PDA

View Full Version : Dillon Square Deal Reloader......Where does it fit in???

Lefty Red
12-21-2014, 11:50 PM
Ok, so not to hi jack Tommie Boy's thread I started this one. So I have a T-7 turret press and a Classic Turret Press for my 44mag and rifle calibers and the CTP is set up for 38's at a friend's house.

I shoot about 300 rounds of 44mag a month. Its my hunting and fun caliber. I reload it on the turret and enjoy that. Not looking to mass produce this round. Same with the 38's, well maybe more due to son's rifle. But the CTP is fast enough.

I am looking for a progressive press to reload 9mm's with. I shoot about 800-1000 rounds a month. About wore my arm out reloading the 9mm! I get 200-250 rounds a week but it's work. So was looking at the Dillon 550b, so I can have a Big Blue Johnson like everyone else. But I am not planning on reloading in mass for rifle or another caliber. Just want to be able to kickout 200-400 rounds a week in one or two short sittings. So was thinking about the Square Deal.

Is this sound thinking?

Efin
12-21-2014, 11:52 PM
550, spend a little more, I have 2 - 550's, and wouldn't do a SDeal. More options for rifle etc and all factories dies work.

Lefty Red
12-22-2014, 12:20 AM
550, spend a little more, I have 2 - 550's, and wouldn't do a SDeal. More options for rifle etc and all factories dies work.

Like I said that is a non issue and I don't want to spend that kind of money. The SD seems to be the cheapest way to go as far as a complete system.

VHoward
12-22-2014, 12:58 AM
The Square Deal b is great for pistol calibers. Calibers can be changed on them, but they are dillon proprietary dies and about twice the cost of standard dies. These are awesome presses however if you leave it set up in one caliber only. I had a sdb in 9mm and could knock out 400 round in an hour without hurrying. I have since upgraded to an XL650 and sold the sdb. I sold my sdb for more than I paid for it, so don't worry about the investment too much.

Inline Fabrication does make a roller handle for the sdb if your into roller handles.

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
12-22-2014, 01:27 AM
I dont have a SDB but if you wanna try out a 550 you are more than welcome to try one of mine. Alvarez Kelly isn't that far from you either and he is like a dillon warehouse LOL. Brian normally has a few presses on hand.

Lefty Red
12-22-2014, 07:59 AM
I dont have a SDB but if you wanna try out a 550 you are more than welcome to try one of mine. Alvarez Kelly isn't that far from you either and he is like a dillon warehouse LOL. Brian normally has a few presses on hand.

I have used the 550b, it is a great press! I just don't want to pay that kind of money.
And thank you for your offer!

What I am looking for is a dedicated 9mm progressive press that will fit on my 3x2 foot reloading bench along with my T-7. Something set up and ready to go to kick out about 200-250 rounds in a session to shoot that weekend.
Not looking to swap out calibers with the SD, just keep it 9mm.
Jerry

imashooter2
12-22-2014, 08:25 AM
When folks say the dies are more expensive, it isn't a true comparison because the SDB includes the dies as a part of a complete conversion kit. If you have the 550 or 650, you can use anyone's dies, but you still have to buy a conversion kit from Dillon and that brings the cost pretty much in line between the presses.

I like the short throw and auto advance of the SDB. The short throw is less tiring, and I believe that auto advance is an important safety feature on a progressive press. (Save your howls of outrage. I know that the most important safety device is between your ears and I know that with some gyrations the auto advance can be compromised. The fact remains, it is far more difficult to double charge a case with an auto advance.)

Some folks say that the smaller frame size of the SDB is difficult to work with. I haven't found that to be the case.

I have an SDB and a 550 on the bench. The SDB gets used far more.

200 rounds is half an hour's work on an already set up and adjusted SDB.

dragon813gt
12-22-2014, 08:59 AM
A friend has two SDBs that he leaves set up for 357 and 9mm. It's a slick press and well worth the money if all you want to load is pistol cartridges. If there is any notion of wanting to load rifle, which isn't the case w/ the OP, then other presses are a better option. I keep debating buying a SDB and leaving it set up for 357.

Horace
12-22-2014, 09:20 AM
I never thought I would load as many different cartridges as I do........

