PDA

View Full Version : Has anybody used stainless steel balls for cleaning brass?

oldsagerat
12-23-2014, 06:52 PM
Has anybody used stainless steel balls for cleaning brass? I see examples of the stainless steel
rods but hear about them getting stuck in primer holes. How about another metal that doesn't
oxidize in water? Maybe ceramic balls would work. Share your experiments.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
12-23-2014, 07:24 PM
I think there are 2 sizes of SS pins. One size can get stuck and the other size doesn't. I can't remember which ones I have. Balls would probably work but would more than likely take longer because they are smooth. Something that "scrapes" and burnishes the brass generally works best. There is already ceramic tumbling media that can be used in water. It is not in the shape of balls though.

John Boy
12-23-2014, 07:33 PM
Share your experiments.
Sparkling Brass in 15 Minutes ... http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=229895 (http://sassnet.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=229895&hl=%2Bscrubbing+%2Bbubbles)

Pepe Ray
12-23-2014, 08:17 PM
The NRA published a report on the use of ceramic and stainless steel media for case cleaning in the American Rifleman Mag. a number of years ago.
That should be re searchable as they include an annual index in the Dec issue per each year.
I didn't clip it as I couldn't see a value at that time. But I remember reading it, and promptly forgot it.
Oh well, - -sorry.
Pepe Ray

Weaponologist
12-23-2014, 11:20 PM
That's very interesting, If anyone has or does try that let us know,, As for Stainless Pins.. the number .42 size is the older pins that would get stuck, However, now you can get 2 more sizes. you can get a .47 and a .62.. I had the .47 and went to the .62 and bought them from a guy on here. The .255X.062 I believe is the size are a littler heavier and fall to the bottom of the water bucket where the smaller size would stick to my skin and if they fell out I had trouble seeing them,, I have an easier time with this bigger media all the way around...
But if you have the .255X.047 size and can work with it, there is really no reason to change.. It works great and never sticks in the brass or primer hole..

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
12-24-2014, 01:00 AM
Strat-o-Sheen seems a bit pricey. Am I looking at the wrong website? Seems its about $26 for 5#?

MOcaster
12-24-2014, 03:03 PM
I use .185" stainless steel balls for my media. They won't get stuck in flash holes but they also won't clean primer pockets either. Other than that, they work pretty well. And best of all, I got 25 pounds of them off eBay for $37.50 delivered.