PDA

View Full Version : mmm, coffee

labradigger1
12-26-2014, 08:30 AM
Curious how many of us start our day with fresh coffee and cast boolis website in front of us.
I am an early riser and start every single day the same way, wake up, start the coffee, let the doggies out, grab the coffee, set in my lazy boy in front of the wood stove and turn on the tablet to cb.
Not too many things better, well some things are better.
I am a folgers classic roast man myself.
Lab

farmerjim
12-26-2014, 08:40 AM
Community Dark Roast and cast boolits starts the day for me.

LynC2
12-26-2014, 08:48 AM
Pretty much the same routine with me letting the dogs out, putting on the Folgers and turning on the PC. :coffeecom

winelover
12-26-2014, 08:49 AM
I too, am partial to dark roasts .:coffee:

Winelover

jeepyj
12-26-2014, 08:53 AM
After my five minute prep routine I head down to let the dog out, snap on the coffee maker, turn on the news to see the weather, sit down and open the IPad and get my fifteen minutes of peace on CB before starting the day's grind. Love this place!
jeepyj

oldarkie
12-26-2014, 09:09 AM
same for me.sure do miss that community coffee.i spent the winter in st francisville back in 82.

Horace
12-26-2014, 09:18 AM
French roast,news and CB.

Horace

farmerjim
12-26-2014, 09:19 AM
same for me.sure do miss that community coffee.i spent the winter in st francisville back in 82.
I lived in Montreal Canada for 12 years. I had Community Coffee shipped to Peru, NY and I would pick it up every month.
There Wasn't much in St Francisville back in 82, Not a lot now.

oldarkie
12-26-2014, 09:27 AM
I had it shipped to kc mo for years,im retired now and really cant afford it now.i worked on tower line out of river bend

farmerjim
12-26-2014, 09:33 AM
They were all set to put a second nuke on the River Bend site, but the present Regime in DC put a stop to it.

osteodoc08
12-26-2014, 09:37 AM
Wow. Never knew community coffee was so popular. I started drinking it also 15 years ago when me and the ex were still married. Besides my kids, probably the best thing from that relationship.

All joking aside, as soon as I log on the net, CB is the first place I go. It is typically on my smart phone, and with a cup of fresh brewed community coffee. Splash of creamer and sugar.

Petrol & Powder
12-26-2014, 09:41 AM
Yep; coffee, news, cast boolits & feed dogs.

375supermag
12-26-2014, 09:57 AM
Hi...

No coffee here...Tea drinker Earl Grey hot and black.

Usually log on Cast Boolits around 4:15AM after checking the news and weather before I start my work day.

Weekends (Sunday) I usually sleep in to 5:00-6:00AM unless I have early morning plans. I usually work Saturday, when I am off it is either a hunting or shooting trip with my son or tasks about the estate. Always up by 6:00AM, either way. Hot Earl Grey regardless...check the Internet and Cast Boolits, if I have time.

Haven't slept much later than that in years except on rare occasions. Even if I wanted to, there is a very spoiled Black Lab that lives here that believes it is his appointed duty to get me out of bed as early as possible every day. After 14 years (it is his birthday today Dec.26), I have come to the conclusion that sleeping late is a luxury that he does not believe I need.

dave 45-90
12-26-2014, 10:01 AM
Folgers Black Silk, Drudge, Cast Bullets

**oneshot**
12-26-2014, 10:01 AM
Kiss wife good morning, coffee, weather check(stick my head out the door), Cast Boolits. The order of this may change or be omitted depending on when wife wakes up and if it's hunting season.

JonB_in_Glencoe
12-26-2014, 10:20 AM
I started loading my expresso machine with duplex loads :bigsmyl2:
A Sumatra dark "extra fine" grind next to the filter delivers a velvety smooth, toasted chocolatiness. And the Dollar store "perc" grind on top gives a nice nuttiness to the brew.
....and CB on the laptop

atr
12-26-2014, 10:30 AM
Same here JonB
get the coffee brewed, start a fire in the wood stove to get the house a little warmer, sometimes just look at the stars in the dark early morning sky.

labradigger1
12-26-2014, 10:47 AM
Same here JonB
get the coffee brewed, start a fire in the wood stove to get the house a little warmer, sometimes just look at the stars in the dark early morning sky.
Ahh! Lifes little pleasures!

cbrick
12-26-2014, 11:02 AM
Curious how many of us start our day with fresh coffee and cast boolis website in front of us. Lab

That's a curious question, do you mean there's another way? :mrgreen:

Grind beans, fill coffee maker with water & put grinds in and then the dog can go out. Turn on puter & weather/news.

