PDA

View Full Version : Whitney Rolling block

velocette
12-25-2014, 01:09 PM
Gentlemen;
I recently acquired a Whitney 2nd model rolling block rifle chambered in .38 CFC. The rifle is in quite nice condition for its
130 years on earth. Except for the bore which is totally rusted.
It is my intent to re barrel this rifle in another chambering of the rifles era to be used for target purposes only.
I've had suggestions on making it a .32/20 which sounds interesting but - - - - - .
Any suggestions on what round would be appropriate from those that know a lot more about single shot rifles of
the late 1800s?

Roger

Nueces
12-25-2014, 01:29 PM
I have a similar project rifle, a Remington Model 1 1/2 Roller in 32 Rimfire. One idea is a rebore or rebarrel to 38 Ballard Extra Long, which takes a 0.358 slug and is nearly identical to the modern 357 Maximum. So, I'd use a Maximum reamer.

It'd handle black powder well, as it would BP level smokeless loads, say using 5744.

dtknowles
12-25-2014, 01:52 PM
You say the rifle is in good condition except the bore. Does that mean it is all still original? If it is all original then it would be a shame to rebarrel it. If you want to make it a shooter I suggest you get it relined and keep it in its original chambering.

Tim

skeettx
12-25-2014, 02:04 PM
Please go here and investigate relining

http://www.redmansrifling.com/relining.htm

Merry Christmas
Mike

p.s.

http://www.gunpartscorp.com/ad/594260.htm

http://www.trackofthewolf.com/List/Item.aspx/637/1

http://www.brownells.com/gunsmith-tools-supplies/barrel-blanks-tools/barrel-liners/centerfire-barrel-liner-prod10976.aspx

pietro
12-25-2014, 02:04 PM

I'd first try to remove the rust via an electrolytic rust removal process, that invovles using either a car battery or battery charger, some Arm & Hammer soda, etc:

http://www.instructables.com/id/Electrolytic-Rust-Removal-aka-Magic/

velocette
12-25-2014, 03:24 PM
Gentlemen;
Thank you for your insight. The barrel is internally corroded badly with large flakes etc. Totally toasted. The Whitney rolling block rifles are not
very collectible nor in much demand so it's collector value is minimal. However with a tight action it can be a good shooter with a reline or re barrel.
The original barrel has had its front sight dovetail assaulted with a ball peen hammer and a newer rear sight forcibly installed with that same ball peen hammer (but it's action has not been assaulted) so its collection value has been destroyed. As it is the rifle is a good wall hanger from 10 feet away. I can have it re barreled with an octagonal barrel virtually identical to the original cut
for a globe sight and fitted with a tang rear sight and have a great lead bullet target rifle.
My main question is what cartridge would give me the best accuracy for 100 yard shooting with cast lead bullets.

Roger

Hooker53
12-25-2014, 03:38 PM
Roger, I would not hesitate to Reline to 32-20 for that gun. It's getting to be quite a popular caliber again which means moulds, loads and new info will be in Abundunce for it. Just MHO because it's one of my Fav Calibers. It's always been semi popular but seems to be coming back more. I'm looking at another myself. Either an older bolt action or a lever gun.

skeettx
12-25-2014, 03:48 PM
Either that or 38 Special :)

Hooker53
12-25-2014, 04:48 PM
Yep. That's the two top on my list. Good straight wall brass that I can chamber in my lathe.

Either that or 38 Special :)

John Taylor
12-26-2014, 01:42 AM
I have only seen a couple Whitney rolling blocks in all my years. Seen more than a few phoenix rifles that were made by Whitney. If I were doing it up for myself I think 32-40 would be the choice.

Outpost75
12-26-2014, 01:51 AM
I had one of these Whitney Baby RB carbines which came out of Mexico 40 years ago. I had it relined to .44-40 and everything worked out fine. Ended up trading the rifle, which I regretted, so am having John Taylor do another light tkedown .44-40 single-shot for me to correct that error....

velocette
04-27-2015, 04:45 PM
The rifle is off in Pennsylvania presently having it's barrel re-lined and re-chambered in .32/20 WCF.
The wood hangs in my shop with a nice finish on it. I was able to remove Bubba's handiwork to a large degree in the wood,
which turned out quite nicely considering what it had been through.
I'm now looking at the Leatherwood Malcolm scopes to mount upon it so my antique eyes can see to shoot it.
Trial loads are ready with 777, 3f BP, a light dose of Unique and some Trail Boss. We'll soon see how this old
rifle shoots.
Thanks for the feedback and support.

skeettx
04-27-2015, 05:48 PM
Great report
Are you having the barrel liner made to .308 or .313 or ??
Mike

velocette
04-27-2015, 06:03 PM
Skettx;
Don't know, I gave the Smith, instructions to re-line the barrel in .32/20 suitable for cast bullets at moderate velocities, since the standard .32/20 is not a .308, I believe that it will be .313. However, the barrel will be slugged prior to shooting to be certain. The Smith doing the work is Robt. Hoyt. He does a lot of BP firearms, so I have faith in his judgement.

Roger

skeettx
04-27-2015, 06:40 PM
Thanks
TC made many of their Contender barrels to .308 but most other guns are not.
Just being curious
Mike

rbertalotto
04-27-2015, 08:57 PM
Couple articles here on how I've relined "Sewer Pipe" barrels

www.rvbprecision.com