PDA

View Full Version : Anyone use the RCBS 45-230-CM?

warboar_21
12-25-2014, 11:32 PM
Santa gave me a bit of money for Christmas and i was thinking I would like to add a new mold for the 45s. this past summer I picked up a convertible Blackhawk to add to my collection of colts and acps. I was looking at adding a mold that would work well in the kimbers and the wheel guns. I tried a Lyman 255 swc but my kimbers have said no to that particular boolit. I was looking for a good general purpose round for all the colts and acps. Currently I have the Lee 300gr, Lyman 325, Lyman 255, and Lee 228-R molds. The 228-R works so so in my acps but I wouldn't mind finding something a little better.
I would be interested in your experiences with this bullet or if you have a better recommendation I would be interested in hearing about it as well.

L Ross
12-25-2014, 11:50 PM
I do. I read an article by Mike Venturino extolling the virtues of this particular bullet and bought one. I have shot it in FA Model 97 45 Colt/acp convertible, Springfield Arms 1911, Glock 21, Glock 36, and a three screw Blackhawk. Mike was right, as usual.

Duke

Outpost75
12-26-2014, 12:53 AM
Great bullet. Feeds in M1A1 Thompson. Kills game. Is accurate! What else you need to know?

4.5 grains of Bullseye in .45 ACP, 6.5 grains in .45 Colt. Accurate makes a clone 45-230Y in a bigger gang mold.

Jupiter7
12-26-2014, 07:08 AM
Mihec ran this bullet 2x in past year. It is my favorite 45auto bullet. I actually shot it as a 205grn HP in IDPA and 3gun for half a season.

warboar_21
12-26-2014, 12:00 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I'll look on Mihec's website and see if he has one in stock. I have one of his molds and really like his work.

warboar_21
01-01-2015, 07:23 PM
Well I had a package waiting for me when I arrived home yesterday. I cleaned up the molds and set them aside so we could eat dinner. Afterwards I fired up the pot and started warming up my new molds. The new 230 gr RCBS started dropping good looking boolits after two rejects. I cast for about an hour maybe before I switched to the lyman 45 devistator which I also bought. This mold was a bit trickier. I need to work on this one. I haven't used a Lyman style HD mold so I think I need to heat pin hotter and somehow keep it hotter.
Anyway I was still able to pour some nice boolits. When I weighed them the RCBS WAS 229.6 AVE and the devistator was 196 avg. Both were sized as advertised. 454 on the rcbs and 452 on the devistator. My alloy is half range scrap and half wheel weight with silver solder added.
As soon as the wife gets home I can pour some more. Can't have the 4 year old out there with me.
Can't wait to get them loaded and at the range.