Rick

blackthorn
12-26-2014, 11:03 AM
Up around 5:30-6 AM. Make tea, feed cat, check weather on computer and on to Cast Boolits. Took me ten years of retirement to get to the point I could sleep to 6 AM. Used to get up at 4 and at my desk by 5. Last job I had I could set my own hour to start as long as they got the 7 hours required under the terms of hire. We were on a 35 hour week but I don't think I ever gave them less than 45. Just the nature of the job, and I have always given any employer more than required----so long as they left me alone and played fair!

btroj
12-26-2014, 11:03 AM
Ipad and Diet Coke.

I probably shouldn't say this but I can even post from the throne.

1989toddm
12-26-2014, 11:10 AM
Home roasted coffee through a french press(way better flavor than a drip machine), drop in my chair and open CB. This morning Im trying a Brazilian coffee as Im roasting small batches for Christmas gifts tomoro. Im on call today, got my fingers crossed that I get no calls!

dragon813gt
12-26-2014, 11:11 AM
Nope, caffeine is just another drug. My morning wakeup is a pint of OJ. Which if course is full of another drug, sugar :p

I check the site from my iPhone in the morning so let your imagination run wild :)

cbrick
12-26-2014, 11:13 AM
Ipad and Diet Coke.

That explains the brown spots on your posts! :veryconfu Diet Coke? That stuff will kill ya, get some coffee.

Rick

btroj
12-26-2014, 11:15 AM
I don't do warm beverages.

Sweetpea
12-26-2014, 11:27 AM
Ipad and Diet Coke.

Gee, Brad...

I've been known to post from the throne, but I've never needed refreshments!:shock:

Multigunner
12-26-2014, 11:31 AM
Gevaila coffeee. Best I've found so far.
Stockholm Roast is a good every day cup o joe, but Royal Vintner is the premo.

waynem34
12-26-2014, 11:42 AM
Always wished I loved the taste of java.I have always loved the smell of it and the ability to keep my hands warm.I take my mother coffee most mornings with breakfast.She likes it with nothing but strong coffee.

buckwheatpaul
12-26-2014, 11:53 AM
We have a couple that roast coffee beans....we use their special blend......coffee, a good dog, and Cast Boolit Family early in the morning....it just doesn't get any better....Happy New Year guys and gals!!!!!!!

Bo1
12-26-2014, 12:24 PM
Community medium roast, let the dog out, head to work, and log onto Cast Boolits... usually end up in chat visiting with friends and fellow casters for about an hour...
Bo

backhoe
12-26-2014, 12:42 PM
Four cups of instant Folgers,black only , wake up the wife so she can go to work , then I can get down to being retired.

dtknowles
12-26-2014, 12:43 PM
I don't usually get to cast bullets until my second cup.

Tim

mold maker
12-26-2014, 01:08 PM
Up at 5 with a trip to the john. Start the coffee, fix breakfast and wake the wife. Eat and straiten through the house. Check the Emails (for business), than finally to CB. Being retired is a lot of fun, but it takes a long time to get there.
CB is also the last thing before sleep.

HeavyMetal
12-26-2014, 01:10 PM
The "new" GF has really spoiled me for the last 3 or so year:

Fresh Cup of Joe on the night stand every morning is what I wake up to, a quick stop to the BR and I hit CastBoolits while she makes breakfast.

Then the rest of my day happens: week days it's work week ends it's the odds and ends as needed.

We've been playing with different coffees, currently trying a Summatra blend from Cost PLus, nice and strong without that bitter after taste.

