PDA

View Full Version : marlin 30-30 or 44 mag. for deer and hogs?

mizzouri1
12-23-2014, 08:04 PM
howdy.
I haven't hunted deer with a 30-30 for over 30 years and i just have a hankern to do so again. But I just got invited to hunt hogs on a large farm. So what you guys think? 30-30 or 44 mag. thanks

Mauser48
12-23-2014, 08:14 PM
A got loaded 44 would be great.

Loudenboomer
12-23-2014, 08:21 PM
Plenty of variables but I'd say hit the mark with the right Boolit at under 100 yds. and piggy won't know the difference.

RPRNY
12-23-2014, 09:34 PM
Plenty of variables but I'd say hit the mark with the right Boolit at under 100 yds. and piggy won't know the difference.

I concur. 30-30 placed correctly will take either deer or hogs out to the limit of your eyesight with irons. 44 Mag will be at least as effective inside 100 yards. It will work beyond that, certainly, but 30-30 is a better choice beyond 100.

Most hog hunting I've done has seen the shooting well under 100 yards and a lever gun in 44 mag is ideal. For deer, I love and use the 30-30. It really can't be beat with the proper bullet/velocity combination.

Nicholas
12-23-2014, 09:47 PM
Why not both? Carry a Marlin 30-30 and your choice of 44 revolver on you hip.

RJH
12-24-2014, 12:08 AM
I really like my .44 for hogs.

GoodOlBoy
12-24-2014, 12:18 AM
Depends on the hogs. Any normal weight feral hog a 30-30 is going to more than take care of so long as you don't try to shoot through the cape on a boar. If you are intentionally going after the old nasty monster 600+ lb hogs you need to choose a third caliber.

Have a good hunt.

GoodOlBoy

starmac
12-24-2014, 02:22 AM
Which ever shoots best at the distance you will be shooting.
Using cast, I would probably go with the 44 and just keep the distance suitable.

Lonegun1894
12-24-2014, 08:31 AM
I'd just carry whichever you shoot a bit better, r just whichever you feel like taking when the day comes if you shoot them equally. Both are very effective.

OverMax
12-24-2014, 09:25 AM
30-30. No doubt about it on this end. Just look at the stat's and see for yourself.

Hickok
12-24-2014, 09:43 AM
Either one as long as a good bullet or boolit is used. I don't like the high velocity "blows up in animal and expends all it's energy" theory.

snaketail
12-24-2014, 09:58 AM
Either will work, but I vote for the .44 - because you can load more rounds into the rifle. It should cycle properly - you understand that an angry hog won't wait for you to clear a jam (and it doesn't take much to get 'em angry). In SE Mo. you shots will mostly be under 50 yards. I understand that Iron County has a good population of hogs, but I haven't hunted there - yet.
M

1Shirt
12-24-2014, 11:16 AM
Well, for me it would depend on distances to be shot. If under 100 yds, either would be fine, and it would be 6 of one and half dozen of another. If it will be beyond 100 yds, I would favor the 30-30. The suggestion of carrying a 30-30 rifle and side packing a 44 also has merit if you are so inclined.
1Shirt!

Down South
12-25-2014, 08:50 PM
Either will work but i'd prefer the 30-30 myself.

JesterGrin_1
12-26-2014, 04:57 AM
I would have to agree that I would Greatly prefer the 30-30 over the .44 Mag.

The 30-30 has a larger range of use and usually much better accuracy than the .44 Mag Marlin.

GoodOlBoy
12-26-2014, 01:55 PM
I don't think accuracy is going to be the issue. When hunting deer or hog if you can hit a pie pan at 75 to 100 yards you have minute of deer or pig accuracy, and I have never seen a 30-30 or 44 mag rifle or carbine that couldn't do ALOT better than that kind of accuracy.

GoodOlBoy

JesterGrin_1
12-26-2014, 08:03 PM
I don't think accuracy is going to be the issue. When hunting deer or hog if you can hit a pie pan at 75 to 100 yards you have minute of deer or pig accuracy, and I have never seen a 30-30 or 44 mag rifle or carbine that couldn't do ALOT better than that kind of accuracy.

