PDA

View Full Version : Timber Wolves back on Endangered Species List

Loudenboomer
12-24-2014, 01:27 AM
Despite Protest from many local govt. and state Department of natural resources agencies. A federal judge Has banned timber wolf hunting an placed them back on the endangered species list. The judge used words like free for all hunting. In reality most states that participated in a wolf harvest program had very limited harvest numbers in a tightly regulated seasons. Very disappointing for hunters, farmers and ranchers in my region as the Grey Wolf is becoming a real problem.

Mods move if need be.

Farmer&shooter
12-24-2014, 02:25 AM
No lower level Federal Judge was ever elected or confirmed, they are political appointees. They are a major part of the problem in America, and NOWHERE in the Constitution are they authorized.

starmac
12-24-2014, 02:32 AM
SSS, the judge can't do anything about it.

I didn't think any judge, federal or not had the authority to put any animal on the endangered species list.

ammohead
12-24-2014, 03:59 AM
The Nevada Division of Wildlife has served notice to the feds. The is no history of the wolf ever being in the state of Nevada and when they show up here they will be considered an invasive species and shot on sight. No doubt there will be a legal battle when and if it happens. Rumors are that they are here in some northern counties already. Most sportsmen here will shoot them on sight. Hopefully they will have the common sense not to bring them into town. I will shoot but surely don't want to be the litmus test with the feds. The 3S rule rules.

Muskyhunter1
12-24-2014, 05:17 AM
Yup I hunted with four guys for six days for deer this year. Never saw a single deer, rabbits and only a few grouse. Heard all kinds of wolves and saw four - now they are three.

When they move in look out. They kill everything and then move along. When the game comes back so do they. Good luck with your legal battles.

Tom Ruley
12-24-2014, 06:30 AM
I'm sorry, It's early and I haven't had enough coffee. What is the rule of SSS?

sav300
12-24-2014, 06:40 AM
Shot shovel and shut up! even us aussies know that,:bigsmyl2:

kysunfish
12-24-2014, 06:50 AM
Sometimes things get lead poison and die.

Hickory
12-24-2014, 07:21 AM
SSS, the judge can't do anything about it.

I didn't think any judge, federal or not had the authority to put any animal on the endangered species list.

With all do respect starmac, there is nothing that a judge cannot do nowadays. This is the 21st century where the lust to build a utopian nation is not hindered by laws or what they can or can not do.
Take California for example. They pass laws there only to be overturned by a federal judge or our current president making laws with "a swoop of his pen"
Freedom, justice and the rule of law don't mean much anymore.

Loudenboomer
12-24-2014, 08:40 AM
Yes. The Judge who ruled on the case is a recent presidential Appointee. She was not interested in Hunting decisions based on sound science from State and local authority's with their fingers on the pulse.

quilbilly
12-24-2014, 01:27 PM
The week after NCBS in 2013 I was up on top of the Jarbidge Mtns in far north Nevada near the snow line and saw a wolf. I thought hard about taking out my 338 that I had just used with CB's for the 400 yard targets (the wolf was at about 300 yards). I thought about it a little too long. I have been soundly criticized by Nevada officials for not taking the shot and won't make that mistake again.
I once mountain biked into a very surprised pack in Western Washington where no wolves are supposed to exist and was later told by our officials when reporting the sighting to never mention it again if I wanted to ever fish, hunt or gold pan in the area again. SSS

starmac
12-24-2014, 01:58 PM
I thought it basically took an act of congress to get an animal listed on the endangered species list. If a single judge has the authority to do it, it will not be long before cockroaches are on it.

GaryN
12-24-2014, 02:22 PM
I have heard they're in my area also. I haven't seen them yet. I plan on some target practice. Our elk herd is way down. They have been giving out way too many tags. The deer are not back yet to where they were. If the wolves show up that will pretty much end a lot of hunting opportunity. If the judges can disobey the laws then so can we. We just have to be careful. Laws only work when people respect them.

nekshot
12-24-2014, 02:27 PM
I look forward to the day you gotta go to a zoo to see whats left of them. Dinosours are not practical in this day and age and neither are wolves or coyotes.

Hickory
12-24-2014, 03:52 PM
Dinosours are not practical in this day and age.

I don't know.
I think prehistoric animals like godzilla would do a better job of getting rid of crooked politicians then voting would.

MT Gianni
12-24-2014, 09:36 PM
They are tough to pin down. With a nose 1 1/2 times the length of a german shepard they know when you are coming.
Of the three s's shut up is the most difficult to do.

TXGunNut
12-24-2014, 11:53 PM
'Nuf said, time for action. Take care and shoot straight, my brothers.

reloader28
12-25-2014, 12:43 AM
Glad to see we're not the only ones having issues with this stupidity.

One thing I've never understood, is when everyone in Texas is complaining so much about the hogs, how come the government aint shipping wolves down there to help out?
They would put a serious hurting on the pig population in 2 or 3 years. Maybe even a few illegals.

