PDA

View Full Version : Penn Bullets

floydrturbo
02-18-2008, 07:30 AM
I would like to start shooting cast bullets, but would like to start with already cast bullets. Any body ever buy bullets from Penn Bullets?

randyrat
02-18-2008, 08:28 AM
No, sorry i haven't bought bullets in a long time. I have a idea. If you let us know what kind of rifle/pistol your shooting someone here would make you a hundred or so of their favorite projectiles. It may cost you postage and a couple cups of coffee. That way your not stuck with 5000-1000 bullets you don't want. First let us know what you are shooting. Remember "one's favorite is not always everyones favorite" You gun is the telling truth. If you are interested in cast boolits start reading or lurking around if you haven't already. Start looking at equipment. It dosen't always have to be a huge investment all at once. I think everyone here has givin to help someone get started and did it happily.

rugerman1
02-18-2008, 09:26 AM
Before I started casting,I used Penn Bullets and Mastercast (from Enon Valley,Pa).Both make superb projectiles :drinks:

broomhandle
02-18-2008, 10:35 AM
Hi Sir,

+1 for Penn bullets!

I have bought a ton of there bullets! Nice quality & well packed & shipped on time!

Best,
broomhandle

Bass Ackward
02-18-2008, 10:52 AM
Yes. Top notch bullets with a so so lube considering what it is. But he isn't a board member here, so why not investigate our guys?

The important thing is he understands sizing of his bullets, but not your gun. So you need to slug your gun and you can search this site for that topic if you are unsure how to do it. This way you can tell him what size throats and bore you have and he will give you what size your gun requires. Do this and you will be happy with what you receive.

This is where most commercial guys run into problems. Especially when they make bullets for commercial sale. The customer seldom calls and when they do, the customer makes a guess and the result is poor or leading. My local store carries these, but only in .429 diameter for 44 caliber. So for a lot of 44 caliber customers, they hate Penn bullets and some hate cast bullets. Sad thing is that it's the bullet manufacturers reputation that suffers.

336A
02-18-2008, 11:01 AM
The only commercial cast bullets that I buy anymore are from Tennessee Valley Bullets. The man tha runs the business is Jessie Clark and he is a first rate guy to deal with. One of the big reasons I like his product is he is casts his bullets to 12 BHN (he will cast bullets harder upon request). His prices are very reasonable and all my orders have only taken 2 days to arrive after my order was processed. I highly recomend him.

http://www.tennesseevalleybullets.com/

nicholst55
02-18-2008, 12:47 PM
The ability to choose the diameter of commercial cast boolits is a definite plus. Being able to choose the hardness too would truly be icing on the cake, as most commercial casters only cast to one hardness - generally TOO HARD!

Definitely slug the bore(s) on your handgun(s); if they're revolvers measure the chamber throats also. Order boolits in a diameter that either matches the groove diameter(s) or are .001" oversize - assuming that it's possible. Most modern handgun barrel are held to pretty close tolerances, but they can, and do, vary.

You don't need rock-hard boolits for about 98% of handgun use, even full-power Magnum loads in .357 and .44 Mags. Do a little research before you buy a bunch of boolits that may or may not meet your needs. And enjoy! This is supposed to be a hobby!

GSM
02-18-2008, 02:39 PM
Penn is a good outfit. I used them before I got into casting. About the only folks that make a full wadcutter 45 cal. Zero is also good for swaged pistol.

Run from National.

JSnover
02-18-2008, 03:38 PM
I would like to start shooting cast bullets, but would like to start with already cast bullets. Any body ever buy bullets from Penn Bullets?

Hit the Bull Shop link at the bottom of the page. He offers to cast any bullet, any style, any alloy. Slug your barrel and send him a PM

wboggs
06-22-2010, 09:37 AM
I recently became a customer of Penn Bullets and can’t tell enough people how satisfied I have been. Yea some orders get filled faster than others but no matter when I hit his production schedule (days before he runs of the size I order or not) I know his product is worth the wait and will manage my inventory accordingly to be able to get his quality and his quality control watching what goes into your box of bullets. I know this because he is local to me and I get to watch their operation when I stop by. They're a great bunch of guys and care about their work. And for technical information, Bob will answer any question you have to help you attain the results you are looking for.