GoodOlBoy

A Pie Plate maybe good enough for some but I demand far better from any Firearm I plan to hunt with. As whatever game I am after deserve a clean kill out of respect. How can one have good shot placement when the firearm they are using is not capable of it to start with. Combine the inaccuracy of the firearm with what the shooter might do during the pressure time of hunting. The pie plate could easily grow much larger.

Now if I was simply shooting at targets or tin cans then it would not matter nearly as much or really be much fun when you can not hit what you are aiming at unless it is a barn and you are in the inside. lol.

gandydancer
12-26-2014, 08:16 PM
100 ft or 100 yards. 30/30 is the way to go. Had my try at hog hunting with a 44 mag never again.

reivertom
12-26-2014, 09:08 PM
30-30 is easier to find and more affordable. If you reload, there is a lot of choices of bullets and powders to dial in a good hog load.

starmac
12-26-2014, 09:57 PM
I never bought in to the pie plate deal, especially on most texas deer, and eatin size hogs.

Remiel
12-26-2014, 10:10 PM
I am with the .30-30 guys on this one

Down South
12-26-2014, 10:33 PM
I never bought in to the pie plate deal, especially on most texas deer, and eatin size hogs.
Agreed, I never was satisfied with anything more than minute of a dime at 100 yds myself but, that's just me. I may not be able to do it free handed but if the firearm doesn't hit where I'm aiming, I don't trust it. Open sights, the group better be within 2-3" at 100 or it needs work on it or it needs a new home.

starmac
12-26-2014, 10:47 PM
I am no bench rest shooter or an accuracy snob, by any means, But lay a pie plate on an average whitetail or a 150 pound choate and see what you have, Besides them little 50 and 60 pound pigs are tasty.

JesterGrin_1
12-27-2014, 04:11 AM
Believe me I am trying to be as nice as I am able to be. But I would greatly wish that this pie plate stuff would come to a sudden stop as it is pure BS.

I have had a Marlin 1894 SS in .44 Mag that with hunting ammo and a scope was pretty capable off of a bench if everything was right and I was doing my part for 2 1/2 -3" groups at 100 yards. But I would still get a flyer now and then that could open it up to 4" or so and this was not acceptable to me in any shape or form for a hunting rifle.

Where as a 30-30 is far more capable of better accuracy not to mention if you cast you will use less precious lead and powder usage depending on selection is pretty much a wash. Plus it is capable for longer distances if the need should arise.

But I am in South TEXAS so hunting distances can be greatly varied but lean more towards the 100 yard + area.

I would however wish to throw a wrench into the subject at hand. And that would be calibers.

If you can find a Marlin in .35 Remington and components that is a great round and provides lots of thump.

mizzouri1
12-27-2014, 10:58 AM
thanks guys for all of your opinions, there are a lot of variables here to be considered but it seems the 30-30 is the best option.

these 2 quotes sold me:

1.30-30 is easier to find and more affordable. If you reload, there is a lot of choices of bullets and powders to dial in a good hog load

2.Where as a 30-30 is far more capable of better accuracy not to mention if you cast you will use less precious lead and powder usage depending on selection is pretty much a wash. Plus it is capable for longer distances if the need should arise.

1. there is at least one 30-30 sitting in every pawn shop, 44 not so much
2. I do reload and will be casting boolits for it.
3. I was thinking 100 yards or less but.......if a big BUCK stepped out in the open @150-175 yard range I want a rifle that I could be confident in to get the job done, (I don't believe in the pie plate theory myself)

thanks again guys......mizzouri

TXGunNut
12-27-2014, 03:47 PM
I like a big boolit with a big meplat for knocking down hogs. No experience with the 44 but it should work OK. I start out at 35 Rem and move up to 45-70 and 45 Colt for hogs because I can't pass up a chance to smack down a big hog and I've been fortunate to see more that my fair share, it seems. 30-30 with good shot placement and a good boolit should work just fine. A good boolit will have no trouble penetrating the gristle-like shield and breaking the shoulders but a 30-30 is about my minimum for a shot like that, prefer the 35 Rem for bigger hogs.

