PDA

View Full Version : Lyman 358315 mould question

mac266
12-26-2014, 09:41 PM
This is a 200 grain, .35 caliber, gas checked, round nose. The Lyman Cast Bullet Manual says it was specifically designed for the .35 Remington, which is why I bought it.

I bought this mould from a guy on this forum, and it looks great. I was so excited when it arrived in the mail today that I cleaned it, put my handles on, and fired up the lead pot. It worked great, but I have a question.

My question is: There are two grooves in the bullet. I assume the lower one is for lube and the upper one is a crimp groove. However, the crimp groove is shaped differently than the lube groove, and has a slanted angle going up from the bearing surface toward the tip -- like one would expect with a crimp groove. However, it is very, *very* deep for a crimp groove. It's as deep as the lube groove!

There is no way I'm going to crimp that hard. I can't imagine a mould being designed to do so, either. Should I set the lube-sizer so it fills the both grooves with lube and put a medium-light crimp just above the top groove so it's completely covered with brass?

dubber123
12-26-2014, 09:48 PM
You can do that, or just adjust your crimp die to apply whatever you want for a crimp just at the top edge of the groove. That will prevent setback in tubular magazines. You don't have to crimp all the way to the bottom. The extra lube might not hurt either, I'd try both ways. You owe it to yourself to try the RCBS 200 RF if you haven't yet..

pworley1
12-26-2014, 10:32 PM
I use it in the 35 Whelen. Its works as a crimp grove very well for me.

Yodogsandman
12-26-2014, 11:33 PM
The 358315 has worked well for me in the 35 Remmy.