PDA

View Full Version : Quick Blackhawk question...

S.R.Custom
02-18-2008, 06:45 PM
Will the alloy grip frame from a run of the mill New Model .357 Blackhawk fit the receiver frame of a run of the mill New Model .44M Super Blackhawk?

nicholst55
02-18-2008, 07:29 PM
It should be close enough for gubiment work. It may not fit perfectly assuming you're using a used one, but it should work. Personally, I prefer steel grip frames on hard recoiling guns - the aluminum ones have been known to break off. Not common, but it has happened!

Both of my SBHs have steel (round trigger guard) grip frames - one a Bisley, and one standard.

lathesmith
02-18-2008, 07:59 PM
It should work, but may require some fitting.

dubber123
02-18-2008, 08:01 PM
As far as I know, yes they interchange. If you have the full grip, (square trigger guard) .44, I am assuming you would have to replace the hammer strut and mainspring to match the shorter BH grip frame. If you have a short grip frame, round trigger guard .44, I believe you are all set to swap.

An after thought, it would have been really smart of Ruger to just alter the anchor point of the mainspring between the long and short grip frames, so they could use the same springs and struts. I am betting they did just that, but I don't have two here to compare.

Stevejet
02-19-2008, 04:14 AM
Go online to Numrich Arms gun part illustrated breakdown to check on part numbers. Better yet, go online to Ruger with your question, IF you don't have the owners booklet which tells you all the part fit configurations. There are some differences with some calibers, but check the owners booklet.

bisleyfan41
02-19-2008, 08:36 PM
Will the alloy grip frame from a run of the mill New Model .357 Blackhawk fit the receiver frame of a run of the mill New Model .44M Super Blackhawk?

Yes, it will bolt up just fine. All new model grip frames can be interchanged. As was said above, some fitting may be required to get the sides and "ears" of the grip frame to be flush with the cylinder frame. Relatively easy to do.

BTW, the alloy grip frames are all cast and just bolted on at the factory and most times do not exhibit great fit. The models that come with steel grip frames are factory fit and finished and are usually mated really well with the cylinder frame, some to the point of not seeing the seam.