starmac
12-27-2014, 06:25 PM
I may have misunderstood the op, as I took it that you have a 30/30 and a 44, and just deciding on which one to use. If you are deciding which to buy, and hunt with using cast, neither would be my choice. If I was looking to buy and use cast, 35rem would be my starting point. If I was looking for one lever action rifle, and I do like my levers, to hunt deer and hogs 35 rem, 356 win,38/55,375 win or 45/70 would be the choices I would be looking at, unless I ran across a 99 in 358 win. This probably varies on what part of the country a guy is in, but 45/70 is by far the most common here, so it would be the most logical and cheapest choice for me. The brass is much easier than the others to come buy, and as far as I am concerned powder and lead are neglible costs for a hunting rifle. In my opinion for cast the 45/70 is never a mistake. For levers I have (remember I like levers) not counting rimfire, 30/30, 300 sav, 44 mag, 308ME (don't use cast in it) 45 colt and 45/70. When I hunt using cast, the 45/70 always gets the nod. Any of them will take a hog and would be used if that is the only choice I had, but if buying one lever with the intention of using cast and hunting, it would be a 45/70, hands down.

JesterGrin_1
12-27-2014, 06:57 PM
Starmac come on now do not go Crazy lol. I think you had it at 35 rem, 356 win,38/55,375. :)

starmac
12-27-2014, 09:09 PM
Ha Ha Any of those would be fine. The thing is in this part of the country is, on any given day there are a couple of 45/70s in the classifieds, and brass is readily available, so easier to get than those. It would likely be different in different parts of the country, but still the 45/70 works for whatever a guy needs, for typical lever gun ranges.

Down South
12-27-2014, 09:41 PM
LOL, my favorite for hogs is my bow. Killed many from a tree stand with one. Problem is I get a broken arrow most every time.
I've got a 375 Win just begging to shot one. I know my 45-70 would drop one easy.

TXGunNut
12-28-2014, 12:10 AM
If I was looking for one lever action rifle, and I do like my levers, to hunt deer and hogs 35 rem, 356 win,38/55,375 win or 45/70 would be the choices I would be looking at, unless I ran across a 99 in 358 win. -Starmac

Wow, for a moment there I thought you were looking in my safe! Then I realized I don't have a 356...yet. :-)

starmac
12-28-2014, 12:47 AM
He He Out of those listed all I have is the 45/70. I kinda have a 35 rem, as I've been in possession of it for several years, but it belongs to a friend of mine. The 3cals up except for the 45/70's just do not come up for sale in these parts very regularly at all. I missed a deal on a 375 last year, but did get there in time to buy his mold for it. lol There was a nib or very close to it 356 at a gun show here a couple of years ago, that I kept going back and caressing for two days, but could never get together on a price. Some day iffen I live long enough, I will have them all. lol

TXGunNut
12-28-2014, 12:58 AM
I passed on a nice enough 356 last year, didn't know enough about the cartridge to snatch it up. Actually fondled it on two seperate occasions. Priced cheap enough for a Big Bore, someone smarter than me kept me from having a third chance at her. Just as well, I have more leverguns than I have time to play with them.

starmac
12-28-2014, 01:26 AM
356 is close enough to a 358 which is what I would really like to find in a nice model 99, in fact I am thinking a scoped 99 in 358 would be my go to do all rifle, and make the 45/70 mad.

TXGunNut
12-28-2014, 02:15 AM
I'd like to run across a 99 in .358 myself but I think even after (if) it shows up my 45-70 is safe and probably knows it. Thumper goes on every hunting trip these day as a backup rifle to whatever rifle I'm playing with at the time. If I kill a critter with my primary rifle or have a problem with it Thumper comes out of the case and puts critters down in an efficient and businesslike manner. That never gets old, sometimes I wonder why I bother with other rifles. :hijack:

starmac
12-28-2014, 02:22 AM
Like I nsaid earlier, the 45/70 just is never the wrong caliber at lever gun ranges. lol Most especially when using cast, there is something about beeeg boolits.

smkummer
12-28-2014, 04:17 AM
You can almost buy 2 used 30-30s for one 44 around here. So you can scope the Marlin and keep open sights on the Winchester. Nothing wrong with taking 2 guns on a hunt just in case. I would feel very safe with a 170 grain bullet in the 30-30 if I was hunting a 600LB boar.

