PDA

View Full Version : New DA revovler - RH in .45 Colt, SW 627, GP in .327 FM, or GP in .357?

Fergie
12-26-2014, 03:04 PM
Hello all, hope the holidays are treating you well.

I've got a long running discussion in my head about what gun I'd like to purchase next. I am on somewhat of a budget, but that isn't a deciding factor.

I weighing my options and have it down to four different revolvers; 1) Redhawk in .45 Colt, 2) S&W 627, 3) GP in .327 federal magnum and finally, 4) GP in.357.

I already reload all these calibers, so taking on a new round isn't an issue. For the RH, I keep thinking that I will finally be able to load some hotter and heavier .45 Colt rounds. I enjoy shooting the stronger rounds, and my current EMF SA is not really suited for that.

The 627 would just be a fun gun to have. I reload .357/.38 extensively for my lever action and a 686 PC. I know the quality of the Smiths is great, but I keep coming back to my liking to shoot on the high side of the power spectrum and weighing this against the longevity of the Smith vs the GP in .357.

I know the GPs are built like tanks and will take the abuse just fine. They are a work horses and will function just fine for more rounds than I will shoot. If I get the GP in .357, I will most likely clean the 686PC up nicely, and set it aside in the safe for a while. This revolver will be the least expensive of the group, and that is a plus.

Finally, the GP in .327. I've got a Single Seven in this caliber, and like the round, but not the gun. I'm just not a SA fan. I'll hold on to it regardless, but would really like a .327 DA revolver. Having looked for close to a year for one of these, I know they are harder to come by and I will be paying a premium.

I'd like to hear your thoughts on the topic, namely because I don't have many folks around the area to bounce this kind of topic off of and see what all they think. Your input, experience and sage(or not) advice is appreciated.

Take care,
G

RobS
12-26-2014, 03:13 PM
I'm a 45 Caliber guy myself and wouldn't think twice.........Ruger Redhawk 45 Colt. It's very versatile regards to being able to shoot mouse fart loads while at the same time it can be a big game stopper. If you are looking at the 4" model it can be quite packable however it's not a light firearm.

I all depends on your intentions I suppose.

dilly
12-26-2014, 03:18 PM
Some people get their 45 Redhawk cylinders machined to allow for loading of moon clipped 45 acp rounds. That sounds pretty interesting to me.

rintinglen
12-26-2014, 11:30 PM
The notion that a GP 100 will long outlast a 586/86 is mildly laughable. I have seen several rental guns going strong after years of service. I'd get the Redhawk or the .327, but I have a safe full of 38's and 357's

Fergie
12-27-2014, 02:35 AM
The notion that a GP 100 will long outlast a 586/86 is mildly laughable. I have seen several rental guns going strong after years of service. I'd get the Redhawk or the .327, but I have a safe full of 38's and 357's

My thinking was more along the lines that several mfgs and books have Ruger Only loads; maybe due to OAL or pressures, but that was my reasoning. Granted, even though I shoot a good bit, will it honestly make a difference in longevity if I stay within loading specs? Probably not.

The weight of the RH won't be an issue either. I tote my .44 mag RH around the backcountry all the time. I like know the gun is there with just the weight alone.

The .327 would be great, but being a bit frugal, I'm reluctant to pay the premium, even though that premium is in line with the cost of the other guns, all said and done.

Lonegun1894
12-27-2014, 06:31 AM
I have a 6" GP100 .357 and a 4" RH .45 Colt. Both are great guns, but the choice falls down to what you intend to do. I mean, I personally don't like S&Ws. They're great guns, but I have seen a few have durability issues, so it made me a bit shy of them. The .327, I would stay away from just because, well, what can it do that you can't do better with a .38 Spl or a .357 Mag? And the .38/.357 uses more common components, and also doesn't command a premium like the .327 does. Going to the GP100 and RH, the .357 uses less powder and lead, but doesn't have the power of the .45 Colt, at least not since you mentioned the heavy "ruger only" loads. If my main use was paper punching and game the size of deer/hogs or smaller, I would take the .357. If the game is bigger, or the .357 isn't enough gun for your use for whatever reason, I would go with the RH. Or you could just do what I did and get both, but then you have to decide which to get first, which is almost as bad as deciding which one like you're trying to decide now.

Fergie
12-27-2014, 01:34 PM
...Or you could just do what I did and get both, but then you have to decide which to get first, which is almost as bad as deciding which one like you're trying to decide now.

That is a decent kind of problem to have.

The comparison between the .327 and .357 is always a good discussion, but for me, I grew up shooting a lot of .32 caliber pistols, so it is more an evolution of the nostalgia factor than anything else.

The powder usage was one thing I hadn't really considered. The other day I used up a pound of 2400 just loading up some .44 mag(368 or so rounds). I can get around 2200 rounds of .38/.357 from a pound of powder. I would imagine the .45 Colt would be a similar ratio.