Horace

Petrol & Powder
12-22-2014, 10:06 AM
If you're loading only one pistol caliber, the SDB is an OK choice. However, as Horace just pointed out, you don't know what the future holds. The SDB uses proprietary dies, which isn't the end of the world but it does limit you somewhat. I don't find auto indexing to be a feature that I need or want.
The 550 is a solid machine. I've loaded 10's of thousands of rounds on mine and I'd buy another in a nano second.
When converting from one caliber to another on a 550, the easiest method is to have complete tool heads set up with dies & powder measure but if you're on a budget, it is possible to strip the tool head of the dies and set it back up in different caliber. Frankly the tool heads just don't cost enough for me to worry about and I have them preset for each caliber I load on that machine.

300 rounds/hour is easily obtainable on a 550 and 400/hr is possible with extra pre-loaded primer tubes.
In terms of future adaptability, choice of standard dies (including mixing different die manufacturers on one tool head) and flexibility; I would have to select the 550 over the SDB. If you're really, really, really only going to load just 9mm forever........the SDB is slightly less money up front. As soon as you buy a second SDB you've lost that price advantage.

Lloyd Smale
12-22-2014, 10:12 AM
if all I was doing is what you are id hands down take a square deal over any other press. there faster then a 550 by a good amount and almost as fast as a 650 with a case feeder. there not as hard to convert to other calibers as some will tell you either. 15 minutes if I loafing will get it changed over. Nothing wrong with a 550. Only complaint ive had with 550s is back when I had my square deals. If I was loading on a sd and switched over to my 550 it felt like one of those dreams where your trying to run in mud. Now if I could only have one press for ALL my loading it would be a 550.

mac266
12-22-2014, 11:01 AM
You'll find that if you want to expand into loading more calibers, the 550b will be a much better choice. The Square Deal B is better for someone who is only going to load one caliber; although it does have caliber conversions, they are a PITA (and I think a bit more expensive). The 550b doesn't auto-index, but you'll probably find that's an advantage rather than a shortfall.

Since you're set on not spending the money on a 550b, maybe look into the Hornady press? I don't own one of their presses, but I have some of their tools and use a lot of their bullets (when I'm not shooting cast), and I think very highly of the company. My brother has their progressive press and likes it.

seagiant
12-22-2014, 11:03 AM
Hi,
I've had a few SD's but would not buy one today as they have gone up in price to far and have out grown their nitch! IMO, If I was you I would look at the LEE Classic Turret. You can get one completely set up for about $200 new and they are good loaders!

Bonz
12-22-2014, 11:05 AM
Hornady LNL progressive press

Lefty Red
12-22-2014, 11:28 AM
if all I was doing is what you are id hands down take a square deal over any other press. there faster then a 550 by a good amount and almost as fast as a 650 with a case feeder. there not as hard to convert to other calibers as some will tell you either. 15 minutes if I loafing will get it changed over. Nothing wrong with a 550. Only complaint ive had with 550s is back when I had my square deals. If I was loading on a sd and switched over to my 550 it felt like one of those dreams where your trying to run in mud. Now if I could only have one press for ALL my loading it would be a 550.

Thank you Lloyd. The 9mm is about the only caliber I want to mass produce, in a limited way. If that makes sense.
Jerry

HATCH
12-22-2014, 11:37 AM
The only problem I had with my SDB in 9mm was the "glock bulge".
I loaded up a bunch of JHP 9mm for my buddy.
after I had 1K loaded up using by the book/internet load data I finally got his 9mm pistol.
1/2 the rounds wouldn't chamber because of the bulge base.
I had to run them thru a lee carbide factory crimp die on my 550.
So needless to say I got rid of my 9mm setup for the SDB and later got rid of all 3 SDB for a 650 with case feeder

Walter Laich
12-22-2014, 12:10 PM
Not to go against the tide but I enjoy my SDBs. Have four that I've gathered over 30+ years. First one was new and cost $129.99 so you can see how long ago that was.
I like mine and have each set up for a different caliber which is nice. I do change back and forth from 45 LC to 45 ACP.
Different tool heads and the shell plate and I'm off.
9mm are fast and easy to load on a SDB
One note: my buddy had to return his as his hands were too big--course he wears a size 8 hat and it a giant of a guy

Love Life
12-22-2014, 12:25 PM
The Dillon SDB press fits your needs perfectly.

Not everybody needs or wants a 550b. In the years I have had my 550, the only rifle caliber I loaded on it was 5.56/223 to feed the black gun and that was only because I needed a bunch of rds fast. Since that initial batch I have used a single stage to load my masses of 5.56.