As far as spreading the word, the performance of his bullets on the firing line speaks volumes alone.

This is a 15 shot group at about 40' with Pen Bullet RNFPBB 200 gr. bullets. I loaded the .45 Colts with 9 grains of Unique, CCI 300 primer in Starline Brass trimmed to length for consistent crimp; roll crimped with my RCBS Cowboy crimping die then full length factory crimp die to size the whole cartridge.

http://inlinethumb61.webshots.com/27132/2536138880101870711S500x500Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2536138880101870711nSZuts)

Sometimes I get bored putting holes in paper and go for some action shooting cutting cards (from the edge) at around 25 - 30'.

http://inlinethumb14.webshots.com/46157/2974426750101870711S500x500Q85.jpg (http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2974426750101870711pMoqCh)

At my club we staple our outdoor targets to a plywood backer so I staple wood shims to the face hanging over the side and then staple the cards to the end of the shim so the edge of the card is facing me. When I have a solid backer with no edge to use I cut a small cardboard box to the face of the backer then staple the card to the side of the box.

Go to his site and watch the slide show of his customers. You'll see event winning shooters and some impressive big game shoots. If you want to follow them, follow them to their suppliers too.

http://www.pennbullets.com/

pistolman44
06-22-2010, 01:49 PM
They make top notch boolits. I used thier 255gr RNF for my Ruger Blackhawk .45LC. I loaded them up hot to 1200 fps. and that was a very accurate load with the Penn Boolits. But I cast my own now and and haven't used them in a couple of years.

wboggs
06-22-2010, 01:56 PM
They make top notch boolits. I used thier 255gr RNF for my Ruger Blackhawk .45LC. I loaded them up hot to 1200 fps. and that was a very accurate load with the Penn Boolits. But I cast my own now and and haven't used them in a couple of years.

I see you're likely a Pittsburgh resident, where do you shoot?

deltaenterprizes
06-22-2010, 02:14 PM
Penn is a good outfit. I used them before I got into casting. About the only folks that make a full wadcutter 45 cal. Zero is also good for swaged pistol.

Run from National.

National is out of business.

another gsxr 1k
06-22-2010, 02:31 PM
Have a look at Missouri bullet also. www.missouribullet.com I've had great luck with them, no leading issues from their stuff in my .45acps. Good prices and prompt shipping. I believe he will still send essentially sample packs at reasonable prices.

wboggs
06-22-2010, 02:31 PM
I'll tell you there's a lot of bad ones out there and cheap guarantees you junk; it's jsut to easy to make junk and pass it off to people who dont know any better. Best news is Penn Bullets are a bargain with the attention they give their product and I've stood there and watched how they work.

IMO loading your own ammunition is more for accuracy while saving money. If all you're trying to do is save, you're shooting yourself in the foot.

wboggs
06-22-2010, 02:34 PM
Have a look at Missouri bullet also. www.missouribullet.com I've had great luck with them, no leading issues from their stuff in my .45acps. Good prices and prompt shipping. I believe he will still send essentially sample packs at reasonable prices.

That's one of the ones I've learned to stay away from; especially since you pay the same at Penn Bullets and get custom product.

Tom-ADC
06-22-2010, 03:14 PM
Yes. Top notch bullets with a so so lube considering what it is. But he isn't a board member here, so why not investigate our guys?

Great boolits Penn but whatever lube he was trying at the time feel off the boolits for the most part, I ended up relubing the boolits but they do shoot well. I emailed my concern and he was revising te lube.

82nd airborne
06-22-2010, 03:34 PM
what are you looking for? if I have it, ill send you some free of charge, to help you get started, It is a terriffic sport.

wboggs
06-22-2010, 05:05 PM
Great boolits Penn but whatever lube he was trying at the time feel off the boolits for the most part, I ended up relubing the boolits but they do shoot well. I emailed my concern and he was revising te lube.

No lube problems...

fredj338
06-22-2010, 05:14 PM
Penn makes a great bullet, a bit spendy, but a fine product.

anachronism
06-22-2010, 05:59 PM
People buy bullets? Whay's this world coming to?