TXGunNut
12-25-2014, 01:12 AM

One thing I've never understood, is when everyone in Texas is complaining so much about the hogs, how come the government aint shipping wolves down there to help out?
They would put a serious hurting on the pig population in 2 or 3 years. Maybe even a few illegals.

I don't complain about the hogs, I enjoy hunting and eating them. I just can't shoot and eat enough of them. I hope Uncle Sugar doesn't ship wolves down here but we have rifles and shovels.

starmac
12-25-2014, 01:19 AM
Ain't happening, Texas has very little govt land, and I'm betting it would be some kind of trick to talk any Texican rancher into dumping a bunch of wolves out on his land. lol

reloader28
12-25-2014, 02:20 AM
Ain't happening, Texas has very little govt land, and I'm betting it would be some kind of trick to talk any Texican rancher into dumping a bunch of wolves out on his land. lol

They say they only dumped them here on public land (Yellowstone), but that was proven to be a lie.
I wish I had some hogs to shoot. I got lots of boolits to test.:Fire:

trapper9260
12-25-2014, 08:54 AM
We have wolves here in Northeast Iowa,For the years I live in this state that is since 1995 I seen 4 and 3 of them where pasting by where I live and the other one was on my way to where I was working at the time .I also seen a moose also here in Iowa about 1 week ago.They say we have cougers also around here but have not seen any myself.

Loudenboomer
12-25-2014, 09:33 AM
On the topic of exporting wolves. Brings up a kind of crazy "What If" I've had for years. Beings certain govt. officials seem determined to curb hunting and expand the range and numbers of the Timber Wolf. "What If" we give them their whish. We would be happy to export wolves to the Big city metro areas. Here in Northern Minnesota and many other parts of the country we have more than plenty to share. Several hundred could dived up into packs of a half dozen or more and be distributed into wooded areas of city park systems in large metro areas. Give the wolves some time to do what they do best then ask them. How wonderful and majestic do you think wolves are now???

kenyerian
12-25-2014, 09:48 AM
My hunting buddies and I used to make 2 or 3 trips up to the U.P. every year to run snowshoe hare with our beagles. However the wolves make turning a small beagle loose to hunt very dangerous for the beagle. We think to much of our dogs to take that chance any more. The last time we were up there we noticed that the deer population is really down. We usually eat at the small bar in Seny and the locals all hate the wolves and the way they have impacted local economy. Less deer means less hunters means less money for the economy.

quilbilly
12-26-2014, 01:44 PM
Follow the money. The greenies, their consultants, their trial lawyers, and their lapdog bureaucrat/politicians make millions off an ESA listing. It's the money tree that never stops giving. The Sierra Club and the Nature Conservancy are the worst of the bunch but no matter which group, it is all the same people.

w5pv
12-26-2014, 07:00 PM
shoot,shovel,silence is the best advice that can be given.I have heard no wolves here but we do have yotes use to see thm all the time but since the band of thieves move in across the hiway I don't see them very often.They probabley have different times to cross now.

mold maker
12-26-2014, 09:01 PM

Ever stop to think what they would eat, when the porkers are all gone? They wont starve as long as there is any game, domestic, wild, even humans.

TXGunNut
12-26-2014, 11:45 PM
Don't mess with Mother Nature and she won't mess with you. Quilbilly is right, it's not about the wolves. It's about money (and power).

NVScouter
12-30-2014, 04:01 PM
Yup. the unregulated hunting was a dirrect smack to Wyoming. We had limited hunting in the wolf areas as big game. But if any left those areas AKA expanded thier terriory they were free to shoot. The Bighorn mountains arent far but are suposed to be brown bear and wolf free. Yeah a sheep herder lot 111 sheep in 4 days until hunters knocked out 4 wolves in two days.

They want them to spread, its garbage.

They say they only dumped them here on public land (Yellowstone), but that was proven to be a lie.
I wish I had some hogs to shoot. I got lots of boolits to test.:Fire:

Uncle Jimbo
12-30-2014, 04:31 PM
I have heard they're in my area also. I haven't seen them yet. I plan on some target practice. Our elk herd is way down. They have been giving out way too many tags. The deer are not back yet to where they were. If the wolves show up that will pretty much end a lot of hunting opportunity. If the judges can disobey the laws then so can we. We just have to be careful. Laws only work when people respect them.

A rancher/farmer in Beaver county killed one Sunday in the area that it is legal to kill them.

