PDA

View Full Version : Whats a Ruger Security Six Worth

Wasalmonslayer
12-22-2014, 09:43 PM
Question for all the wheel gun guru's
I had a smith 686 stainless catch my eye now to fund it I am thinking of selling my Ruger Security six.
It is a black 4" in good to excellent condition.

Thanks for the input
Wasalmonslayer

GhostHawk
12-22-2014, 10:51 PM
Take a peek on gunbroker.

Most of the ones I looked at were priced a bit more than I wanted to pay.
SS always costs more of course.

Condition also makes a big difference.

shooting on a shoestring
12-22-2014, 11:06 PM
Sad to see you thinking of getting rid of your Security Six. That's the kind of gun most folks really regret letting go of after its too late.

I understand real well the allure of a good S&W and wish you the best getting it.

I I also understand real well the kind of choices we less-than-optimally-funded shooters have to make. Having made some I can say that trading off a good Security Six for whatever reason will be a decision you'll reconsider often in just a few turns down the road. It'll haunt you.

454PB
12-22-2014, 11:11 PM
I have to agree. I bought a Security Six used......at a very cheap price......and I wouldn't sell it for 3 times what I paid.

They are a classic that is becoming harder to find.

Petrol & Powder
12-22-2014, 11:26 PM
I had a few Security-six's / Service-six's and let them go. Bad idea, totally regretted letting them go. I later found an excellent Service-Six and it's never leaving. Probably one of the best revolvers I've ever had! If you put a set of grips on that gun that fit you - you'll never find a better all-around 4" DA 38 spl. revolver. (Ok that's a bit over the top but they are outstanding guns!)

MtGun44
12-22-2014, 11:32 PM
They had been going for around $300-350 in SS and maybe -$25 for blue,
and +$25 for 6 inch barrel. Last 6-8 months they seem to be catching on,
have seen OFFERED at gun shows for $450-600. Not sure what they are
actually getting, though. My bet is $450 is a fair price for one in top shape.

Bill

Wasalmonslayer
12-22-2014, 11:42 PM
Now I am double thinking getting rid of it!!!!
All my guns are like my kids I don't like to see em leave the roost.
Now I will have to sell a rifle y'all talked me out of it.
Thanks for setting me straight.

Wasalmonslayer

contender1
12-22-2014, 11:49 PM
I quit selling guns a long time ago as I got to where I HATED seller remorse. If I sell one now, it's because I got it to sell & not keep. But I don't do many of those.
Keep the Ruger, keep the rifle, sell OTHER stuff to fund the S&W. Yard sale, bake sale, recycling materials, etc to pay for another gun!

Petrol & Powder
12-23-2014, 12:00 AM
Keep the Ruger, Shoot the Ruger, let someone else buy the S&W :?

Gofaaast
12-23-2014, 12:10 AM
Another 686 will come along. Your security six most likely won't come along when you would like it back. But I never sell just buy, so I might not be the person to take advice from. Not a ruger man, so I can't help you on the price.

Wasalmonslayer
12-23-2014, 12:11 AM
But the smith is the sexy stainless with wood grips from the performance shop.
He spoke to me and said it would like to hang with his little brother 637 from the performance shop I bought last year that shoots lights out!

Outpost75
12-23-2014, 12:11 AM
The Ruger will still be shooting when the S&W is worn out.

dilly
12-23-2014, 12:17 AM
You were thinking of trading and out of production gun for a current production gun. Those are the kind of trades people usually regret.

Wasalmonslayer
12-23-2014, 12:24 AM
Ya now I am gonna keep it for sure!
its not leaving the clan!!!!

Lonegun1894
12-23-2014, 05:31 AM
I shot a friends Security Six as a teenager, and had to have one. Well, when I found one, it was sitting next to a Charter Arms .44 Special Bulldog, and we all know a .44 is better than a .357, so I bought the .44. I walked around kicking myself for several more years before I found another one, and when I found it, I couldn't get my wallet out quick enough. It has a lifetime home, my lifetime that is, cause that thing will easily outlast me.

Guesser
12-23-2014, 08:34 AM
Have owned, loaded for, and used both the S&W and the SS. I'll stay with my Security Sixes.

