PDA

View Full Version : 1858 cylinder?

12-22-2014, 03:04 AM
I have found a Pieta 1858 with cross treaded nipples. He's selling for a fair price it seems and Cabelas have spare cylinder for sale for this model it appears. Any cautions I should look at before buying? This is new territory for me. I've shoot revolvers most of my life and blackpowder rifles just no cap n balls. Thanks for any info.

William Yanda
12-22-2014, 07:31 AM
When I bought my 1858 Pieta from Cabela's I bought a spare cylinder. I had no timing issues. Go for it.

Zouave 58
12-22-2014, 09:04 AM
The only issue you might experience would be a hand that is too long or too short and would require a gunsmith to re-time the revolver.

dondiego
12-22-2014, 10:37 AM
How does one cross thread 6 nipples? That might be a concern.

12-22-2014, 10:50 AM
He said he put wrong sized nipples in it and mesed threads up that way. I've agreed to take it upon inspection.

Hellgate
12-22-2014, 08:20 PM
I'd be afraid that the ruined threads wouldn't hold the nipple in and it'd blow out the back. Probably not harm the shooter if it went upwards but who wants to test it. I would expect that the more coarse 12X28 (Ruger/ASM/Uberti) threads would bugger up the finer 6X.75s (Pietta) pretty badly.

Tackleberry41
12-22-2014, 08:26 PM
If the nipples werent something you had to take out all the time, you could probably fix the ones he messed up, larger threads. But they will be coming out every time you use it. I have a spare cylinder that works fine in either of my piettas, both made decades apart.

mazo kid
12-23-2014, 07:26 PM
If the owner tried to put wrong sized nipples in, there could be a couple of interpretations: one, he tried the right sized nipples with wrong threads, and two, he tried oversized nipples. If you want to sell that cylinder, I would be interested in it.

freedom475
12-23-2014, 10:16 PM
I have found a Pieta 1858 with cross treaded nipples. He's selling for a fair price it seems and Cabelas have spare cylinder for sale for this model it appears. Any cautions I should look at before buying? Yes!! Pietta changed the size of there cylinder notches some time ago... so if it is an older model you will not be able to just order a new cylinder. I have both. Somewhere on the net is the answer of what year,,,I know I knew years ago but I don't know where to find the info now. If you search, and find the year this change happened you will be able to look at the date code on this revolver and know if it is pre-change or a modern one.

Added...OK I found some of the info..my narrow notch gun is a 1998 (BL) date code) and it has narrow notches...it was the general consensus that Pietta changed to there new CNC machines around the year 2000

I have 10 or 15,... 58 rem cylinders and they ALL interchange with a 1/2 dozen different 58 remingtons Except the narrrow notch gun( I only have one extra cylinder for it....yep I really like the cap and balls...[smilie=w:

As Long As I Use Real BlackPowder...I take the nipples out when I first get a new gun..clean the oil off of them and lube the threads with good lube or anti-seize....and then NEVER REMOVE them again!! (at least not every year!!) just makes no sense, and it sure isn't needed!

Hellgate
12-24-2014, 02:29 AM
Dittos on Freedom474: I take the nipples out on a new gun after I find they function reliably, coat the threads with anti-sieze grease and never take them out again unless the nipple recess gets so crudded up with fouling that the caps don't seat.

swathdiver
12-24-2014, 08:20 PM
If the cylinder is older, from the 1990s or earlier if memory serves, the slots for the bolt will be too narrow for current production revolvers.

doc1876
12-26-2014, 12:45 AM
I have to say there is a lot of great advice here, but the most important thing is to not fire that with the stripped threads in the nipples, I agree with the previous posts, it will not bode well for the person in the back of the gun.
Get the new cylinder, and you might have a competent gunsmith install larger threaded nipples correctly for you in the original, so you can interchange the cylinders. ml pistols are a blast to shoot.
You might also look into the conversion options out there, and fire brass cartridges in it......just a thought.

Safeshot
12-26-2014, 01:42 AM
Cabela's has the blued steel extra cylinder for the 1858 .44 cal. Pitta cap and ball revolvers on sale for $39.99 (last time I checked a few minutes ago). You might also consider a "Cartridge Conversion Cylinder". They are available in .45 Long Colt Cal and .45 Auto Cal. in 5 and 6 shot styles. Midway has some, "Google" for other sources.

John Taylor
12-26-2014, 05:50 PM
Cabela's has the blued steel extra cylinder for the 1858 .44 cal. Pitta cap and ball revolvers on sale for $39.99 (last time I checked a few minutes ago). You might also consider a "Cartridge Conversion Cylinder". They are available in .45 Long Colt Cal and .45 Auto Cal. in 5 and 6 shot styles. Midway has some, "Google" for other sources.
good price on cylinder, VTI has them for $85. There are two different cartridge conversion companies, http://www.kirstkonverter.com/1858-remington.html http://www.buffaloarms.com/r_and_d_conversion_cylinders_pr-3787.aspx . The six shot 45 has the chambers at a slight angle so the rims will clear.

12-27-2014, 11:41 PM
I picked up at Cabela's a new cylinder, tomorrow I get the revolver hope they work together. I found a 1000 #10 caps today for under $35 now need more powder and lead. I'm a hopeless case.

swathdiver
12-28-2014, 01:12 AM
Where did you get the caps from?

Hellgate
12-28-2014, 01:14 AM
Yeah! What swathdiver just said!

starmac
12-28-2014, 02:43 AM
I may have just missed them, but I have seen exactly no #10 caos here since I have lived here. #11's cost us 79.90 a thousand, and have for the last 3 years.

12-28-2014, 09:37 PM
Dakota Mart in Pierre, SD had several boxes for that price wished I had more money I would have bought them all because a gun shop near by wanted $6.49 a tin for same ones I paid $3.49 for. They didn't have any #11 only #10 CCI brand.
New cylinder fit right in and timing is great. Thanks everyone for the help.