PDA

View Full Version : Casting temperature for pue lead.

beleg2
02-18-2008, 08:31 AM
I have to cast some bullets for my muzzleloader, I have a Lee R.E.A.L. mold.
I have cast some bullets without thermometer and some bullets have not fill well and at the end of the sesion I get hole in the spure. Now that I find my thermometer, I would like to get some advieses about what is best temperature for casting pure lead?
Any advise would helps.
Martin

Bass Ackward
02-18-2008, 12:13 PM
I have to cast some bullets for my muzzleloader, I have a Lee R.E.A.L. mold.
I have cast some bullets without thermometer and some bullets have not fill well and at the end of the sesion I get hole in the spure. Now that I find my thermometer, I would like to get some advieses about what is best temperature for casting pure lead?
Any advise would helps.
Martin

Martin,

I find a pretty general guideline with any mix is 200 degrees over the melt point for a bottom pour. 150 degrees difference for ladling. Pure lead is about 625, so go from there.

Casting method, bullet diameter, mass, and mold quirks might just require 50 degrees more in both cases, but that is a good rule of thumb to start adjustments with any mix. Especially when you aren't sure what that mix is. :grin:

Buckshot
02-19-2008, 12:54 AM
................Casting temp for pure lead? Wide open, brother! Warp factor 9, peddle to the metal, balls to the wall, all ahead flank, ya got an afterburner? Seriously. I just crank my Lee up to 10 and set sail.

...............Buckshot

R.M.
02-19-2008, 02:24 AM
I believe that the hole in the sprue is from cutting the sprue too soon (before the core of the bullet has solidified), and it's pulling a bit of slush with it.
Try slowing down a bit, or a wet rag to cool the mold some.

calaloo
02-19-2008, 10:21 AM
The hole in the sprue could be from the cooling lead shrinking and creating a cavity. Keep a puddle of melt on the sprue hole untill the bullet hardens.

Just my $.02 worth.

Bill

beleg2
02-19-2008, 06:54 PM
Thanks for the answer.
The mold was probably too hot, I will try the Bruce method for cooling it.
The bullet sucks lead as the sprue cools until there is a little hole in the sprue (I beg your pardon for my english).
I have been reading all I can get in order to learn more about casting good bullets.
Thanks again for all the information I will let you know how it works.
Martin

DLCTEX
02-19-2008, 08:28 PM
The hole is probably caused by cutting the sprue too soon, assuming you are making a puddle on top of the sprue plate when pouring. I blow on it to speed cooling. Use of bullplate lube will maybe eliminate the problem, or reduce it at least. My 2 cents. DALE

JohnSmiles
02-19-2008, 08:34 PM
One of two things for sure.
Either the lead is still shrinking as you cut the sprue, or more likely, sounds like you may not be allowing enough of a puddle to form on the sprue.
Fill it up.
As for temp. . . I never have used a thermometer.
The bullet lets me know if its too hot, too cold, or just right.
:castmine:

JeffinNZ
02-19-2008, 10:35 PM
I'm with Buckshot. Full noise, maximum setting, pedal down.