The idea of getting the cylinder machined for .45 acp moon clips is a great option. I like being able to shoot more than one round from a gun....hence the .327, .357 and so on. Hmm...now I'm thinking about the .454 too...

Fergie
12-27-2014, 02:01 PM
And to throw in another possibility, a buddy just asked if I was interested in his Security Six in .357.

Now I need to look up how those pistols and see how it compares to the GP!

selpaw
12-27-2014, 04:31 PM
I have had several .357s and couple of 45s. Right now I have the Ruger RH .45 in 4.2 barrel. It is strong but a little heavy, smooth and accurate. You could do far worse and pay more. It is a pleasure to shoot and with the bore size one doesn't need to try for super speed although the gun will take it. selpaw

happie2shoot
12-28-2014, 02:25 AM
GP-100, every person should have one.

Years ago I was a full time gunsmith and serious shooter,
tested many GP-100s and every one tested would shoot
.750'' or under at 25yds.

A 6''GP will shoot a 187gr fngc, LBT, at 1500fps in 2 to 3''
at 100yds, thats my standard load.

The 686 can have a better da trigger but that is it.

MtGun44
12-29-2014, 12:00 AM
Hard to compare and contrast. No real interest personally in the .32s, GP is a really nice gun,
and my BH does the "heavy .45" slot for me. Going to boil down a LOT to personal preference.

Not sure the GP is going to be more durable than a 586 or current 686. Very early 686s had soft
tube that the cyl runs on and with 5-8000 rds of REALLY hot stuff could develop end shake, easily
and cheaply fixed by a smith. Later 686s use a different alloy in the crane, problem is gone.
586s never had a problem.

Bill

Fergie
12-29-2014, 09:44 PM
The 686PC I have is relatively new, produced within the last few years. Good to know on the earlier production models.

With the .45, I'm trying to convince myself that I need this more than the others, just because, but is the performance of a .45 Colt that much better than a .44 Magnum? Again, the EMF isn't really suited to routing target shooting and carry. It has been slicked up as a quick-draw gun, and it most likely to sit in the safe.

TCLouis
12-29-2014, 11:01 PM
NOT a 45 guy here, but that Redhawk in 45 LC would certainly be my first choice and #4 as second choice.

Lonegun1894
12-30-2014, 02:58 AM
The .45 is better than a .44, but not enough that your target will know the difference, and only if you handload your own heavy loads. I have both .44Mag and .45 Colt, and for equal (or within a few grains) weight bullets, at the same velocities (as per my chronograph) the .45 recoils less. Or at least the recoil isn't as sharp. It can also drive heavier bullets faster than the .44, and still not recoil as sharply as the .44. Don't get me wrong, I like and use both, but the .45 has a slight edge. Having said all that, I use both for the same tasks (paper, deer, hogs) and both work equally well, and have equal results on the game I hunt.

Groo
12-30-2014, 01:56 PM
Groo here
What do want to do with them???
The 32/32mag/327 seem too small to put in a GP The single six is just neet.
The Gp will be a little heaver/chunker than the 686, For heavy loads-- GP100
The speed six like a K frame smith. [Same-Same]
The Redhawk 45colt [ I have a 4in] is a tank to shoot and a ton to carry.
What ever trips your trigger.

ejcrist
12-30-2014, 04:08 PM
If you don't have a 45 Colt that will take warm/hot loads and plan on hunting with it I'd get that next. If hunting isn't in the picture I'd go with the 327. By chance have you considered a 32 H&R? S&W DA's will certainly command a premium but are very nice.

Fergie
12-30-2014, 11:36 PM
If you don't have a 45 Colt that will take warm/hot loads and plan on hunting with it I'd get that next. If hunting isn't in the picture I'd go with the 327. By chance have you considered a 32 H&R? S&W DA's will certainly command a premium but are very nice.

I've got an older Charter Arms in .32 H&R magnum that was the first gun I ever carried(out in the woods, during hunting season with my Dad).

Groo here
What do want to do with them???
The 32/32mag/327 seem too small to put in a GP The single six is just neet.
The Gp will be a little heaver/chunker than the 686, For heavy loads-- GP100
The speed six like a K frame smith. [Same-Same]
The Redhawk 45colt [ I have a 4in] is a tank to shoot and a ton to carry.
What ever trips your trigger.

The weight and size of the RH aren't an issue for me. I carry a .44mag RH now, and like the weight of the gun for the size of the cartridge.

I've got a Single Seven in .327 FM, and while I like the round, single actions aren't my cup of tea.

I think the decision is down to a .327 FM GP or the RH in .45 Colt.

