PDA

View Full Version : Star Firestar

richhodg66
12-24-2014, 12:48 PM
I've been impressed by the Star pistols I have shot and always liked the Firestar, though never have shot one. There's one in a local shop in .40 S&W with an extra mag and the Starvel finish. Been there a long time, and I've been wondering about it as a carry piece, though it seems kinda heavy.

I'm really a revolver guy, but as autos go, I like single stack, single actions and it seems like this would hit harder than the .38 I'm carrying now and hold one more round. It would be heavier, but no bigger and would be a bit slimmer width wise. I know they are no longer made, but I doubt I'd wear any parts out on a gun like this.

Anybody have experience with these?

Tatume
12-24-2014, 02:17 PM
Yes, I do. My 40 S&W Firestar was reliable and accurate. It was comfortable to shoot, and due to its very small size it carried well.

pjames32
12-24-2014, 03:31 PM
I have a 40 S&W Firestar. It has been very reliable. It is a little heavy, but carries well.
PJ

BruceB
12-24-2014, 03:45 PM
As others have said, they are heavy for their size. My 9mm Firestars weighed as much as my .45 SIG 220, a MUCH larger gun.

That didn't bother me, but what DID concern me is that when carried cocked-and-locked (as single-action autos should be), the safety would often move to the UNlocked position without my knowledge.

Apart from that, the guns were reliable.

Avoid dry-firing, because they are susceptible to firing-pin breakage. I had to turn a couple of new firing pins before I learned this lesson. After stopping the dry-firing, no more problem.

I use the past tense because I lost the guns in my divorce last year. Otherwise, I'd still be using (and carrying) them.

sagamore-one
12-24-2014, 04:04 PM
I have 3 in 40, one in 9, and my son has one in 40. Only problem ever encountered was bulging of brass at the web area which was caused by a worn out recoil spring that allowed the barrel to unlock too quickly. New Wolff spring cured the problem.
Underwood sells a 135 gr. 40 round that actually chronographed at 1330 fps for a 12 shot average out of my Firestar.
Decent gun and a great load.

richhodg66
12-24-2014, 06:31 PM
Thanks for the input. I have a Star PD in .45, which is lighter, but I've heard they're kind of delicate, which the Firestar seems to be more robust. AFter Christmas, I think I'll go talk to the shop about that Firestar.

richhodg66
12-24-2014, 06:33 PM
"That didn't bother me, but what DID concern me is that when carried cocked-and-locked (as single-action autos should be), the safety would often move to the UNlocked position without my knowledge."

Bruce, did you ever determie what might have caused this, any particular way you moved or the type of holster or something? One of the reasons I like DA revolvers is no safety to worry about.

al bundy
12-24-2014, 06:48 PM
I have a Firestar 45 that is my every day carry. It is a bit heavy, but I prefer steel frames anyway. Mine is as accurate and reliable as any 45 acp I have owned. The only concern you may have is replacement parts. I do own a complete parts set for mine though. Great guns

Shooter973
12-24-2014, 07:05 PM
I have two of the 45's one black that is my carry gun, and the otheris the Starvel finish. Just a back up gun. I also have one in 9 mm Starvel finish. I have enough mags for both sizes to be comfortable. But they are difficult to find now. They have all been excellent handguns. I'm always looking for an other Firestar, just not in 40, I don't care for 40's. [smilie=s:

richhodg66
12-24-2014, 07:19 PM
I would prefer one in .45 ACP simply because I am set up to load and cast for that already. One of the things that has held me back on this one is the need to buy a mold and dies.

mattw
12-24-2014, 10:48 PM
My 40 was stolen, I would pay dearly for 1. I still have 8-10 mags for it.

Gypsyrt
12-25-2014, 07:25 AM
I have one in 45 great shooter conceals fairly easy had the 40 and 9 previously all top shelf pistols in form and function

Johnny_V
12-25-2014, 08:03 AM
I have the Firestar in 9mm (Starvel finish also), and it is one of the sweetest shooting guns I own.

35 Whelen
12-25-2014, 12:14 PM
The little Star Firestar is a dandy (1992 Handgun of the Year IIRC). Somewhere along that time I traded for one in 9mm because I wanted a single-stack semi auto for concealed carry. I don't shoot it a lot anymore but it has never, ever once jammed, is tough as nails and incredibly simple to field strip. The only thing I did to mine was to eliminate the feature that required a magazine be inserted for it to fire as I like to dry fire, and no, I've never broken a firing pin, and I lightened the trigger pull a little.
Yes, they're a little heavy but much more controllable than super light plastic 9mm's.
35W

johniv
12-25-2014, 12:19 PM
I have had one for years , .45 acp, never gave me a bit of trouble. Good little gun.
John

Artful
12-25-2014, 01:12 PM
I have one in 40 - it does have an ambi safety that is one of the things that might cause one to disengage the safety without meaning to do so - I have a holster that quasi-covers both safety levers and have not had a problem with it.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v355/rowdyfisk/FAL/th_IMG_20141205_172014051.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/rowdyfisk/media/FAL/IMG_20141205_172014051.jpg.html)
Remora "sticky" holster
http://www.remoraholsterstore.com/

But I had a 1911 with ambi safety levers that rode in a holster that exposed the safety levers and did have that problem.

BruceB
12-25-2014, 01:27 PM
The Firestar safety has no positive "click" or detent to retain its on-off setting; it's purely a friction-based system.

I usually just routinely checked it (discreetly) when it was carried. It might be possible to incorporate some sort of "block" on the inside of a holster to prevent safety movement, but it never worried me enough to follow-up on the idea.

Come to think of it. maybe I'll keep an eye out for another. I have the gear to cast and load for both 9mm and .45. Chronographing 115 Cor-Bon loads in the 9mm Firestars showed a consistent 1270fps from their short barrels.... that's a VERY serious load from such a short pistol.

AnthonyB
12-25-2014, 01:35 PM
I had a Firestar double stack nine and a single stack 45. They are the only pistols I ever shot a lot without ever having a jam. I also removed the magazine safety on both and think I still have some spare parts downstairs. The 45 went to make way for a Kimber stainless compact.

rintinglen
12-25-2014, 03:18 PM
Here's a photo of mine.

I have a 40 and a 9 mm Firestar plus upper. I got the 9 mm upper off ebay about 6 years ago, the 40 I got when my father died. It is heavy, which helps with the 40 S&W round, but not when you're carrying it on your belt. On mine, the safety sniks positively in the "on" and "off" positions and I don't see it accidently moving if casually brushed. There is a spring loaded plunger under the left side safety paddle that locks it in place. It is a low profile ambidextrous safety, which may appeal to the "sinister" folks amongst us. Mine seems to be regulated for 180 grain 40 ammo.

I have shot it more with the 9mm than 40. It is not a particularly accurate gun with either slide, but it has never malfunctioned while firing. I did once drop 3 50 yard chickens and a 100 yard pig with a single magazine full of 40 S&W. It took me 13 rounds before I hit the ram at 200 meters, but I did finally drop it when I hit it. I was a little surprised when it fell, truth to tell. I have seen those rams shrug off hits from 357 lever guns, and I was aiming way over the back of the Ram. I've done worse with bigger guns.

I'm going to have to take it along the next time I go out shooting. It has been a while since I last did so. My Kahr CW9 has eclipsed it in my affection, but it remains a reliable pistol, which is decidedly more compact and concealable than a full size 1911. Parts availability remains an issue. They don't make 'em any more and a broken firing pin is a show-stopper, so I'd recommend the use of snap-caps if and when you dry fire it.