Summers usually see me with a Diet DP later in the day.

waksupi
12-26-2014, 01:12 PM
My mornings are always pretty much the same. I open one eye, don't like what I see, and go back to sleep. I repeat this for about an hour, until I finally get both eyes open. I think this is caused by really really needing to pee, so I go ahead and get out of bed. I wait for a few moments to see if anything hurts, to be sure I am still alive.
I gather up the things needed for the day, and stumble down stairs, sometimes needing to grab hold of something to keep from falling.
I then usually stub a toe, or run my shin into something hard and immovable. This helps reaffirm the fact that I am indeed still alive.
Next I go to search for the coffee pot. I usually find it within ten minutes or so. Yep, there it is, in the same place it has been for 28 years.
Time to put on socks then, because my feet are getting cold.
At this time, I nudge the mouse, to wake up the computer. The coffee pot has stopped gurgling, so I get a cup, and sit down at the computer, wondering why I am out of bed.

btroj
12-26-2014, 01:14 PM
Why are you out of bed? You had to pee, remember? You did remember that this morning, didn't you?

fatnhappy
12-26-2014, 01:36 PM
My morning starts the same way every day. I put the dog out. I start the coffee (always set up the night before). I feed the dog. I put the dog out again. I do the 3 S routine. I dress. I grab a cup of coffee while my wife braids my daughter's hair. I drop the daughter at day care, then fight traffic on my way to work. I walk up the back stairwell to my office so I don't have to talk to anyone. Then I plug in my 30 cup percolator (always set up the night before).

Nueces
12-26-2014, 01:43 PM
I won a bag of Kona coffee at the Hawaiian Cowboy Shoot last August, and have started using it half and half with Folgers Classic Roast. Fried eggs and Jimmy Dean sausage to go with it as I browse Swappin & Sellin, then head to new posts.

We few, we happy few
We band of brothers

WILCO
12-26-2014, 01:57 PM
Curious how many of us start our day with fresh coffee and cast boolis website in front of us.

Yep. Come here 1st thing with coffee. Time zap buzzer trips and I log off. :shock:

wcp4570
12-26-2014, 02:02 PM
I'm guilty as well. Habits are hard to break.

wcp

Outer Rondacker
12-26-2014, 02:21 PM
I didnt even think I did this until this post. You got me.

smoked turkey
12-26-2014, 02:25 PM
It is surprising how many of us have essentially the same routine with slight modifications here and there. The above posts explain why I never get to the "deals" on swappin and sellin. I am a late going to bed type and as such a late riser. Other than different starting times and no pet to put out, the wife and I have a similar routine as most here. Coffee is prepared (with dark roast beans) and waiting for one of us to "push the button" to begin the process. We start off slow, and I mean slow as we read our Kindles and drink our coffee. Since I do morning devotions on my Kindle, I try not to get to cast boolits until after the devotions are done. Usually breakfast follows, and then its off to cast boolits. So see why you don't need to worry about me finding the early deals in swappin and sellin until most of you are at work and up into your day! It is a great and blessed life we have. Here is wishing all my cast boolit family a happy ending to 2014 and a good start on 2015.

GL49
12-26-2014, 02:40 PM
Four cups of instant Folgers,black only , wake up the wife so she can go to work , then I can get down to being retired.

If everything goes right, that's gonna be me, about June or July 1[smilie=w:
Now it's one or two cups of instant Folgers before work, one on the way to work, and then coffee at work if I can find time to squeeze it in. Never could figure out why anyone would add anything to coffee.

Dframe
12-26-2014, 03:07 PM
I occasionally miss a day here on the forum. NOT SO with my coffee. I drink it strong......ok make that very strong and black.

dtknowles
12-26-2014, 03:16 PM
Home roasted coffee through a french press(way better flavor than a drip machine), drop in my chair and open CB. This morning Im trying a Brazilian coffee as Im roasting small batches for Christmas gifts tomoro. Im on call today, got my fingers crossed that I get no calls!

I am not nearly that fussy about my coffee, I have drank so much really bad coffee in my life, run of the mill drip coffee is just fine with me.

Tim

sundog
12-26-2014, 03:18 PM
Well, Ric, since you seem to be having a little problem remembering things, are you sure you went to bed. Maybe it was yesterday morning??? Eh?

