PDA

View Full Version : breech seater designs

Nobade
12-26-2014, 10:38 PM
OK, I am thinking about making a breech seater for my Ruger #1 rifle. There are many different ways to do this, does anybody have any good pictures or drawings of a design they really like that would work with a Ruger?

Thanks!

-Nobade

calaloo
12-27-2014, 08:32 AM
If nothing falls in the floor today I'll snap some pics of a couple that I have. Made by different makers. Both work very well.

calaloo
12-27-2014, 11:44 AM
125445125446Both of these are for a Ruger SS rifle, a No. 3 in my case. The one with the ebony and brass handle seats the bullet by swinging the handle forward. The other by pulling back on the handle. On the ebony and brass handled one the depth adjustment is made by turning the push rod in or out using a small rod inserted in a hole in the rod behind the shell casing. The shell casing floats on that one. On the other one the push rod is threaded into the hinge piece at he end of the handle and is secured with a set screw. The shell casing is permanently attached to the body on this one. The rod is turned by a screw driver slot in the brass pusher.

If you need any more information or measurements please PM me.

nekshot
12-27-2014, 09:01 PM
I heard of this type of shooting and always thought it was cool. Keep the info flowing, I love learning!

Nobade
12-27-2014, 09:12 PM
Thank you! I appreciate getting a look at these. Which one do you like better?

-Nobade

calaloo
12-28-2014, 09:15 AM
I use them both but probably use the ebony and brass handled one more. They both work very well and the craftsmanship on both is excellent. The pictured ones are for a .357 Maximum case shortened and necked down to .32 caliber. I have one here for .32-40 that was made by Russ Weber who advertises in various single shot magazines and one for a high wall that uses a plugged case so it can be used for any caliber. I'll post pics of them today.

JSnover
12-28-2014, 09:37 AM
Those are sweet! A friend of mine breech-seats his 30-30 falling block using a modified case and a small mallet. I'd rather use a proper tool but I've seen him put twenty consecutive shots into a 5" group at 200 yards.

Artful
12-28-2014, 05:33 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v311/mjpetrov/BS4-1.jpg
Lyman made one

calaloo
12-30-2014, 06:18 PM
Well, I guess better late than never. The smaller one is made by Russ Weber and is for a Stevens model 44 1/2 in .32-40. The larger one is for a Winchester High Wall and can be used for any caliber because it uses a plugged shell casing to seat the bullet.

dragon813gt
12-30-2014, 06:21 PM
So am I to assume that you load each round individually? So you're doing everything at the time of shooting.

calaloo
12-30-2014, 06:23 PM
125755125756Well, I guess better late than never. The smaller one is made by Russ Weber and is for a Stevens model 44 1/2 in .32-40. The larger one is for a Winchester High Wall and can be used for any caliber because it uses a plugged shell casing to seat the bullet.

rbertalotto
12-30-2014, 06:30 PM
So am I to assume that you load each round individually? So you're doing everything at the time of shooting.

You are not actually "Loading a round"...You are shoving a bullet up into the lands of the barrel. About a 1/16th of an inch beyond the length of a case. This is why you need some type of "bullet Seater"

Then you fill the case with powder...some use a wad to hold the powder from spilling if it is a full case of black powder. You put the cartridge full of powder behind the bullet and pull the trigger.....repeat using the same piece of brass. Pop the primer out, reprime. No need to size the case as you are not going to put a bullet into it.