Petrol & Powder
12-23-2014, 09:44 AM

/\ + 1

762 shooter
12-23-2014, 09:58 AM
One here on Armslist for $425.

richhodg66
12-23-2014, 10:06 AM
I bought a six inch Security SIx right after I got back from DEsert STorm. Dad had had a few over the years and I liked them. It's one of a few guns I own that I really don't like getting very far from, has accompanied me on many camping and other trips off the blacktop over the years. I like S&Ws too, but I sure wish Ruger had kept making the Security Six.

SteveS
12-23-2014, 10:17 AM
I'm glad you decided to keep it.

I've had a 4", blued, Security Six for thirty years. Actually, it started out as a six incher but I had the barrel replaced with the 4". I don't think there's a better mid sized .357.

dubber123
12-23-2014, 06:30 PM
Is it a good one? or just a Security Six? They did make both. I have had experience with one in the "not so good" category. If it's a good one, keep it and save for the S&W. If it's a clunker, send it on down the road.

MtGun44
12-23-2014, 11:48 PM
"The Ruger will still be shooting when the S&W is worn out." Sec Sixs are really good
guns, but not magical.

An acquaintance recently returned his Sec Six SS to Ruger because the barrel failed at the
front of the frame. So they do not all last forever. L-frames are pretty stout guns, too.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=125155&d=1419393263

BUT - Ruger sent him a new GP100 because they don't have the parts to repair it.

Bill

clum553946
12-24-2014, 09:20 AM
I have both but if I had to lose one, it would be the 686. The Smith is a little smoother but the security six is one tough gun!

dilly
12-24-2014, 11:28 AM
"The Ruger will still be shooting when the S&W is worn out." Sec Sixs are really good
guns, but not magical.

An acquaintance recently returned his Sec Six SS to Ruger because the barrel failed at the
front of the frame. So they do not all last forever. L-frames are pretty stout guns, too.

http://castboolits.gunloads.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=125155&d=1419393263

BUT - Ruger sent him a new GP100 because they don't have the parts to repair it.

Bill

That happened to me once too, and Ruger responded similarly.

Of the many explanations given to me, the one that made the most sense to me is that when installing barrels there was a guy who would instead of cleaning up the threads properly just muscled it on there with a cheater bar. Under normal firing conditions, that is not the kind of failure that happens from an over pressure load. I am inclined to believe that Ruger made a run of these that might have that problem, but if yours isn't one of them it's probably not too bad.

Everyone loves their security six, service six, or speed six revolver but I have personally had pretty bad luck with them.

One hazard that comes from buying used guns is that people tend to keep the best ones for life, while the less than perfect ones float around from owner to owner over the years souring peoples' opinions.

Petrol & Powder
12-24-2014, 02:50 PM
Ruger had some problems with the Stainless Steel Redhawks losing their barrels in a similar fashion. Turned out to be stress corrosion cracking at the barrel threads and was traced to the assembly lubricant they were using at the time. They corrected that issue in their manufacturing process. They also repaired or replaced any that they received with that failure. I wonder if that Security-Six pictured above suffered the same fate ?
It's certainly a spectacular failure but I don't believe it's a design flaw. In any event, I'm a big fan of the "Six" series Rugers and the GP-100's. (with a slight favor for the Service-Six[smilie=s:) I agree they are not magical but they do have an excellent track record and a very faithful group of followers. Anything mechanical can fail and long term use will take it's toll on any tool.
Mtgun44's point is well taken, if you put anything up on a pedestal you're eventually going to be disappointed. That being said, the Six series Rugers have overall....proven to be very reliable in the long run.
The S&W L & N frames are good guns and I've seen some very high mileage examples of those guns as well.

As for the comment about the hazard of buying a "bad" used gun, there's some truth to that as well. People are reluctant to part with good guns and more likely to sell off lessor ones. That may skew the collective opinion about a particular model but I think over time it tends to level out. I've seen some brand loyalty that defied logic and I've seen some that seems to be rooted in actual experience.

Charlie U.
12-24-2014, 08:45 PM
I sold off a 4" stainless steel model within the last year or so. It was in very nice used condition. It had factory wood grips, a leather holster, plus a pair of HKS speed loaders. Sold it on GunBroker for $550 plus shipping.

I would expect your blued model will sell for a bit less than a stainless model, but not a whole lot less.

Hope that helps.

MtGun44
12-24-2014, 11:22 PM
The stress corrosion cracking due to lubricant is a VERY credible scenario. I retired after
many years in industry, starting in the chemical industry where SCC is a serious problem
with many alloys and particular product streams, and then spent the last 35 in aerospace
where similar situations exist due to extremely long service life of things we built. Choice
of cutting lubes and assembly lubes was critical.

