PDA

View Full Version : brass catcher home made

Went2kck
12-24-2014, 10:13 AM
125171This works pretty good had to bend it some to make it work. any way it does work about 85 to 90 %

dudel
12-24-2014, 11:18 AM
Went - finger off the trigger! [smilie=1:

I shoot a lot from a bench, so I made this from two inexpensive window screens. They are hinged at the top, and fold flat for transport. A towel underneath keeps the screens from spreading too far (as would a string). Towel also keeps the bench from getting too hot, and keeps brass from bouncing. Cheap and easy.

dilly
12-24-2014, 11:58 AM
dudel I like that idea a lot. Thanks for posting. Went2kck, yours is cool too for a standing up handgun idea.

Has anyone else ever started paying too much attention to their brass and not enough to making sure you shoot straight?

I have that problem sometimes.

Went2kck
12-24-2014, 04:31 PM
The hoops are made from 1/4 inch electrical fish tape. Netting is a laundry bag from dollar store. Frame is 3/4 and 1/2 inch riveted together. Hope is held with bolts and these long nut things cut at a 45 and welded together. then drilled through the side to hold the hoops.

Cerd
12-24-2014, 04:37 PM
I made this one for about 25 cents. I bought a yard of utility mesh from the fabric store and strung a wire coat hanger though the loops of the mesh. It is simply held between my hand and the grip of the pistol. My p11 ejects anywhere between straight up and straight to the side, so I made it bend over the top too. It doesn't hold much weight, but I just empty it when reloading.

dilly
12-24-2014, 04:43 PM
I would like to try dudel's idea with perhaps a screen through part of the front of it as well. My M1A likes to throw brass forward a bit.

VHoward
12-24-2014, 06:19 PM
I have had my 1911 throw brass straight up, straight out to the side, out to the side but towards the rear and I have had brass hit me in the forehead. I like Cerd's idea.

Cerd
12-31-2014, 10:01 AM
I was thinking of making some bench brass catchers out of that same mesh, but using PVC as the frame and leaving it at the sportsman's club for everyone to use, too. It'll probably cost me $15 in materials to make 10 or so.

Shooter6br
12-31-2014, 11:15 AM
I made a simular catcher for my semi auto pistols(45 ACP) 1/2 plactic pipe and a dollar store mesh laundry bag I call it "Papillion" butterfly

Duckdog
12-31-2014, 12:33 PM
I bought one about 10 years ago that looks like those and it works great. I think you guys are building better ones than what I bought!

Remiel
12-31-2014, 01:05 PM
I just have my 8yr old police the brass, she does a great job, never misses any.

Shooter6br
12-31-2014, 01:29 PM
"Cost is no object as long as it's cheap"

trapper9260
12-31-2014, 01:34 PM
I was looking into about to buy one early this year but for all it cost and all for my handgun and rifle I did not want to spend the money on it for how high it was. Now you guys got me thinking of make one myself and if you do not mind me use some of your ideas for it.

boog
01-02-2015, 10:38 PM
Looks like a butterfly net!

Remiel
01-03-2015, 11:06 AM
"Cost is no object as long as it's cheap"
+1 on that

prsman23
01-07-2015, 08:55 AM
I just have my 8yr old police the brass, she does a great job, never misses any.

With the cost of raising kids today Id say that's the most expensive option :-) :-) :-)

mozeppa
01-07-2015, 09:41 AM
mines the cheapest of all...when i'm done shooting ....i just sweep them in a pile and pick up with a dust pan.

rondog
01-07-2015, 10:17 AM
Setup your bench inside one of these and blast away! At least your brass will all be contained in a small area. You could put a tarp down first too. And you'll have some shade! And a little bug protection as well.

Cerd
01-08-2015, 04:47 PM
Trapper, I wouldn't mind at all. If I wanted to keep it for myself, I wouldn't have shared it.

Mozeppa, the club has a little brass pickup roller that works slick, but that doesn't help when you are out target shootig in a buddy's field.

Rondog, thats a nice idea, but too bulky for a range bag and I would hate to shoot a hole through one of those.

Cerd
01-12-2015, 12:58 PM
I finally got to try my homemade brass catcher and I have some work to do. It only caught about 50% of my brass, but it at least knocked them down right away to where I could find almost all of them just beneath me. When I make the next one, I will make it form closer to the chamber so it has a better chance to catch them. I also need to make it curve back down on the left side since I had a few this weekend that somehow shot left. How is beyond me, but I will make it curve almost completely around so it catches EVERYTHING. I think I will also end up taking Went2kck's idea of an arm mount. the small wire of the coat hanger made it difficult to hold parallel to the slide.

jeepyj
01-12-2015, 01:18 PM
There we go now I've got one more thing to make! :)
jeepyj

geargnasher
01-12-2015, 03:04 PM
I have had my 1911 throw brass straight up, straight out to the side, out to the side but towards the rear and I have had brass hit me in the forehead. I like Cerd's idea.

