PDA

View Full Version : Gota Vent!!

joatmon
12-25-2014, 02:08 AM
Just screwed up my Mexican action DANGABI*^&^%&**^T Getting old and shakey and looks like I need to give up my gun tinkering (tinkering is a small step up from bubbaing ) I've drilled and taped some of my mausers over the years but when finally doing my favorite action that I'd barreled in 257BOB "NOTHING WENT RIGHT"!!! I've always used a Redfield one piece base squared to the receiver as my jig with very good results but OH NO not on my mex!! Don't know how I screwed the pooch this bad but not only are the holes off center but there not in a strait line. Since it seems I've gone from tinkerer to BUBA I'm considering selling the reamers, tools and supplies mabe even all those Turks (was gonna enjoy old age tinkering with em). Sorry! just had ta vent and wine a little.

Aaron

DLCTEX
12-25-2014, 04:38 AM
Hang in there. We all have an off day now and then.

smokeywolf
12-25-2014, 05:44 AM
I'm shaky too. Keep tinkering. Find new ways to compensate.

sbowers
12-25-2014, 06:30 AM
Send it to me and I will tig up the holes for free, I love those actions and will repair it for you because not one of them should ever go to waste.
Steve

nekshot
12-25-2014, 08:47 AM
I feel your pain! We gotta learn how to compensate for this "golden" year thing! Can't stop now your to far in!! I find myself going to the younger crowd more and more for help.

4719dave
12-25-2014, 09:58 AM
Yes,my mom lied golden years bs ..... everything aches lol .It's nice to see people offer to help also .This is a great site to be on merry Christmas guys

lead-1
12-25-2014, 11:09 AM
Hang in there. I tried to drill and tap a Mauser for a scope mount but without a jig, even though I took my time I still boogered it up. Handed it to a local rifle builder to repair and all good now.

zuke
12-25-2014, 11:36 AM
Bad day's happen to us all

claude
12-25-2014, 11:38 AM
Sorry! just had ta vent and wine a little.

Sound some like that thar wining be whut gotcha bubba, :violin:one bottle of ripple over the line..............................whining......... .....[smilie=w:

Merry Christmas sir!!

fouronesix
12-25-2014, 11:45 AM
joatmon,

Ouch! Been there done that type thing many times- even when young and sharp! Long ago I did such booboos out of lack of knowledge and experience. Now I do such ooopsies out of lack of motor skills :)

People who've "never" made mistakes probably have never done much.

Also, very nice to see the offer to weld it up.

Most recently, I'm building a big boomer on a large mag action and have had to force myself to quit trying to tweak every last, probably imaginary, flaw in function. The more the tinkering the greater the odds…….

Ballistics in Scotland
12-25-2014, 01:33 PM
When I was six an Eminent Former Pupil visited my school, and told the assembled inmates that their schooldays were the happiest days of their lives. I still had bitter memories of the moment my mother brought me there, chatted for ten minutes with the teacher, and then left. Nobody had told me schooling lasted longer than that, and I knew for a fact I had been happier before I started school.

Sometimes off-centre holes look further out of line than they are. I would try to measure accurately how far they were misaligned, and then see whether I could cover them entirely with holes suitable for drilling a larger diameter thread. It would be necessary to use an end mill or slotting drill without a V-point, so that it wouldn't follow the existing hole, and to hold it firmly beneath a vice drill. I would use my milling machine with a machine vice on the longitudinally moving table.

dtknowles
12-25-2014, 01:43 PM
Did you already tap the bad holes? Could you fill them with a soft screw and grind that flush then center punch the new start and drill the oversize holes?

Tim

pietro
12-25-2014, 02:23 PM

Yep..................

Even Clint (Eastwood) once said: "A man's GOT to come to terms with his limitations" ! :drinks:

KCSO
12-25-2014, 04:56 PM
You get desperate send it to me and I will fill the holes and drill and tap in a straight line for you... reasonable rates.

Der Gebirgsjager
12-25-2014, 05:15 PM
Possible--sometimes--to install the one-piece mount anyway and compensate for the off set holes with Millett windage adjustable scope rings.

joatmon
12-25-2014, 09:04 PM
Wow Thanks for all the great replies! And the offers for a repair really make it feel like Christmas. claude- I do like an adult beverage or three but wine never was one but my misspelling sure made it look like it! I might get back with you Steve on your kind offer after I chill a day or two and calm the nerves. I've got too many unused (by me ) chamber reamers to completely stop now. I just might have to enlist the help of more qualified people for the more precise aspects. Age is a factor but spine injury from 2000 is the worst part. Thanks again for the encouraging words!!!

Aaron
(still gotta do 35welen, K-Hornet 35Rem another x39ruski and 8mmx06 at least )

flounderman
12-25-2014, 09:23 PM
What happened was if you have a wheeler jig, some actions have the guide rail on the left, wider and the posts that align the plates of the jig contact this lip and it throws the jig to the right in the front. You should be able to compensate with the windage screws on the Redfield mount. You have to check after the jig is tightened down that there is clearance between the posts and the side rail

Ballistics in Scotland
12-28-2014, 06:57 AM
Filling the incorrectly located holes with a soft screw is a good idea, but unless it is in a soft receiver, a drill guided by its V-point and a centre-punch mark will still tend to travel away from the hard metal. You would still need use a drill or end mill with a flat cutting end to avoid that, which means you would have to clamp it under a drill press or milling machine to avoid that. You could grind the end of an ordinary twist drill flat, but it wouldn't cut right to the centre. It might work if you drill a pilot drill of such small diameter. Another possibility would be to epoxy a line of guiding bushings to the receiver, and drill through those.

I don't know the quotation from Clint Eastwood, but a shrewdly surmise that he was talking about someone else's limitations. The pen may mightier than the sword, but it is more of a long term thing.

opos
12-28-2014, 09:12 AM
I'm 77 and when I get the "itch" and head for the garage where my loading equipment is...my Wife will sometimes ask "is this a good day to play with high explosives?"...she normally knows when I should be watching the tube and when it's "safe"...I never get upset because she's a great barometer.

dtknowles
12-28-2014, 11:37 PM
Filling the incorrectly located holes with a soft screw is a good idea, but unless it is in a soft receiver, a drill guided by its V-point and a centre-punch mark will still tend to travel away from the hard metal. You would still need use a drill or end mill with a flat cutting end to avoid that, which means you would have to clamp it under a drill press or milling machine to avoid that. You could grind the end of an ordinary twist drill flat, but it wouldn't cut right to the centre. It might work if you drill a pilot drill of such small diameter. Another possibility would be to epoxy a line of guiding bushings to the receiver, and drill through those.

I don't know the quotation from Clint Eastwood, but a shrewdly surmise that he was talking about someone else's limitations. The pen may mightier than the sword, but it is more of a long term thing.

Your words are mighty and no I will not be bringing a pen to a sword fight.

Tim