Yes, I would easily believe SCC from a lubricant. Certain alloys are definitely prone to that,
and the threads would be superb stress concentrators. Could also be related to a particular
exposure to a chemical, urine, chlorine-containing solutions, etc can trigger this in some alloys,
especially when highly stressed - as a torqued barrel can be.

A big fan of both the Sec Six and the 586, but both are made by the hand of man and not
all are treated as well as we would like.

Bill

rintinglen
12-26-2014, 04:20 AM
Some may break, but most won't. There was a 6 inch Security Six Rental gun over at the indoor range I used to frequent that had well over 200,000 rounds put through it before being sent back for a new barrel. The forcing cone was heavily eroded, but the gun was otherwise in good shape. That gun had a butter smooth action.

Bullwolf
12-26-2014, 05:33 AM
Some may break, but most won't. There was a 6 inch Security Six Rental gun over at the indoor range I used to frequent that had well over 200,000 rounds put through it before being sent back for a new barrel. The forcing cone was heavily eroded, but the gun was otherwise in good shape. That gun had a butter smooth action.

My 6 inch blued Ruger Security Six was also a rental at the local gun range where I worked. It was already quite well used before I purchased it. It won't be winning any beauty pageants, but is definitely a work horse.

Other than now having a somewhat largish barrel to cylinder gap, and showing some signs of forcing cone erosion, it's still quite functional... It does spit some out of the gap.

- Bullwolf

Good Cheer
12-26-2014, 09:56 PM
http://i791.photobucket.com/albums/yy192/SNARGLEFLERK/HochSecuritySixMold_zpsfd6ec311.jpg (http://s791.photobucket.com/user/SNARGLEFLERK/media/HochSecuritySixMold_zpsfd6ec311.jpg.html)
Long range accuracy bullet from Richard Hoch in 1981 to suit the Security Six chamber and rifling.

Never let a Security Six go unless it's a stinker.

Three44s
12-28-2014, 10:03 PM
The series is timeless!

Three 44s

358 Win
01-05-2015, 06:49 PM
I bought a new Security Six, 6 inch in 1976 which has the 200th year stamping. Replaced the grips and did a trigger job myself replacing the factory springs with an after market Wolfe spring kit. A local gunsmith put a flourescent orange insert into the front sight. I competed many years with it in Bullseye Competition, Falling Plates, and running deer shoots. Anything timed or rapid fire I shot double action only. I still have it and will never get rid of it. I've killed several deer with it and used it in a self defense situation where luckily I did not need to fire it, the mere presence of it defused the situation. I've fired over 150,000 rounds through it, mostly target loads when shooting competition. Still tight as a drum and it's smoother than ever. It still looks quite decent even after forty one years of continuous use.

I carry a 1944 vintage 1911A1 or my 1980 vintage S&W 19-4 four inch whenever I'm out and about. Both are bone stock and very accurate and usable, but I doubt if either will take the pounding my 1976 vintage Security Six has taken.

358 Win

snowwolfe
01-06-2015, 11:32 AM

Even IF this were true S&W offers a lifetime warranty so it's a non issue.

Lonegun1894
01-06-2015, 11:44 AM
Even IF this were true S&W offers a lifetime warranty so it's a non issue.

If your gun is a range toy, I can understand your position, but for those of us who depend on them, being without it for weeks or months while the factory decides what to do to fix or replace it isn't an option.

backhoe
01-06-2015, 11:52 AM
Keep the Ruger and save for the Smith because the Smith's are still out there. I had the stainless Ruger and let it go,now I have five Smith's and I still miss my Ruger, but having two Single Sixes and a .45 convertable eases the pain.Hang on to it man!

Skunk1
01-06-2015, 04:36 PM
Keep the ruger. Bought a used SS in the mid 90's. My kids got a taste of it and I can barely keep up reloading for it. Bought a blued version last month for $450 and my father in law fondled it. Needless to say him and my wife talked me into to selling it to him. Now on the lookout for another to replace it. Got 2 kids so I fingured I need 1 for each.

Alan in Vermont
01-07-2015, 09:48 PM
I'm not sure if it is still the case or not but the Ruger cylinder used to be longer than any 357 Smith cylinder. The Ruger will allow loading the 358429 Keith SWC to the crimp groove in 357 cases. They don't fit by much but they do fit.