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=32915140&nid=960&fm=home_page&s_cid=toppick3

SALT LAKE CITY — State wildlife officials have confirmed that a young female wolf was shot and killed in Beaver County, the first documented killing of a wolf in Utah in several years.
The men were hunting coyotes when they shot and killed the animal Sunday night near the south end of the Tushar Mountains.
They found a collar on it, and wildlife officials said the collar was first attached to the animal for identification and tracking purposes in January 2014 in Cody, Wyoming. The northern gray wolf was about 3 years old, and officials are terming the killing a case a mistaken identity.
The Utah Division of Wildlife Resources said reports of wolf sightings are on the rise in Utah, but biologists have so far been unable to confirm if there are any breeding pairs or an actual pack.
In 2010, two wolves were killed (http://www.ksl.com/?sid=11722172&nid=148) after attacking Utah livestock. Most of the sightings have been in counties that border Idaho and Wyoming.
"I think it was very sad a wolf was killed," said Kirk Robinson with Western Wildlife Conservancy. "This is suspect."
Robinson blamed the shooting on the state's coyote bounty (http://www.ksl.com/?sid=32055527&nid=1288), in which hunters can collect cash for killing the predators.
In Utah, ranchers may shoot wolves, but only in an area north of I-80 and east of I-84 to the Wyoming and Idaho lines. The animal is protected under the Endangered Species Act, although there has been a concerted campaign by ranchers and others to get it removed altogether from being listed.
In November, the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service authorities confirmed that a female northern Rockies gray wolf was roaming the North Kaibab National Forest (http://www.ksl.com/?nid=157&sid=32449677&nid=157) near the North Rim of the Grand Canyon.
According to wildlife officials, the first modern wolf confirmed in Utah after the species was exterminated from the state was captured on Nov. 30, 2002. It was a collared animal from Yellowstone National Park, and it was returned to the park.
Since then, there have been scattered reports of wolves making short trips into Utah from Wyoming or Idaho.
Although wolves have failed to take up permanent residency in the state, Utah lawmakers have not taken any chances of a probable return and want federal restrictions lifted.
The state has spent $800,000 to get the animal delisted, hiring a lobbyist to work politicians in Washington, D.C., and bureaucrats with the U.S. Department of Interior.

FLHTC
01-11-2015, 01:41 PM
Back in the 1980's, rumor had it that coyote were brought into Aberdeen Proving Ground by the truck load to control the deer population. The MD DNR denied it but now northeastern Maryland and southeastern Pennsylvania are filthy with coyote. Prior to this, there wasn't a coyote within 500 miles of Maryland.

Houndog
01-21-2015, 09:24 PM
Sometimes you have to wonder about the sanity of the Enviroment and Conservation decision makers. They turned loose 4 pairs of Wolves here a couple of years ago. They lasted about a week before getting their hides nailed up on an old abandoned barn. Some of the other nonsense they have tried is dropping Rattlesnakes in the high knob mountain to try to control Turkey overpopulation and introducing Yotes to control the red fox population. ALL failed miserably! All that was needed was to drop the price of hunting licenses, extend hunting season and raise bag limits. NONE of this is heresay! I worked for these idiots after I retired the first time!

huntrick64
01-22-2015, 09:04 AM
I like the story I heard about the sheep ranchers up north that went to a meeting ran by PITA. PITA was proposing a "neutering" program for the wolves where they would catch, neuter, and release the wolves. An old guy stood up and told the lady from PITA, "Mam, you don't seem to understand, the wolves aren't F---ing our sheep, they are eating them!"

GaryN
01-23-2015, 02:13 AM
I like the story I heard about the sheep ranchers up north that went to a meeting ran by PITA. PITA was proposing a "neutering" program for the wolves where they would catch, neuter, and release the wolves. An old guy stood up and told the lady from PITA, "Mam, you don't seem to understand, the wolves aren't F---ing our sheep, they are eating them!"

Here ya' go huntrick64. http://woody.typepad.com/my_weblog/2011/03/the-sierra-club-vs-the-wyoming-ranchers.html

sw282
01-23-2015, 08:03 AM
Where l am in South Carolina we don't have wolves, but we have stray dogs..Same Same in my book. lf a canine is chasing a deer where l hunt it is DEAD. l don't care if it has a collar or not. IT IS DEAD. lt has happened more than once. lf l am hunting it will happen again...l don't care if its Judge Judy's lap dog,lts Dead. l remember with fondness a club l hunted down around Barnwell. There were some county dumpsters by the road..A favorite drop off place for unwanted pets or for loose pets to get a free meal. a measured 287 yards from the dumpsters was a shoot house that also overlooked some kudzu and a small peanut field.. Many days l would watch for deer and strays too. Let me say a 130gr Nosler BT @ 3200fps would make a stray puppy think about other things besides chasing deer

chg
02-01-2015, 07:36 PM
They were dumped in Yellowstone and in the Frank Church Wilderness in Idaho as an "experimental, non-essential, population and when 10 breeding pairs in each state were established for several consecutive years would be removed from protection" I say several years because I lent my copies of the original papers to a friend and he still has them. Think it was 3 to 5 years but not sure without checking. The shoot, shovel, and shut-up don't apply. Shoot, shut-up and don't go near it. As one person said, the shut-up is the hardest to do.