EDK
12-28-2014, 07:38 AM
I'm a shooter, not a hunter. I cast and reload mostly 357 or 44 pistols and rifles. 30/30 got me interested awhile back. It's got a lot going for it...at least range wise over my preferred 44s.

BUT I'm awaiting arrival of a MARLIN JM 45/70 Guide Gun. That would be my choice over 30/30 or 44 magnum for something that might want to chew on me. I've had a 45/70 MARLIN since 1973, IIRC, and finally broke down for the Guide Gun.

When you're 66 you really need to get busy on "the bucket list!" So many toys, so little time and money!

Multigunner
12-28-2014, 07:55 AM
My cousin went on a boar hunt in Georgia many years ago. He took his new Golden Spike Winchester .30-30.
He was alone when rushed by a pack of 8 or 9 very large and un comonly agressive hogs. Disgression being the better part of valor he climbed a tree in record time, but dropped the Winchester.
The hogs were busy trying to up root the tree when other hunters ariving drove them off.
The Winchester was bent in a curve like a self bow where the largest of the Boar had rolled on it. He must have had a bad memory of rifles.

My cousin said next time he went after boar he'd carry an autoloader and a .357 revolver in case he got treed again.

In the Smoky Mountains remains of lost hikers if found at all are usually no more than a grawed pelvis and a belt buckle. Feral hogs will eat anything or any one.

kenyerian
12-28-2014, 10:01 AM
Back in the 70's I used a Savage 99 in 308 for Hog Hunting. It did the job every time. Never should have traded it.

GoodOlBoy
12-28-2014, 10:08 AM
Ok.

Number 1. The pie plate was given as an example NOT A GOAL! IE the guns I have seen and used were ALL capable of FAR more accuracy, BUT this is NOT paper punching and yes if you can hit a pie plate while aiming at it's center at the range of your target (IE A whitetail or a HOG) with the gun you are holding it you WILL kill it, and you WILL kill it cleanly. Should you be able to shoot a better group at that range? Yes. But the pie plate isn't BS, and more successful hunters in East Texas started out as a kid aiming at an old pie plate in a cow pasture than you can count. You learn to hit the plate (A easy mark so as not to let frustration set in), and THEN you learn to hit a smaller mark, and THEN you are allowed to hunt. I have taught 30+ year olds how to shoot a gun with this VERY SAME type of training and they got it down in less than a day.

Number 2. This was a quick load work up for a old 30-30 a buddy bought. This was shot by me. Free standing. Iron sights. 60 yards. Windy Day. 5 shots. Is this good enough?

Yeah I am trying to force myself to be polite too.

ANYWAY back to the point. A 30-30 is a GREAT choice.

GoodOlBoy

Lonegun1894
12-28-2014, 06:03 PM
I agree that the .30-30 is an excellent choice. So is the .44 Mag. Here is the way I see it. I trust my .30-30s with my loads and me shooting them to 225yds if conditions allow. I also trust my H&R .44 Mag to 150yds. So, yes, the .30-30 has more range, and shoots a bit flatter so is easier to shoot at longer ranges, but almost all of the hog hunting in the areas I have hunted them has been inside 100yds, with a majority of it being inside 50 yds. My last hog I snuck up to and shot with a .22LR pistol at 6 yds DRT. So it all depends on your hunting conditions. How far do you need to shoot? If you're having to buy one, I would say .30-30, but the first post had me thinking we were talking the OP had both and was trying to choose which to carry. The .30-30 has longer range in it's favor. As to ammo cost, reloads should about even out, with the .44 using more lead while the .30-30 uses a bit more powder, but this can vary depending on powder choice. But if you're looking at factory ammo, keep in mind that .30-30 is sold in packs of 20 rds, while the .44 Mag is usually sold in packs of 50 rds, so keep that in mind when you compare the prices. In my case, I don't care that the .44 is a 150yd rifle while the .30-30 is a 225yd rifle when my hog hunting is at 100yds at the most. Either will do the job just fine. If you need that extra range, and trust yourself to place a shot at those ranges every time, then the .30-30 has the advantage. I don't need the extra range, so either works just as well as the other. I hunt hog a lot with a muzzleloader, a bow, a .22LR pistol, a .357 Mag in rifle or handgun, a .44 Mag in rifle or handgun. I make my hunting style match my weapon. And I still think the hunter should carry whatever they are most comfortable with and shoot the best.