The .327 GPs are scarce, but do come up for sale every once and awhile. The RHs are current production, but I may go for an older one in the 5.5" barreled version so it fits my holsters that I have now.

robertbank
12-31-2014, 12:50 PM
I am a fan of the Ruger GP-100 in a 4.2``.357MAG. The gun balances well, has an excellent trigger out of the box (I have a no dash Smith 686 4``plus and the triggers are identical. What the GP-100 has going for it are in my opinion:

1. Easily replaceable front sight.
2. Modern trigger group easily accessible for cleaning
3. Easy take down
4. Lighter ( a full ounce lighter than the No Dash 686
5. More robust frame
6. Lastly a three point lock up

Both guns are very accurate and are stoutly made. I favour the GP-100 for IDPA SSR Division and use the 686 as back up. Workmanship on both guns is excellent. My No Dash was made sometime ago and I would not compare it to the new Smiths coming out of the factory. If I did the GP-100 would have a 7th feature. Build quality the Smiths are not what they once were.

Take Care

Bob

Fergie
01-01-2015, 12:54 PM
I appreciate the feedback everyone.

Now I just need to wait and see what comes my way, or what all I find in my searching.

Thanks, and have a prosperous New Year!

Fergie
01-01-2015, 03:34 PM
This one just popped up locally...too rich for me, but cool nonetheless.
http://flagstaff.backpage.com/SportsEquipForSale/3000-colt-anaconda-45-long-colt/31082621

rintinglen
01-02-2015, 12:41 AM
Every time I see one of these for sale I look up in the skies and curse. I traded one for a 1938 re-blued Mauser mfg Luger back in the 90's, thinking I could easily replace it it--next thing I now Colt is kissing Clinton's Heinie and the Anacondas are gone. Colt has discontinued more good guns than most companies have ever made.

RobS
01-02-2015, 03:36 AM
This one just popped up locally...too rich for me, but cool nonetheless.
http://flagstaff.backpage.com/SportsEquipForSale/3000-colt-anaconda-45-long-colt/31082621

Not worth the coin for me either.

Fergie
01-06-2015, 12:43 PM
Well, I may have found an SP101 in .327 FM at a reasonable price. Hadn't considered one of these initially, but I am now.

fragman
01-06-2015, 07:23 PM
I would go for either the Redhawk in 45 or the GP 100 in .357. I have a redhawk in 44 Mag and a GP100 in .357. I also have a S&W 686, but that wasn't on your list.

The thing about the Redhawk is that because of it's single spring design, if you like to work in SA mode a lot, it's not the best SA trigger in the world. It's pretty heavy for a SA trigger and it's not really fixable with a spring change without messing with reliability. It is pretty good in DA though. Fairly light for DA too. Don't get me wrong, its not horrible by any means in SA, but the GP100 and the Super Redhawk have a better SA trigger.

The GP100 can be decent in both areas and, if you are into that kind of thing, more open to tuning using springs. I for one, just dry fired and live fired the snot out of my GP100. No stoning, no changed springs etc and its trigger is really great now. I usually shoot it DA but like to go SA sometimes.

bobthenailer
01-07-2015, 09:01 AM
My self i just about like all caliber handguns and everyone should have a few in every caliber !
one popular caliber i have never owned is the 40 S&W or 10mm , but one day if i run into a nice used 1911 in 10mm it might come home with me ! I allready have 1911's in 22lr, 9mm, 38 super, 45 acp

Green Frog
01-07-2015, 10:18 PM
Well, your OP narrows your choices down to two, IMHO... the RH 45 and the GP in 327. Since you have the SS in 327 already and seem to like the caliber but not the single action, it sounds like your choice is really for the GP. But then again I'm prejudiced in favor of that caliber. Then again, after you settle in with the GP, you can probably trade the SS against the RH and have both of your "first choices." Win ~ win! :mrgreen:

Froggie

Fergie
01-09-2015, 08:50 PM
Well, your OP narrows your choices down to two, IMHO... the RH 45 and the GP in 327. Since you have the SS in 327 already and seem to like the caliber but not the single action, it sounds like your choice is really for the GP. But then again I'm prejudiced in favor of that caliber. Then again, after you settle in with the GP, you can probably trade the SS against the RH and have both of your "first choices." Win ~ win! :mrgreen:

Froggie

I keep coming back to the RH in .45 Colt. I cannot bring myself to pay the markup on the GP in .327, or on the SP in .327 that I was looking at. Not at this point in time anyways.

I'll be in a large metro area this weekend, so I'll poke around at some of the shops and see what is available.

jonp
01-10-2015, 05:42 PM
Which one do you like better?

MrBFR
01-12-2015, 01:27 AM
Of those listed I'd take the Redhawk first followed by the GP100, but if you're looking into used then the chances of finding a GP100 is much higher than a Redhawk. Are you set on double action? You would probably have a good chance of finding a Ruger Blackhawk .45 Colt if you want a strong .45 for a good price.

3leggedturtle
01-12-2015, 09:26 PM
I would get the RH in 45. Just bring something with to measure the cylinders throats.

Fergie
04-21-2015, 06:53 PM
Well, I think I have come to the conclusion that I am getting rid of the .44 magnum RH I currently have, and moving over to 45 Colt. After reading up on the two calibers, I think the 45 will be versatile for me and what I like to do.

Oh, and since Ruger is coming out with that new SP in .327, my lack of a DA in that caliber is solved.