PDA

View Full Version : Ruger old army foresight

vica
12-24-2014, 10:28 AM
Help needed. I have two Ruger old army in stainless steel, both with target sights. Both shoot high at 25 yards. I need higher front sight blades. I contacted Ruger whose response was (we don't make them anymore and no longer support them). Then one of my local gun club members told me that a foresight for Super Red Hawk would fit. I emailed Midway USA asking the question, and was told they did not know the answer but in any case they would not send parts outside the USA. When I replied stating that as Midway had a branch in the UK could they not supply me? I was a bit annoyed because members here have written good things about Ruger's customer service which I unfortunately have not experienced and I thought that Midway would have been a bit more helpful, being gunsmith.
A] does anyone know if a larger foresight is available. Can you give me part numbers and any other info on fitting etc.
b] is the red hawk foresight blade the only one that will fit the old army or are there others?
Any help would be much appreciated. It would be good if I could get both pistols to shoot to point of aim. Shooters would be a dying breed if our government had their way, and pistol shooters would be totally finished. I'm doing my little bit to stop them finally grinding us down.
Thanks in anticipation and best wishes to all shooters.

rodwha
12-24-2014, 11:19 AM
Ruger sent me a front sight. My understanding is that it's to the older model Blackhawk though. I don't think the new models will work.

I've also read that there are a few guys who have used a file to deepen the rear sight, which is what I'm considering doing as the front sight is tall enough as it is (I don't want a huge front sight). If I end up going this route I'd be happy to pass the sight along. However I don't have a range to work from at the moment (moved).

"Shooters would be a dying breed if our government had their way..."

From what I got on a British beer brewing forum was that even the citizens think of you as evil if you own even a BP gun. What I was told was that you are lumped in with such as child molesters and such!

http://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=50833

Tar Heel
12-24-2014, 04:08 PM
I had to get my 45 Colt Blackhawk to shoot point of aim at 25 meters by removing 0.89mm (.035") from the rear sight blade. It was shooting 20 centimeters (8") high. The Old Army guns were made a while ago and to the best of my knowledge, the sights were regulated well on them. Are you shooting real light loads which may cause higher than normal strikes?

koger
12-24-2014, 07:40 PM
Over my 25 years of gunsmithing, I have found a quick fix for this. I found a piece of steel the same thickness as the sight blade, filed the top of the front sight flat. I then cut a dovetail in it, about half the width, then cut out a tall blank and a male notch to fit in it. I slightly under cut where the bottom of the new piece, rested on the top of the old, used a low temp, high strength silve solder past, with solder and flux combined filling up any voids between the 2 pieces. You then heat the metal, but not the joint directly. I had 2 clamps holding it all together, heated till the black flux residue ran out, then a little silver, and let cool for 2 hours. I then shaped the new high blank to where I thought it should be, leaving a little extra, cut off the excess with my dremel too, and dressed everything up. With a little judicious filing, most of them ended up in the middle of their rear sights elevation, which is perfect. I know one guy who I did this fix for, his revolver is still going strong after 20 year of target shooting and hunting with it!

winelover
12-25-2014, 09:30 AM
Call Ruger and ask for the .455" high Blackhawk front sight blade. You will have to drill a hole for the roll pin.

Winelover

Outpost75
12-25-2014, 11:05 AM
Another option, more expensive, but of the highest quality, is to have a gunsmith install target sights from Hamilton Bowen.

I had these installed on my Old Army and they work splendidly!

http://parts.bowenclassicarms.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=5

http://parts.bowenclassicarms.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1

Nobade
12-27-2014, 10:20 AM
Over my 25 years of gunsmithing, I have found a quick fix for this. I found a piece of steel the same thickness as the sight blade, filed the top of the front sight flat. I then cut a dovetail in it, about half the width, then cut out a tall blank and a male notch to fit in it. I slightly under cut where the bottom of the new piece, rested on the top of the old, used a low temp, high strength silve solder past, with solder and flux combined filling up any voids between the 2 pieces. You then heat the metal, but not the joint directly. I had 2 clamps holding it all together, heated till the black flux residue ran out, then a little silver, and let cool for 2 hours. I then shaped the new high blank to where I thought it should be, leaving a little extra, cut off the excess with my dremel too, and dressed everything up. With a little judicious filing, most of them ended up in the middle of their rear sights elevation, which is perfect. I know one guy who I did this fix for, his revolver is still going strong after 20 year of target shooting and hunting with it!

I did something similar for mine. Milled the blade off flat, used a keyway cutter to cut a seat in the base, made a new blade, and pinned it in place. Worked great and if I ever want to change it just drive out the pin and make a new blade. Had to do this because somebody shortened the barrel and reused the original sight, so the revolver hit too high.

-Nobade