Must be Kimber. At least one round per magazine smacks me dead square in the bridge of the shooting glasses, very disconcerting. I've changed ejectors, filed on them, you name it, it's just moody.

That hinged window screen contraption is genius, all it needs is a pair of hinged, triangular flaps on the front that latched together and left a hole to poke the muzzle through, or maybe just leave one side flipped back (left for RH shooters, right for RH shooters), that way it would catch forward-flinging AR and M1A brass.

Gear

mold maker
01-12-2015, 03:49 PM
When I made one, all I could find was BRIGHT PINK netting. You should have seen the looks I got.
It worked OK, but I was too embarrassed to use it. Velcro wrist straps and piano wire for a frame because it's what I had.

Eddie2002
01-12-2015, 05:16 PM
I really like the folding screen setup. The local private range requires you to pick up all your brass including .22 rimfire. Boy would the screen brass catcher do a nice job for any .22 semi auto, just set it up on the bench and have fun.

country gent
01-12-2015, 05:50 PM
My home made brass catcher is free standing ( I dont want things hanging and swinging from my arm when Im trying to hold solid) It sits on the bench with the opening beside the pistol. It is made from simple hardware store materials 1/4" alumminum round stock for the cather frame, a 1/4" pipe tee to tie the ends together and allow opening to be angled bottom ( single pipe) mounts to upright post. 3/8" aluminum round stock with one end turned to 1/4" x 1/2" long to fit tee. 1/2" aluminum pipe for upright outer post. I used a 1/2" rubber foot protector and drilled a 5/16 hole thru this makes a friction hieght adjust ment for the 3/4 inner upright post. Base can be a c clamp or as mine a simple plate with hol;e bored in it for 1/2" pipe to press in. Mine cathes 95% of the brass sits freely on the bench and stores nicely. The bag I used was a delicates washing net bag from the grocery store. The opening on mine is 12" long and 8" hiegh. It can be angled over the top of the pistol to catch those that eject at an upwards angle easily.

Schrag4
01-12-2015, 10:41 PM
Has anyone else ever started paying too much attention to their brass and not enough to making sure you shoot straight?

I know what you mean. It's very distracting to see the brass land on the counter in front of me at the local indoor range and slowly roll forward where it will fall out of reach downrange. Sometimes I'm lucky enough to have shooter in the next lane over who lets me keep his brass, so I think I'm coming out ahead overall so far.

VHoward
01-12-2015, 11:00 PM
Must be Kimber. At least one round per magazine smacks me dead square in the bridge of the shooting glasses, very disconcerting. I've changed ejectors, filed on them, you name it, it's just moody.

That hinged window screen contraption is genius, all it needs is a pair of hinged, triangular flaps on the front that latched together and left a hole to poke the muzzle through, or maybe just leave one side flipped back (left for RH shooters, right for RH shooters), that way it would catch forward-flinging AR and M1A brass.

Gear
It is a Ruger SR1911 relatively new. Only a couple hundred rounds through it.

kweidner
01-12-2015, 11:30 PM
As sad as this statement is this , this is precisely why I prefer a revolver.... my OCD kicks in when brass is flying and I end up concrntrating on it rather than follow through.

BNE
01-12-2015, 11:56 PM
dudel I like that idea a lot. Thanks for posting. Went2kck, yours is cool too for a standing up handgun idea.

To me this is the worst part about being a reloader.... I have to know where the brass is going...

9mmsubgun-m11
01-15-2015, 11:06 PM

Man I thought I was the only one who did that. As soon as I fire a magazine I am crawling around scraping up empties. Funny how we act once we start reloading.

9mmsubgun-m11
01-15-2015, 11:11 PM
To me this is the worst part about being a reloader.... I have to know where the brass is going...

I cringe when I shoot in a subgun match as I know where my empties are going-home with the RO's. Generally lose 500-1200 pieces at a match.

mold maker
01-16-2015, 11:31 AM
I cringe when I shoot in a subgun match as I know where my empties are going-home with the RO's. Generally lose 500-1200 pieces at a match.

That I couldn't stand for. I collect ALL brass where allowed and don't shoot where it's not allowed. If you value your labor and time at all, without brass it's not much cheaper than factory.
The brass I can't use is traded for some I can.
I wasn't brought up in this disposable society, and remember the lessons of thrift, taught me by my parents, who enjoyed the depression.
I live in their/my home full of memories and treasures of their saving ways. There are paint buckets of every size (english) bolts and straitened nails. The list goes on, but it keeps me out of the hardware bins, and now factory ammo (empty) shelves.

Shooter6br
01-16-2015, 02:46 PM
Mine nick named "Papillion" french for "butterfly. 1/2 PVC pipe, mesh laundry bag, old base from rifle rest and wire ties 90% + with my Kimber

Ramar
01-18-2015, 02:13 AM
I shoot on a 40 foot diameter cargo parachute. I don't think I've ever lost a piece of brass. I guess it wouldn't be acceptable at a public range. After target practice I roll it up and dump it in a retired water troth and grab the brass. When shooting for score you don't want the distraction of "where did my brass go?"
Ramar