JesterGrin_1
12-28-2014, 07:07 PM
Ok.

Number 1. The pie plate was given as an example NOT A GOAL! IE the guns I have seen and used were ALL capable of FAR more accuracy, BUT this is NOT paper punching and yes if you can hit a pie plate while aiming at it's center at the range of your target (IE A whitetail or a HOG) with the gun you are holding it you WILL kill it, and you WILL kill it cleanly. Should you be able to shoot a better group at that range? Yes. But the pie plate isn't BS, and more successful hunters in East Texas started out as a kid aiming at an old pie plate in a cow pasture than you can count. You learn to hit the plate (A easy mark so as not to let frustration set in), and THEN you learn to hit a smaller mark, and THEN you are allowed to hunt. I have taught 30+ year olds how to shoot a gun with this VERY SAME type of training and they got it down in less than a day.

Number 2. This was a quick load work up for a old 30-30 a buddy bought. This was shot by me. Free standing. Iron sights. 60 yards. Windy Day. 5 shots. Is this good enough?

Yeah I am trying to force myself to be polite too.

ANYWAY back to the point. A 30-30 is a GREAT choice.

GoodOlBoy

The Problem with the Pie Plate is how it is presented. As now you state the pie plate is not a goal. Of which as you also stated it should not be.

Some without explanation could easily think that a pie plate size group is good enough. Thus if one is going to use the pie plate idea it should be completely explained for the common none shooter to understand.

jmort
12-28-2014, 07:18 PM
I use paper plate targets. Similar. Off-hand at 100 yards with iron sights, it is a decent measure for deer or miscreants. Not sure why some are so touchy and high-handed.

Hickok
12-31-2014, 02:23 PM
I use paper plate targets. Similar. Off-hand at 100 yards with iron sights, it is a decent measure for deer or miscreants. Not sure why some are so touchy and high-handed.I use a lot of paper plates too. They are cheap, easy to see with iron sights, and boolit holes show up nice. I always think of that plate diameter as a Heart/Lung area.

Targets and cleaning patches are something I make to save money for boolit molds, powder, primers etc.:redneck:

Gtek
12-31-2014, 03:57 PM
IMHO shooting feral hogs and shooting a thin skinned dear is apples and oranges, forty plus years of both and lost count. The life force I have seen exhibited by some 200+ lbs. with 3 inch cutters is truly humbling and even the toughness of the squealers. Those big pigs will have an inch and a half of Teflon cutting board over entire shoulder and I do not even consider shoulder shots. I have taken with bow, 22 LR to 45-70 and have somewhat of a plan if I decide to take. Looking down from 18' stand is between shoulder blades. The hydraulic pump is a little farther forward on Mr. Pig and an angle shot behind shoulder quartering rear they will run to the next county and you may never see it again. If you were looking straight down on one, make an X centered between shoulder blades. 90 degrees in from front and inside 90 degrees from rear with shot centering in heart. You should catch some lung doing this and creating some pink foam and removing blood pressure is the object here. In the bottom ear hole from broadside works very well if you have your sniper on that day. I think either of your options would/will work fine if used in its envelope. And if one is taken may I suggest you not approach downed animal smoking and joking, they can also play possum really well sometimes. And for clarification of the following statement so my name and picture will not be added on some watch list or website, I AM TALKING ABOUT FERAL PIGS HERE. The little females are best for bun or plate, crop or land damage- blast away. Be safe, enjoy!