1989toddm
12-26-2014, 03:40 PM
I am not nearly that fussy about my coffee, I have drank so much really bad coffee in my life, run of the mill drip coffee is just fine with me.

Tim

And that very well may happen to me eventually!

waksupi
12-26-2014, 03:56 PM
Well, Ric, since you seem to be having a little problem remembering things, are you sure you went to bed. Maybe it was yesterday morning??? Eh?

No, that wasn't yesterday morning. I was up all night gutting, skinning, and butchering reindeer. Strange, as I usually don't see them this far south.

sundog
12-26-2014, 03:58 PM
No, that wasn't yesterday morning. I was up all night gutting, skinning, and butchering reindeer. Strange, as I usually don't see them this far south.

Global warming...

fatnhappy
12-26-2014, 05:16 PM

I spent the last 3 weeks disabusing my 4 YO daughter of any notion that reindeer are more than hamburgers on the hoof. I bet you rudolph would taste like magic in your mouth.

Mtnfolk75
12-26-2014, 05:16 PM
My day usually starts kinda like waksupi's, except I don't have to fall down the stairs ...... :shock:

Actually, being retired for 15 years as of next month ...... I wake up when I have to pee, sometimes 4 or 5 times a nite ... :evil: Anyway, usually the last time is around 9ish, start the Mr. Coffee ( Pre-loaded with h2O and Folgers Breakfast Blend ), SWMBO let's Stella the Wunder Dawg out while I stumble to my chair after turning on the Mi-Fi & Willie's Roadhouse on Sirius XM. After I clear my head & check the overnite temp and then log it on my chairside calendar, I fire up the laptop. By then the cooffe is finished running and SWMBO has let in Stella and collapsed in her chair. I run my daily alphabetically, so after checking the Cabin Weather Forecast, Credit Union, CHP Cad, E-mail & Facecult, I make it to Forums ..... Cast Boolits is 2nd there .... :veryconfu

The only real difference between the seasons is that during the summer SWMBO is usually at Fire Camp, so I do the Dawg duty. In the Fall & Winter, I usually start the pellet stove on the last pee break so that is warm when I fall into my chair .... :bigsmyl2:

Ain't retirement grand ........ [smilie=s:

farmerjim
12-26-2014, 05:42 PM
If you have to pee 5 or 6 times a night it could be from high blood sugar, or sleep apnea. I was going about 5 times a night then found my sleep apnea. I went on a cpap and now sleep 6 to 7 hours a night without having to get up. I am diabetic but keep my blood sugar under control with a 5.6 A1c.

alamogunr
12-26-2014, 06:18 PM
Another Community Coffee drinker. I set it to turn on at 5:00 AM since one of us may get up that early or both may sleep until 6:00 or later. Either way it is waiting when we do come to life. The maker is a "12' cup Cuisinart that translates to approx 8-10 cups of the size we use and we empty it every day. I usually keep 2-3 large bags of Community in the freezer in the garage at all times.

Early routine can be newspaper, Kindle or Cast Boolets depending how early I get up

daniel lawecki
12-26-2014, 06:29 PM
2 pills with a bowl of cereal look at web then off to work.

762 shooter
12-26-2014, 06:31 PM
6:00AM
Coffee on.
Cat in (Garage Apartment)
CastBoolits/Throne
Dog out (house)
Coffee in cup
Cast Boolits/No Throne
Wife gets up about 7:00.
These are the good old days.

CastingFool
12-26-2014, 06:53 PM
bathroom, turn up the t-stat, coffee, then CB. Organic dark roast is my poison. coffee pot is set up to being perking at 6 am.

Down South
12-26-2014, 06:56 PM
Community Medium roast for me. I start with my morning Bible reading then go to CB.

DougGuy
12-26-2014, 07:02 PM
I get up, nuke what's left in the pot from the night before and put on a fresh pot, wake the PC up, check facebook, emails, castboolits..

I roast my own beans, get them straight from the grower in El Salvador, Starbucks cannot TOUCH this stuff man, for about $7/lb.

