PDA

View Full Version : Lee Dippers and 2400

batjka
02-18-2008, 11:56 AM
Gentlemen,
I just bought a pound of Alliant 2400. My lee dipper chart came with data for Hercules 2400. .7cc dipper is supposed to throw 9.4 grains of Hercules 2400.
It throws 16.4-16.8 grains of Alliant 2400. Any idea why? Is the density THAT different? Or could it be the storage conditions? The can was sealed, but the powder is not all the way to the lid, but instead is all in the bottom half of the can. The powder was made in Sept. 2000.
Is it safe to use?

batjka
02-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Never mind, my mistake.
Apparently, I calibrated the scale wrong. Now that I have re-calibrated the scale, it is more in line with the chart. It is actually about 1 gr less than is shown on the chart. Next time I have to be more careful with the scale.

jonk
02-18-2008, 12:42 PM
I find most lee dipper data to be a bit on the conservative side. I just checked their data for Red Dot for some .38 special loads. The chart said .5cc was supposed to be 4.3 grains; it is 3.4.

racepres
02-18-2008, 01:41 PM
I find that also jonk!! When I use em.. I round em up , shake it slightly sideways once and go.. if you throw em the same ea time... they are remarkably close to the same every time.. but heck any powder metering device is that way.. MV

David Wile
02-19-2008, 02:04 PM
Hey folks,

I used the Lee dippers back around 1960 when I first started reloading, and I was taught what I consider a very wise lesson. A powder charge should be weighed rather than measured if you want consistant loads. Even more important, if your charge happens to be more than a medium weight charge, then you should not be relying on dippers without a scale to weigh the charge. When I first started loading and could not afford a scale, I used medium charges of 4831 powder in my loads. I would go to my friend's house, check the weight of my charge with a particular dipper and my usual 4831 powder, and then I would be confident to dip my charges after that without weighing. I did, however, keep accurate notes of my actual weights with my dippers. I did not rely on the data provided in the Lee powder measure kit.

Less than a year after I started reloading with a Lyman Nutcracker, I got a scale and an RCBS Jr. press, and I sold my Lee dipper set and my Lyman Nutcracker tool and dies to help pay for the new and better stuff. After all these years, I acquired more and better presses including progressives. In spite of all the better equipment I acquired, I bought a Marlin 45-70 Cowboy rifle with a long 26 inch octagon barrel when they first came out eight or nine years ago. I was so captivated by the Cowboy gun that I went out and bought a "new" Lyman 310 Nutcracker tool and a set of Lee powder dippers to go along with the gun.

I suppose I am going backwards in my older years.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

RBak
02-19-2008, 02:33 PM
Dave, I know exactly what you mean. I've been down that road many, many times!

There is something of a "trick" in using dippers that takes considerable time to master in order to get good, consistant "weights", on each dip.
I am not saying I have ever learned just what that trick is, but I do believe a person can turn out some fair to midlin cartridges with just the simple little tools of dippers and a 310.

Russ...

jonk
02-19-2008, 03:29 PM
I can get within .3 grains of repeatiblity using Lee dippers and ball powders. .5 for stick. Good enough for every day shooting, though I do hand weigh to the .1 grain level for matches.

lovedogs
02-19-2008, 05:50 PM
If stored properly powder will last almost forever, to answer one of your questions. I don't use dippers any more but back when I did use them some I found a better way than using the Lee's. Take an appropriate-sized fired cartridge case, fashion a handle of your own design out of coathanger wire, solder it on. You can then throw a weighed powder charge into the case to get an idea of the level. Then trim the case down to the exact length. By some trial and error you can make your own dippers of whatever capacity you need.

marsofold
02-23-2008, 02:55 PM
I file down the top edge of lee dippers to reduce their capacity to "in between" values. Needed a 2.05cc volume dipper and had two 2.2cc dippers, so I filed down the top edge of one to make a 2.05cc dipper. Because it's plastic, it can be done in minutes...

David Wile
02-23-2008, 03:08 PM
Hey Marsofold,

I wouldn't want to change the sizes of my Lee Dippers. They are a set, and once changed, they are no longer a set as originally sold. Rather than change one of my Lee Dippers, I would do what Lovedogs reported about making specialized dippers from empty cases with a wire soldered on for a handle. I have made quite a few of these dippers for specific uses, but I just don't like the idea of changing a dipper in a Lee set.

Then again, they are your dippers, not mine. If it doesn't bother you, then it shouldn't bother me. I will mind my own business now.

Best wishes,
Dave Wile

Junior1942
02-23-2008, 03:10 PM
It's easy to make Lee dippers in any cc capacity within reason. Just warm the bottom over a flame and push the bottom in to lessen the capacity and out to increase the capacity. I have a set in .1 gr increments from 1.6 cc to 3.7 cc.

PS: file off the numbers and use a hot number punch set to make new numbers. Fill them in with a mark-a-lot.

Kraschenbirn
02-23-2008, 08:14 PM
I have both a (very!) old Lee Dipper set and several sets of Lee reloading dies and have used the dippers provided with the die sets...which I never use, anyway...to make up "custom" capacity dippers for specific loads, using the same method as Junior to mark them.

Bill

Unter
02-23-2008, 08:14 PM
That is useful information Junior, thanks.