PDA

View Full Version : Broken Revolver

gpidaho
12-24-2014, 02:18 PM
I own a now broken Revolver. It's a S&W model 28-2 "Highway Patrolman" This revolver was acquired in trade from a friend that doesn't reload but it's history is only semi-known. The right side of the frame is cracked through 1/2" down from the rear of the top strap(about 2:30) looking forward, and a quarter of an inch below the start of the frame shroud that covers the rear of the cylinder. There is no other damage ( I know that's plenty) no cylinder bulge, no top strap damage or bore damage or obstruction. No hard to eject cases or case damage. I've maybe run 300 rnds. of lead boolits through it with the heaviest being 158gr. RNFP over 9.5 Blue dot. I was unaware of the damage (crack is very thin) until it was pointed out to me by another friend who was looking at the gun using a magnifying glass, possible trade. What do you think broke this revolver? GP

ReloaderFred
12-24-2014, 03:03 PM
I would contact S&W and see what they would charge to replace the frame, if possible. They've done that in the past, only charging for the parts that had to be replaced. It's worth a try.

Hope this helps.

Fred

Ballistics in Scotland
12-24-2014, 03:24 PM
Well, there is running over it with a truck, or dropping it from a height... But if it was done by firing, I would imagine gross overloads. A bore obstruction would surely show up in a bulged bore. Modern S&W centrefires do have hardened cylinders, so it might well not bulge or blow out, and if it didn't, the topstrap shouldn't be damaged.

Another possibility, and this is pure guesswork, is what it if was fired underwater? Some firearms do stand this without damage, although if I ever feel the need to test it, my eardrums won't be in the same water. A ring bulge in the barrel is caused by the bullet being slowed down in its travel down the bore and the gases catching up. I don't think it would happen if the weight and friction of the water applied from the first instant.

Guesser
12-24-2014, 03:53 PM
I can't get a clear understanding of the word picture you are trying to convey; so I ask a question that seems obvious to me. Are you sure the "crack" you are referencing isn't just the side plate joint? Some are not as closely fitted as others, especially if it has been removed and reinstalled by less than skilled procedure. A close, clear picture would be of great benefit.

bedbugbilly
12-24-2014, 03:58 PM
Guesser - when I read this . . that was going to be my question . . you beat me to it! Pictures would certainly help . . .

Could be it's not as bad as you're thinking (OP) . . or could be it's worse than you thought?

ruizhernandeztrust
12-24-2014, 05:06 PM
A picture would help to diagnose the problem better.

gpidaho
12-24-2014, 05:11 PM
Thank you guys for your thoughts. The side plate joint is vertical and the mentioned crack (break) is a 1/4 circle arc from the side plate to the hammer slot on the right side of the main frame two thirds of the way up from the S&W trademark to the top of the frame. This gun shows it's age and has been refinished at one time. I suspect that "Ballistics in Scotland" has called it when he suspects a hard fall, blow to the frame. I don't believe my friend a dim enough bulb to try shooting fish from below but I know it's been carried on horse back. It's not bad fitting, it's most assuredly broke. Disappointing but most likely no way to say for sure what happened. It just doesn't seem a ballistic thing to me. My computer illiteracy prevents pics. Sorry Again, thanks for the comments GP

mac60
12-24-2014, 10:40 PM
You don't reckon your friend dropped it while sitting in the saddle do you? That might just do it.

Ballistics in Scotland
12-24-2014, 10:48 PM
Or someone tried to unscrew the barrel with a piece of wood through the cylinder space. The friend may not have owned it from new. He could have bought it from a member of the intellectual classes. Most likely if it was non-shooting damage, it went unnoticed at the time.

Soviet frogmen used (or had available to use) underwater firearms with elongated darts, and General Hatcher used a .22 Short rifle underwater at a range of about five feet. That is much further than the round would travel after hitting the surface. I knew abalone fisherment used modified handguns against the great white shark, but have only just googled some information. It seems a measure of last resort, against an animal which is probably both physically and emotionally less sensitive than the Cape buffalo.

https://www.ar15.com/archive/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=1523070

Skrenos
12-25-2014, 12:45 PM
Using this picture of a 28-2, can you better describe where this crack is?

richhodg66
12-25-2014, 01:02 PM
I have a S&W 27-2 and the first thought that crossed my mind was "how do you break something like that?" That revolver has to be the most massively overbuilt thing I ever saw. Great gun, though. I probably shoot it more accurately than any other handgun I've ever shot.

gpidaho
12-25-2014, 02:12 PM
SKrenos: You may have pointed out a big mistake in my assumption as I am certainly no gunsmith. In the pic. you posted the 28-2 has the same arc on the frame strait forward of the pin holding the firing pin in the hammer. With the small scratches in the finish and over all wear on the gun I may have jumped to a way wrong conclusion. I hope so! Thanks GP

square butte
12-25-2014, 09:42 PM
Yes, I think you are just looking at the arc of the side plate joint - Not a cracked frame. I wondered about that with your description of the crack. What you are seeing is a normal sideplate joint. Look at a few more right side photos of Smiths on Gunbroker.

leeggen
12-25-2014, 10:21 PM
A quick trip to the local gunsmith could answer all questions and add a lot more moral support to the pistol and owner. When in dought talk to the gunsmith.

CD

Le Loup Solitaire
12-25-2014, 10:38 PM
Of course anything is possible, but I would suggest a thorough checkup/out by a good gunsmith before making any further decision. The M28's and M27's made by S&W are tough guns with strong reputations and worth having/owning. Go from there. LLS

country gent
12-25-2014, 10:40 PM
Some scratches also can have the appearence of a crack. Ive never heard of the smith frames cracking at this point in the frame. SOme had issues with gas cutting of the top strap of the frame and strecthing from high pressure loads. The 28 was an N frame and very strong.

gpidaho
12-26-2014, 02:17 AM
Thanks to you all for your input on this looks like it isn't broke after all. Now that's a bit of good news. Merry Christmas! GP

Ragnarok
12-27-2014, 12:40 PM
Thanks to you all for your input on this looks like it isn't broke after all. Now that's a bit of good news. Merry Christmas! GP

Yeh...I've seen this before. A guy that's not all that familiar with S&W revolvers sees the fitted side-plate seam on close inspection..determines it's a crack. Huge relief when it's discovered to simply be the side-plate.

Don't feel like the 'Lone Ranger'...questions concerning frame cracks and S&W revolvers are quite common.

S&W revolvers are as a rule pretty tough guns..however certain models and any used revolver should be inspected closely where the barrel screws into the frame...open the cylinder and look at the frame/barrel joint there. Certain alloy framed Smiths can crack at that location. Even steel framed S&W revolvers have been know to break there. However Mod 28 revolvers are about bullet-proof tough...and a highly desirable S&W to boot!

gpidaho
12-27-2014, 04:37 PM
Thanks for the kind words Ragnarok, I can assure you, I would rather look a little silly in front of friends than have a broken revolver, or sell it cheep to someone that knew better. LOL GP

Ballistics in Scotland
12-28-2014, 01:39 PM
You can always remove the sideplate to find out if that joint is what you were looking at. You need a screwdriver that won't damage the screw slots. But because of the very fact that the sideplate is such a good fit, I don't believe you will find them nearly as tight a fit as SAA Colt backstrap and trigger guard screws, for example.

Then you just tap the revolver on something firm but not very hard, until the sideplate falls out. On no account try to lever it loose. Nono of the internal parts will fall out and head for cover at that point.