PDA

View Full Version : he got me!

tdoyka
12-25-2014, 10:27 PM
yep, he did. i'm supposed to use 265gr ranch dogs in 444 marlin and a 165gr ranch dog in my 30-40 krag. along with my 30-30 m94 i would have been alright for a couple of years. i am going to buy the bullets and then over the next couple of years i'll be able to actually cast my bullets and then it will take me a couple more years. but oh no, he(who happens to be my oldest son) goes and buys me for chistmas a new gun!!! i can't believe he did this to me:-D, me, why oh why me!!!:p doesn't he know not to bother me!!!:grin:
ok, we'll discuss the gun. but i can't say this enough, thank you josh. its a sb2 synthetic stock handi-rifle with a 22" barrel in 45-70.(pics will be next in a few days) thank you again josh. i might try the open sights or i might try a red dot. i think that the bullet will be 350gr ranch dog gc rnfl ( http://www.carolinacastbullets.com/Ranch_Dog_Outdoors.html ) . have i said thank you, josh. would trail boss be enough (what muzzle velocity does it have?)? or should i use rel 7 or varget(trapdoor loads)? the loads should be for deer at about 100 yards.
i have had a stroke so trying to find a load that doesn't kick to bad. can i tell my 20 year old son, thank you!!!:-D:D:happy dance::guntootsmiley:

35 shooter
12-25-2014, 11:14 PM
Lol i think you like your new rifle! Congrats and what a great present from your son.Good luck with your loads for it.

smoked turkey
12-25-2014, 11:37 PM
Wonderful Son, that Josh. He is a keeper for sure. Very nice rifle. Sometimes we need to mix it up a little. Throwing that 45-70 into the mix sure does make for an interesting cartridge to cast, reload, and shoot. You will have a ball. There is lots and lots of information here for the 45-70 and even for a rifle very similar to yours. I'm sure you will find just what you need. Merry Christmas!

Catshooter
12-26-2014, 04:32 AM
Wow. Very nice rifle and son, to be sure!

For a soft load use one of the faster/medium fast pistol powders under that Ranch Dog. Five grains of Bullseye, ten grains of Unique. Something like that there.

The Handi 45-70s are usually quite accurate. Mine is.

Cat

siamese4570
12-27-2014, 11:41 PM
My 1st and favorite handi was/is a synthetic stocked 4570. Mine wears a 4x leupold. I shoot the 330 gr hp Gould boot at 1300fps. Doesn't kick the snot out of you and kills deer just fine
Siamese4570

Wayne Smith
01-02-2015, 09:19 PM
Yup, I agree with Siamese - but I shoot an Encore. The Gould is my favorite boolit out of it, and a favorite of several others around here, as well, including Arisaka99's wife! My best friend shoots it out of his son's Marlin and is the only cast boolits his son shoots! I shoot it between 1300 and 1400fps out of the Encore Katadin and it is sweet shooting.