PDA

View Full Version : Curses, Foiled Again! (Primer Foil Color?)

Newtire
12-26-2014, 12:59 PM
I don't see a forum that this would fit in exactly so will try this one. Does anyone have a chart that shows what foil color=which primer that I could have a look at?

I searched all over the Internet and it usually taps out with someone telling everyone not to mix their primers up in the first place etc. etc.

I just want to know if anyone has any ideas about a chart with foil colors identifying different primers. That's what I would like to know-yup!

beroen
12-26-2014, 01:04 PM
You mean like remington and CCI are foil color and winchester is brass color?

beroen
12-26-2014, 01:06 PM
Oh you mean the color inside the anvil code yea I wondered where that chart is also lol

shooter93
12-26-2014, 08:09 PM
Email the companies. I use Federals and they told me once which color was which....I was just curious......but I don't have the list anymore.

Newtire
12-26-2014, 10:05 PM
Now that is a good idea, thanks shooter93. I suppose I should put together a chart and make it available to the group then! I have a mission! 125424

starmac
12-27-2014, 01:25 AM
If they are standardized, can't you just look at the packages of primers and tell?? Assuming you somehow mixed some up.

Newtire
12-27-2014, 09:57 AM
If they are standardized, can't you just look at the packages of primers and tell?? Assuming you somehow mixed some up.
Like I said in original post, this is what the threads usually digress into.

I got some cases with primers in them already. Don't know what they are. If you look down into the cases, you can see the foil color. This is why I need to know.

I don't have handy one package of each manufacturer's primers to look at or I guess I could do that.

blikseme300
12-27-2014, 10:25 AM
On a few occasions I have had primers in the same tray that were 2 different colors so I doubt if a chart would be definitive.

A thing I have learned is to document everything to prevent head-scratching later. I prep and prime rifle brass separately from the loading process and use zip-lock bags with sharpie notes to eliminate guessing.

Newtire
12-27-2014, 11:19 AM
On a few occasions I have had primers in the same tray that were 2 different colors so I doubt if a chart would be definitive.

A thing I have learned is to document everything to prevent head-scratching later. I prep and prime rifle brass separately from the loading process and use zip-lock bags with sharpie notes to eliminate guessing.
Yeah, no doubt! Great idea but already have the cases with no bag and no marks. What I'm gathering is noone knows how to identify them by the foil color, same as me...No big deal though, just thought I'd ask. This will remain one of the great mysteries of 2014. Happy New Year everyone!

starmac
12-27-2014, 03:01 PM
I have several different brands of primers, so I could look and see. I never paid any attention to the foil colors, and kind of doubt if they are standardized. What cases are they in, rifle or handgun?

freebullet
12-27-2014, 05:31 PM
Large er small ?

JWFilips
12-27-2014, 06:33 PM
Interesting to note: I have some present day Winchester Large rifle primers ( Brass ): The color inside is Green and the residue left when fired isn't easily removed even if Citric acid washed Dried & Tumbled in Walnut media...Still need a good scouring with a Primer pocket cleaner. I also have Old Winchester Large Rifle primers ( White metal) from 1980's They are Red inside. They clean up instantly in the Citric acid wash and are gone before the Walnut media....Go figure!

Newtire
12-28-2014, 10:55 AM
Large er small ?

These are small and the foil is green. Primer cup color is brighter colored brass as opposed to some I've seen that are a darker shade.

c1skout
12-28-2014, 10:07 PM
I went and checked what I have.

Remington 6 1/2 - green
Remington 7 1/2 - orange
CCI 400 - yellow
CCI 450 - yellow
CCI 500 - yellow
CCI 500 - orange (these are at least 15 years old)
CCI 550 - orange
WSP - brown
Federal 200 - lt. green

I know that's not all of them but it's what I have on hand right now. I just recently ran out of Remington 1 1/2 and I think they were green also.

Newtire
12-28-2014, 11:04 PM
Thanks for the help guys. Looking like I have some Remington small rifle 6 1/2. I checked some WSP regular and they were red. I have some WSP mag out in the garage so will check those tomorrow.