PM
I agree with 35Rem.

Also I have had bad experiences with promags, so I will stop there rather than getting banned.

Tackleberry41
12-31-2014, 09:43 PM
Gonna have to go with what was said about hi cap single stack mags. The rounds do have a little taper to them, works with 10rds and under, but becomes an issue over that amount, and why you havent seen any sort of higher cap single stack mag ever used in a military weapon.

Lots of people ask why hi point never made mags bigger than 10 rds, reliability. The gun works with 10rds, but the hi cap aftermarket ones tend to be questionable.

And there is also the fact its promag, I have bought a few here or there, usually due to lack of choice. It was always coin toss if they would work decent.

Not really sure the point in a 10rd mag for a S&W bodyguard, I have one, never really looked for a higher cap mag.