If you go on facebook look up a guy named Rogelio Raad, his family owns and operates tapushagata coffee estate, you can go on his facebook page and see photos of the very coffee bushes your beans will come from if you msg him or add as a friend and order coffee from him. He has great coffee, and will hook you up. I been getting coffee from him for years, good dude. You can get green beans or roasted beans. If you like it the way I do, dark and shiny and oily and smelling like baker's chocolate, you must tell him extra dark roast..

This is my home made roaster, the bottom used to be a stir crazy popcorn popper, I stripped out the heating element and just use it to agitate the beans with it's arms, the top is from a Galloping Gourmet tabletop convection oven, and the ring in the middle has a vent that lets out chaff and smoke, it will do 1lb batches in about 18mins. It doesn't roast super evenly but that's the nice thing about it, some of the beans are darker than others and you get multiple flavor profiles all in the same batch. It's a very complex flavor profile but it works great considering it cost me about $40...

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Coffee%20Roasting/20140503_160541_zps903ade91.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Coffee%20Roasting/20140503_160541_zps903ade91.jpg.html)

http://i1202.photobucket.com/albums/bb374/DougGuy/Coffee%20Roasting/20140503_164820_zpsf8e4789a.jpg (http://s1202.photobucket.com/user/DougGuy/media/Coffee%20Roasting/20140503_164820_zpsf8e4789a.jpg.html)

starnbar
12-26-2014, 11:37 PM
Been drinking the same brand for over 40 years chock full o nuts regular perc same routine for over 40 years too get up put the coffee pot on and take a walk out back with the dog.

1989toddm
12-27-2014, 01:10 AM
DougGuy that is awesome! I have wondered many times if I could use our stir crazy to roast coffee with, but ours is pretty new and I thought the element probably got too hot. I'm going to try to get some coffee from that guy on Facebook, I love to try new brews.

MaryB
12-27-2014, 01:17 AM
Get up around 11AM(extreme night owl, fell asleep at 6am last night), shower, get dressed, crank up the corn stove to warm up the house, grab a 14 oz glass of V8 and a coke. Coffee only if I am out of coke then it is Folgers. Turn on the ham radio and listen to Alex Jones while I check my cooking and alternative energy sites...

smokeywolf
12-27-2014, 01:42 AM
Coffee, throne/news, shower, coffee/CAST BOOLITS, coffee/breakfast, computer work or machine shop work.

Mtnfolk75
12-27-2014, 01:48 AM
farmerjim,
I've been a diabetic for 17 years ..... :cry: Most nights I sleep till about 6 before having to pee, on bad nights I usually know what the cause is .... [smilie=s:

JSnover
12-27-2014, 08:44 AM
Home roasted coffee through a french press(way better flavor than a drip machine)
You know it!
Been roasting my own for 7-8 years and there is no better way.

oldarkie
12-27-2014, 08:54 AM
back in the early 90s I shot trouble at night for kcpl,worked by the folgers plant sometimes .when they roasted it smelled so good.i wish coffee tasted that good.

bear67
12-27-2014, 12:13 PM
Up at 4-4:30, turn on the Bunn and then the puter. Drink first pot, then make another one. I will drink almost any coffee, but usually it is Community Medium or Dark Roast. I am a morning geezer and the "barefoot" style coffee (no additives like cream or sugar) makes the mornings even better. This morning I sat on the front porch looking at the fog drift over the water--no sunrise to enjoy this am, but was a balmy 68 degrees at 5 am.

My old daddy, God rest his soul, used to say there is no bad coffee, just some better than others. I used to say I only drank coffee when awake, but in my later years can not drink it right up 'till bedtime or I suffer from the "high test caf overload. Raining here and I am on third pot--boss lady does not drink it anymore so I have no competition. I wanted to move a milling machine today, but may have to wait--too bad as I have 6' 4" 230 grandson to help today, Life is good in my world.

dtknowles
12-27-2014, 12:41 PM
back in the early 90s I shot trouble at night for kcpl,worked by the folgers plant sometimes .when they roasted it smelled so good.i wish coffee tasted that good.

I work just down the road from the Folgers plant in New Orleans East. Man does it smell good in our parking lot some mornings.

