PDA

View Full Version : Brand New to Casting

Chrisv102581
12-23-2014, 03:02 PM
Good Afternoon,

Brand new to casting... Im using the Lee 356 125 2R cast for 9mm, I have Titegroup and Longshot for powders what is a good charge and overall length to start with.....Thanks

Virginia John
12-23-2014, 03:07 PM
Check any reloading book or on-line source they will give you a range for the powder and an overall length not to exceed. Start with the low end for the charge and work your way up until you feel what you would like. Load about 10 at a time prior to increasing your powder weight. That should be enough to get a good feel.

Thumbcocker
12-23-2014, 03:16 PM
Pull the barel out of your pistol and use it for a gauge to do a plunk test. Basically you want your loads to plunk in at the same depth as a factory load. Follow recommendations in the loading manual on oal. Go to the wheelguns pistols and hand cannons section and read the stickie on setting up to load 9mm.

Jr.
12-23-2014, 03:36 PM
Welcome to the board, and the addiction.

As stated before check a reloading manual for charges and COAL. Far more reliable information than you will find online from individuals. Just remember to load for LEAD bullets as the data for jacketed of the same weight will be different.

May I suggest the Lyman Cast Bullet Handbook. This was suggested to me when I first started and was a huge help. Plus it will have load data to get you started.

bangerjim
12-23-2014, 03:39 PM
2nds on the Lyman Cast book. You can also get load data for free from the manufacturer's website. They have a bunch for the powders they make.

I personally do NOT use load data given to me by people on the net. I rely on the 4 purchased books I have and the powder maker's websites.

Welcome!

bangerjim

runfiverun
12-23-2014, 09:51 PM
do a quick search for your boolit in the 9mm here.
it's a fairly popular combination [or was a while back] anyway a 358 diameter is generally recommended and you will have to adjust your load to the oal that will function in your gun.
I don't remember right off but recall it being a bit short with that boolit, and the loads [with faster powders] of course were also reduced into the 3-3.5 gr range to compensate.

Digger
12-23-2014, 10:04 PM
And another big welcome to this site ....

RED333
12-23-2014, 10:11 PM
Welcome, Titegroup is good powder and it is SO easy to double charge.
Read, read and read some more, size your boolits to the correct size for "your" barrel.
Reload 1 shell at a time, did I say Titegroup powder is so easy to double charge.
Make sure you weight each and every powder charge, over charging will make for a very bad day FAST!!!

mistermog
12-23-2014, 10:20 PM
Try to find someone with that bullet to try some in your pistol first. I had that exact bullet that would NOT fit in my M&P. I had to switch to the truncated cone. The ogive profile is not quite thin enough at the point and it banged into the rifling on my M&P. (In a 92fs though it worked fine)