PDA

View Full Version : M9 & #105

Tatume
12-26-2014, 08:09 PM
Jeff Bartlett at GIBrass.com used to sell nearly identical M9 and #105, both also marked "Unique" on the bottles. If anybody is familiar with them, can you tell me what commercial powder they most closely resemble? I'm not asking for load data, I want to know what powder looks like these.

KYCaster
12-26-2014, 08:51 PM
I got an 8 lb. jug of #105 from Jeff when he first offered it.

I started with Unique data as recommended....5.0 gr. behind 200 gr. H&G68. First shot went 1100 fps.

Turned out to be somewhere between Bullseye and W231/HP38.

Didn't "LOOK" like any other powder I've ever seen. It was basically squareish flakes similar in size to Red Dot, but had many strings that looked like the individual flakes didn't get completely separated. Didn't work worth diddly through any powder measure I have. Finally used it all by weighing 13,000 individual charges.

Good luck with it.
Jerry

Scooby
12-26-2014, 11:38 PM
I had the US M9 stuff a few years ago tried in pistol couldn't get it to throw a consistent charge so I used it for 12ga trap loads it was consistent in a mec bushing. It was a big flake powder real course and kind of wavy. If I remember right the stuff I had said to use AA#2 data, however that was a few years ago so I know I shot all those shells up and the jug is long gone. I got if from the guy that Bartlett gets it from.

alamogunr
12-27-2014, 12:48 AM
I've got most of an 8# jug that I got from Bartlett several years ago. I've used a little in .45 ACP but not enough to determine speed. The jug says that it should be close to AA#5. The loads I used were beginning loads for AA#5. Not enough to tell if the load was inaccurate or I was inaccurate.

I'm going to try to get back to it in the spring and see if I have any luck w/.45ACP. I would like to use it up.

EDIT! That should be a 6# jug. Not sure why except it is bulky.

TCLouis
12-29-2014, 12:38 AM
My older batch of #105 matched Unique, BUT as I remember it Bartlett later offered a powder with that designation and it was AA# 2 speed.

10.5 grains of my #105 with Lee 340 grainer gave me a very accurate 1105 fps in the 45-70.

The batch of M9 I had was very slow in comparison so will not tell you how I use mine.

Each lot of Milsurp by the same name can be very VERY different burn rate so ALWAYS check data for your lot before loading.

alamogunr
12-29-2014, 01:33 AM
My #105 matched Unique.

10.5 grains with Lee 340 grainer gave me a very accurate 1105 fps in the 45-70.

The batch of M9 I had was very slow in comparison so will not tell you how I use mine.

Each lot of Milsurp by the same name can be very VERY different burn rate so ALWAYS check data for your lot before loading.

How do you determine that a non-canister powder matches the burn rate of a known canister powder? I would think that the loads of each would be equal and a chronograph support equal(within limits) velocities. Is this correct?

runfiverun
12-29-2014, 03:36 PM
yep a side by side is about the only way.
if you have an unknown burn rate powder but know it's a pistol type powder, compare weighed loads against a weighed load of canister powder, and shoot over a chronograph.
i.e 4 grs of it and 4 of bullseye, 4.5 of it and green-dot, 5.0 of it and unique, working your way on down the line.
if you are within 25 fps or so you found your load data to use.

Tatume
12-29-2014, 07:50 PM
Jeff Bartlett answered my question. Thanks.