Tim

TXGunNut
12-27-2014, 01:36 PM
Folgers Classic Roast in a GE percolator unless I'm camping, then of course it's Ol' Blue on a Coleman stove. No dog to let out these days but I'll probably correct that soon. Drinking coffee and posting on CB in the morning is a special treat for weekends, I'm usually at work before most civilized feet hit the floor.

mold maker
12-28-2014, 05:47 PM
Awake waiting on the 5:00 alarm, feet on floor, and heading to john for SSS. To kitchen to start coffee and breakfast. Call SWMBO to the table and serve. Old habits are hard to break.
No pets to deal with, but getting 4 grand kids ready and to school usually takes till 8:15.
CB is next and, yes the good swap & sell is already gone.

trapper9260
12-28-2014, 05:56 PM
I get up in the morning and put the coffee on to get done and get dress and then put the dogs out in there pen and then clean up after them and change there water and then grab a cup and then got on here and see what is going on after I fininsh the first cup go out and get the dogs in and feed them at the same time i eat because one is a puppy still and one s 13 years old they both have different food to eat and after I am done eating and the older one is done I grab my 3rd cup and see what is on TV for news most of the time and the puppy is still eats most of the time and then get on here again and go form there.As for the kind of coffee it is the cheap one i can buy.

sundog
01-02-2015, 12:54 PM

Well, Ric, I was waiting a spell to say anything, but you need to know that Santa was a might peeved when he arrived in Oklahoma with only part of his team. He told me to pass along that you need NOT put up a tree or decorate next year, an definitely NO stocking hung on the mantle! He said something else about something being hung, and something about balls (I don't think he was talking about Christmas balls), but I didn't get all of it. I'm afraid it may take a good while for him to get over this. Just passin' it along...

waksupi
01-02-2015, 03:01 PM
Bah, humbug!

popper
01-02-2015, 03:17 PM
Wife gets up at 4, I take the dog out about 7-8, brew another cup of whatever she left in the 1 cupper. Sometimes it's Gevailia. Make the bed (sometimes) then CB unless I got early chores to do. Oldarkie - that would be the Hawthorne plant by the river?

bangerjim
01-02-2015, 05:00 PM
After hearing all the + things about 2 cups of Joe each day, I started drinking it again after years on not. Diet Pepsi in the AM.

BP and heart rate went thru the roof after 3 months of coffee! Not good.

So no more coffee for me. Now it is water w/ice, cranberry juice, and the like. Cut out ALL caffinated and diet sweetened beverages too.

BP back to 100/65 where is has been for years. Resting rate now 68-72 where it has been for years. I do cardio ever other day and walk/run at least 3 miles/week.

Enjoy your coffee. I can't.

banger

ps. I feed the cats (outside only).....don't have or want dogs!

oldarkie
01-03-2015, 10:08 AM
popper when I worked for par electric we changed a lot of high line poles in and around the hawthorn plant but never got any good coffee there.

koehlerrk
01-03-2015, 10:14 AM
Wake up, let the dogs out the back door (fenced in back yards are great) start my coffee pot (Dunkin Donuts regular blend, wife's favorite, and since she does the shopping, she gets to pick) fire up the computer, log onto CB, about then the dogs want back in and my cup is full. Then I sit down and enjoy my "quiet time."

lightman
01-03-2015, 10:35 AM
I"m not retired, yet. I usually leave the house early and meet the retired guys and farmers at the coffee shop and solve the latest world problems before work! I'm on the coffee and the CB site early on the weekends unless hunting season is going on.

cbrick
01-03-2015, 10:44 AM
It's not that coffee is important but it would certainly be the end of me if any blood ever got into my caffeine system. [smilie=1:

Rick

popper
01-03-2015, 11:43 AM
OldArkie - I did estimating for Evans fo a while. Par was one of the good ones there. Some real silk suit snakes there too. We did a lot of Claycomo work too.

oldarkie
01-03-2015, 12:30 PM
popper I worked for par most of the time from 1979 tru 96 good to work for,we didn't get around the estimators much ,in the hooks all day.

oldarkie
01-03-2015, 12:39 PM
lightman this thread is kind of like old home week,i worked as a lineman for forty years.i was born about two miles n/e of keo,we used to drive the tractor to England to the movie.

reloader28
01-03-2015, 01:29 PM
I aint used an electric pot in a long time. I WAY prefer the taste of perculated. Coffee the way it should be.
Though I havent roasted my own yet, I get my beans from my neighbors, Mystic Monk Coffee. They make by far the best coffee you can buy. Check them out online.
Folgers and all that store bought stuff will make you puke after trying this.

