PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a Remington 700 Bolt.

Jr.
12-22-2014, 10:42 PM
Well I am trying to help a buddy out. His late fathers .270 Win is in need of some repair. It seems an old friend had tried out some reloads in this rifle and damaged the bolt. To what extent I do not know.
He took the bolt saying he would get it fixed. This was over 10 years ago and the friend is no longer with us.
So the question here is where can I find a bolt without it costing me an arm and a leg to get this nostalgic piece working again for my friend.
I don't have much experience with Remington parts so I am unsure where the best place to buy them would be.

reddoggm
12-22-2014, 10:45 PM
Hey there Jr sorry about they way you came into this
Might try posting the same thread in the WTB Buddy
DOGG!!!

runfiverun
12-22-2014, 11:58 PM
if you ruined the bolt on a rifle I'd be more worried about the state of the rest of the rifle a little more than finding a bolt.

Jr.
12-23-2014, 12:23 AM
Everything else looks to be okay. Like I said I don't know the extent of the damage to the bolt. But this guy just got the rifle from his mother. It was his dads old hunting rig and that was the story he was told when the rifle didn't have a bolt in it. Just trying to get it functional for him already fixed up an old 788 that had been sitting in a closet for 15 years and was gummed up pretty good.

Rufus Krile
12-23-2014, 12:26 AM
Pacific Tool and Gauge... they're good folks with a great product.

Gofaaast
12-23-2014, 12:29 AM
I would start by contacting Remington. I had to send a 700 back several years ago when the bolt handle broke off. They replaced the complete bolt (no charge) instead of just brazing the handle back on the old bolt.The lugs made much better contact when it was returned also. It doesn't cost anything to ask them.

Artful
12-23-2014, 01:13 AM
You can find a bolt lots of places - PTG is good
http://shop.pacifictoolandgauge.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=308_4_101_103&products_id=173

but it sounds like you need the bolt assembly
http://www.midwayusa.com/product/516892/ptg-bolt-assembly-remington-700-long-action-308-winchester-bolt-face-with-remington-extractor-steel-blue?cm_vc=ProductFinding
- then you have to check headspace on it, plus you might want to have the receiver checked for damage (micro fracturing)

- best course does seem to send back to the factory or authorized repair center.
http://www.remington.com/pages/support/parts-information/specialty-parts-dealers.aspx

Important Returns and Repairs New Policy Message

To provide enhanced repair and return service, we are now requiring that consumers contact our customer service team at: 800-243-9700 to obtain a Service Request Number (SRN) prior to shipping any product to the Company or Authorized Service Center. This will allow for improved tracking of returns and ensure all consumers benefit from a faster and more reliable process.

No return will be accepted without an SRN on the shipping label. Packages sent without the required SRN will not be accepted and marked Return to Sender.

We appreciate your cooperation and look forward to improving this process.

Consumer Services / Parts & Service
TEL: 1-800-243-9700
Fax: 1-336-548-7801

www.shopremingtoncountry.com

Jr.
12-23-2014, 01:42 AM
Not sure when this rifle was purchased probably not under warranty anymore.

Would it be okay to have the local gun smith check the headspace?

runfiverun
12-23-2014, 01:50 AM
he should be able to do that without any trouble.
he might even know of another bolt.

BK7saum
12-23-2014, 01:52 AM
Remington has been excellent for me lately. I sent a 30ish year old 700 back for off center scope mounting holes. They replaced the barrelled action : no charge.

Sent a 700 back with bulged barrel. Got the rifle in a trade. Contacted Remington and told them I acquired it used in that condition. Asked if they could check it out and let me know what it'd cost to fix. They replaced the barrel and action with used parts in good condition : no charge.

It doesn't hurt to ask...

Jr.
12-23-2014, 01:53 AM
I'll check there tomorrow just to see what he's got. Most bolt rifles I've dealt with are savage and I have done all the work to them myself. This is just a realm of ignorance for me.

hiram1
12-23-2014, 08:14 PM
Pacific Tool and Gauge

MostlyOnThePaper
12-24-2014, 01:48 AM
The one thing is be concerned with sending it back to Remington is if they are going to lawyerize the trigger. I guess if they were doing that the guys that spoke up about positive experiences would have mentioned it, but it's still something I'd be wary of.

Wayne Smith
12-24-2014, 08:54 AM
The one thing is be concerned with sending it back to Remington is if they are going to lawyerize the trigger. I guess if they were doing that the guys that spoke up about positive experiences would have mentioned it, but it's still something I'd be wary of.
From the way Jr. talks about this family I doubt anyone would know the difference!

lightman
12-24-2014, 09:08 AM
Talk to some Smiths that do custom work. After market bolts are getting to be a big thing and there should be a few factory bolts laying around, someplace. Pacific Tool and Gauge makes a nice one, but its not cheap. With a different bolt,you should check the headspace anyway, and may need some fitting done. May as well start with Smith, unless you can do this work yourself.

Hickok
12-24-2014, 09:13 AM
Depending on the damage, any addition of a new bolt will necessitate having the headspace checked. The rifle was headspaced to the original bolt that was damaged.

This is a "must do" if a new bolt is to be used in the rifle. Any good gunsmith can perform this check.

Jr.
12-25-2014, 06:56 PM
Tried to get ahold of the local smith and he is off for the holidays. So it'll be after the first of the year. And I do have the vise and wrenches to adjust head space (same tool as I use for the savage) but no headspace guages. Only a set of guages for belted magnums.

And I'm sure that this guy wouldn't know a bad trigger from a good one. But he is a nice fellow and asked for help.
His father passed when he was young so he never was taught to shoot or reload. But he seems eager to get this rifle working again so he can hunt with it. He is just getting started in this department.

I told him to contact Remington as he is the owner of the rifle and see what they could do for him. And in the meantime I would keep searching for a bolt.