GoodOlBoy
12-31-2014, 04:09 PM
I said a pit plate sized group wasn't the goal, but I will say it IS good enough. IE your average pie plate is 9". If you can aim at the center of a pie plate at say 200 yards and ALWAYS hit within 4.5" of your mark you WILL cleanly kill a deer if you aim at the center of the vitals of the animal.

That being said I have been hunting and shooting for more than 35 years (started shooting at age 5, was being taken hunting by age 4). If that was as good as I personally could do, and I DIDN'T need the meat I would wait for a better shot. If I DID need the meat I would take the shot and fill the freezer and the pot.

The idea that you must be a cloverleaf paper puncher or even a bullseye shooter to hunt is ludicrous.

If you can hit a English walnut with a 22 it is minute of squirrel noggin, and minute of the instant kill spot on a gator.
If you can hit a lemon with a 22 it is minute of rabbit noggin.
If you can hit a grapefruit with a rifle it is minute of coyote or of racoon noggin.
If you can hit a pie pan with a rifle or shotgun (slug or buckshot) it is minute of whitetail deer.

GoodOlBoy

Canuck Bob
01-01-2015, 04:17 PM
30 years since hunting with the 30-30, go with the 30-30 and give us a report for history sake. Otherwise both will do the job just fine.

As far as the pie plate thing when I hunted a lot I would consider it important to try and hit the center of the pie plate. I've never been fond of the point blank thing often promoted, say were 3" high to 3" low is your point blank and hold on the deer and fire. I liked to sight in so the whole sight-in group was a touch above the poa. What we would call 1-1.5" high, allowing a 2-3 moa rifle with iron sights. I could call a heart shot, high shoulder, etc.. As well in close bear country the rifle hit were it was aimed without any thought required. From muzzle to 125 yards or so the bullet would hit at the bead or post top considering the actual group.

This allowed precise aiming to a 100 yards were vision was sharper. A slight hold above to my limit of 200 yards. This is for peep sights and boreal forest or foothills forest, my preference. I'm not too familiar with scopes but set my 444 with a 2.5X Compact the same as above. The added visual acuity and precision of the scope did not convince me to leave it there. The hand carry of an iron sighted lever out for the day was worth any perceived problem from a peep sight so the scope went in a box.

Bongo
01-01-2015, 07:06 PM
I'm kinda new to this responding to a thread thing. I just joined the site the other day. Pie plates make great, cheap targets. I've been using them for about 40 years. The object has always been to shoot as small of a group in the center of that plate to me. I would not be satisfied with "hitting" a plate at 100 yards unless it was with my iron sighted SBH and then I would limit my shots to about half that range when shootn' critters. Even though this quote was on a movie there is a lot of truth to "Aim small, miss small." Small groups give confidence in your shooting ability. I agree with Nicholas. I carry my model 94 30-30 with a One ragged hole peep and fiber front sight along with my SBH when I'm hog hunting. I was fortunate to use some 31141's, traveling 2,000 fps, on two hogs last year. They work great! Either caliber is a fine choice for hogs. Just remember, it's hunting, not shooting. Know your effective range and stick to it. Good luck!

TXGunNut
01-02-2015, 01:40 AM
Welcome, Bongo. Well said, big fan of the One Ragged Hole sights as well. Have one on a 94 and my 45 Colt Blackhawk.

dlbarr
01-02-2015, 01:46 PM
100 ft or 100 yards. 30/30 is the way to go. Had my try at hog hunting with a 44 mag never again.

Care to elaborate on that? Not challenging you, just curious about your experience.

Lonegun1894
01-02-2015, 04:53 PM
I was curious too, having used both successfully, but didn't want to start anything. I mean, if it's a preference thing, which we all have, I figure we should all use what we prefer. But we all also have hunting stories and I can sit and listen or read those all day and night long.