The winter time is great. I always have a pot of hot water on the wood stove. I ether make a pot or half the time I just make a mug at a time with the Cilio pour over. I can have a piping hot fresh cup of coffee within 2 minutes any time of the day with Cilio.

Forgot to add that in the winter, the Jingle Bell Java is AWESOME.
I normally drink Royal Rum Pecan.

fouronesix
01-03-2015, 01:30 PM
Yep, woke up to the smell of the percolator since I can remember- 2-3 years old. Began drinking coffee milk with my dad at about that age. Really hooked on large quantities for the school all nighters. Nothing but straight, black coffee for me now using whole beans, ground each morning then filter dripped at less than boiling- maybe 190-200 deg. MMMMM is right.
Nothing beats good Kona- but it's too expensive. Have been having good luck ordering from World Market- either Kenya AA or Sumatra. :)

Wayne Smith
01-03-2015, 04:40 PM
For the past almost 40 years the routine is that I get up, put the coffee on (grind beans each AM- 2lbs of Tanzania Peaberry and 1lb Colombian Dark roast mixed) and then make breakfast - now just for the two of us, kids grown and gone. Make sure everybody gets a good breakfast. Then watch the news and eat mine and drink a cup. LOML off to work. Then exercise and shower and head off to work. Between clients I am usually on CB.

DougGuy
01-04-2015, 03:30 AM
I aint used an electric pot in a long time. I WAY prefer the taste of perculated.

Me too! I will let y'all in on a good secret. Back when they made stuff REALLY GOOD in this country, '57 Chevys, Farmall tractors, Colt 1911s, and Singer sewing machines, they also made percolators, with the same quality of materials and workmanship that to this day will outlast even some of our grandchildren. Those percolators bore names like Farberware, and today these early Farberware Superfast percs are the single most overlooked value and underappreciated apparatus in the world of coffee and everything that pertains to it...

The first Farberware Superfast percolators, patented in 1957 bore a gold badge on the side of the pot, and on the bottom was a 2-line address that said:

S.W. FARBER INC.
NEW YORK, N.Y.

Later models had a 3-line address that included a reference to the Kidde Corp. or division of LCA. This changed as the company changed hands, and for maybe 6-8 years beginning in 1957, these original 2-line address models with the gold badge on the side, were hands down some of the best percolators ever made, and can still be bought on auction now, for less than HALF the price of a currently produced Chinese made counterpart. These percolators had a smoother slower brewing cycle, they took longer to heat the water to the cutoff point of the heating element, which resulted in a superior brew, a bolder cup of coffee, and they are just a shining piece of Americana that satisfies like a Babe Ruth home run....

Here is a real good example of an early 2-line percolator, this is what to look for (even though the spacer is broken and the spring is missing). I listed this auction as an example, you can search for the gold badge ones with a 2-line address, they are usually easy enough to find a good one.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-Farberware-Superfast-Percolator-2-6-Cup-USA-/121531289881?pt=Small_Kitchen_Appliances_US&hash=item1c4bd45119

(If a forum member buys this one, I have an extra spring I will donate. The spacer is cracked but fully functional in that it is the proper length and not broken all the way around at the end.)

I put a 15 amp timer in a wall socket that I use for my percolator, so it cuts off just minutes after the brewing cycle is completed. This is the best way to keep the coffee from cooking due to the "keep warm" feature built into many of these pots. This keep warm feature in many cases served to give the percolator an ill deserved reputation for ruining coffee, for boiling it until it wasn't fit to even shine shoes with, so when it finishes brewing, simply unplug it.

MaryB
01-04-2015, 04:38 AM
I have one of the blue enamel camp cook percolators. Saw a lot of use over the years. Not a big coffee drinker as mentioned but coming off the lake half frozen hot coffee is great stuff