PDA

View Full Version : New design Lee 2 cavity molds

wlc
12-26-2014, 09:59 PM
I just recently bought a new Lee mold (452-300RF). I like the new molds. Leementing is not as needed as on the older style. That said, I started getting flash on the bases the other day and figured that the sprue plate was in need of just a little loosening. I can't get the stinking screw to break loose. Tried it with the mold at casting temp and when completely cold. Won't budge. I don't want to booger up the head, what can I do.

dkf
12-26-2014, 10:06 PM
Does your mold have an LH stamped on it? Lee in their infinite wisdom went to a left hand screw for the sprue plate.

wlc
12-27-2014, 04:33 AM
I didn't even think of that.... I'll take a look tomorrow. Thanks!!!

echo154
12-27-2014, 03:28 PM
Yeah that darn left handed screw got me too!:evil:

Eddie17
12-30-2014, 03:38 PM
Does your mold have an LH stamped on it? Lee in their infinite wisdom went to a left hand screw for the sprue plate.
Good catch!

30Carbine
12-30-2014, 09:27 PM
Yep got a nice right hand heli coil in my first new style mold. wouldn't come out sooooo got a bigger screw driver, DON'T do that..

25ring
01-23-2015, 12:32 PM
Yep got a nice right hand heli coil in my first new style mold. wouldn't come out sooooo got a bigger screw driver, DON'T do that..
Too late,already did! I don't read directions either! I didn't put in a heli coil,but drilled it out to 1/4-28 and put in a socket cap screw.If it doesn't hold I may drill and tap the mould for a set screw. I still feel like a idiot!

Elkins45
01-24-2015, 12:55 PM
I hope mine never gets loose. I don't have a left handed screwdriver.

petroid
01-24-2015, 04:48 PM
You can use a right-handed screwdriver. You just have to use it left handed. And you might have to hang uoside-down

stubby1
01-24-2015, 04:54 PM
You can use a right-handed screwdriver. You just have to use it left handed. And you might have to hang uoside-down

A right handed tool will work for this if you live in the southern hemisphere.

duck hollow pete
01-24-2015, 05:07 PM
We southpaws feel if everything was lefthanded, including the screw threads, the world would run alot smoother!

Doggonekid
01-25-2015, 06:07 PM
Any screw driver can be a left handed screw driver you just have to be standing on the other side.

LynC2
01-25-2015, 06:13 PM
Any screw driver can be a left handed screw driver you just have to be standing on the other side.

True, but one has to be using the right side of the brain to do it. :-P

prs
01-25-2015, 06:30 PM
You guys must not know Jack. All Ya gotta do is put the regular screwdriver handle in a vice all nice 'n tight. Than hold the mold with the screw slot placed onto the screw driver bit and then the mold lefty loosey. Give me the world and I will turn a place to stand on.

prs

LynC2
01-25-2015, 07:43 PM
You guys must not know Jack. All Ya gotta do is put the regular screwdriver handle in a vice all nice 'n tight. Than hold the mold with the screw slot placed onto the screw driver bit and then the mold lefty loosey. Give me the world and I will turn a place to stand on.

prs

Sorry, but that doesn't work with the new Lee molds. They have a LH thread, so you just stripped the threads!

BeemerMark
01-25-2015, 08:18 PM
Holy cow. I have a brand new 2 cavity mold and had just got it casting right when the sprue plate screw fell out. Spend an hour trying to put it back. Figured wither there was a little lead on the threads or that I had bunged up the threads. Was going out to buy a new thread die tomorrow.