I'd do a SDB and call it a day if I were you.

jmorris
12-22-2014, 12:28 PM
The pair I have cost $130 new as well. They don't get used as much as they used to because I have since added the rest of the Dillon line to my reloading bench.

In short they will do what you are wanting to do. The last 100 rounds I laded on one took 9:36 starting with a full shell plate and primer tube.

That said I doubt I would buy one at today's prices but go with an LNL or 650 but that s just me.

Lefty Red
12-22-2014, 12:41 PM
The only problem I had with my SDB in 9mm was the "glock bulge".

Haven't heard that phrase in awhile. Thought it was a dead issue. I only shoot 9mm in Glocks, G26/G19/G34, and reuse the brass and do not have issue with any brass deformation. Now I have noticed a problem in my friend's Shield in 9mm. He uses WW headstamps and and really notice when resizing his brass. But not from full sized M&Ps or FNs.

Alvarez Kelly
12-22-2014, 12:43 PM
You might post a want to buy ad here. Good, used Square Deal presses come up all the time. You never know! :-)

pjames32
12-22-2014, 01:10 PM
I have 2 SDB's. One for large primers, one for small. I loads 4 calibers with them. I've loaded on 550 and 650. They are nice, but I like my SDB's.
PJ

Lefty Red
12-22-2014, 01:15 PM
You might post a want to buy ad here. Good, used Square Deal presses come up all the time. You never know! :-)

You talked me out of yours! LOL
And I thank you for it. It saved me money. But yeah, will keep watching til the first of the year and then buy.
Jerry

Lefty Red
12-22-2014, 01:16 PM
Hi,
I've had a few SD's but would not buy one today as they have gone up in price to far and have out grown their nitch! IMO, If I was you I would look at the LEE Classic Turret. You can get one completely set up for about $200 new and they are good loaders!

Did you not read my original posting?

dragon813gt
12-22-2014, 01:24 PM
Pretty obvious he didn't. One round = 4 pulls of the handle for the LCT. One round = one pull of the handle on the SDB. Pretty easy to see which one is better suited for rapid production.

Lefty Red
12-22-2014, 02:29 PM
Sorry Sea Giant. Please don't take that personally. Its just I stated I have a T-7 Turret (my Big Sage Green Johnson) and a Lee Classic Turret Press already. Its a good hour to get 100-125 rounds of 9mm done on the CTP. I am worn out! Its 400 pulls of the handle.

And as far as complete press for 9mm goes:
1) Lee Pro 1K-$180
2) Lee Loadmaster-$265
3) Dillion Square Deal-$375
4)Hornady LNL AP (no shell plate, no dies,)-$380
5)Dillon 550b (no handle, with dies, with conversion kit)-$530
6)Dillon 650XL (no handle, no dies, no conversion kit)-$590.

Looks like the Square Deal is a deal as a complete system with a great CS.

Jerry

Alvarez Kelly
12-22-2014, 03:15 PM
As of January, 2015;

New Dillon Square Deal presses are $384.95 ready to go.

New Dillon RL550Bs are $439.95 with a caliber conversion but no dies. Dillon dies are $64.95.

Not it sure where you got your pricing...

Lefty Red
12-22-2014, 03:42 PM
off of Flebay. And Grafs. And Amazon. Took the best of them all.
Pretty close to Dillon sight, but with shipping.

Alvarez Kelly
12-22-2014, 03:45 PM
off of Flebay. And Grafs. And Amazon. Took the best of them all.
Pretty close to Dillon sight, but with shipping.

Check out brianenos.com. Free shipping over $400. LOTS of great info. I buy through him a lot.

Lefty Red
12-22-2014, 03:48 PM
Check out brianenos.com. Free shipping over $400. LOTS of great info. I buy through him a lot.

I have talked to Brian! Awesome guy. As soon as I get the truck paid off, I will take a note out to get the 1050 from him! LOL

But with shipping and handling figured in, those were the best prices. And keeping this project under $400! I see no need in going over that.

Jerry

Lloyd Smale
12-22-2014, 04:29 PM
don't let the naysayers convince you its rocket science to switch calibers either. If it actually takes 10 minutes longer then doing one on a 550 your a pretty slow mover. Its probably faster then swapping out a 650 if you have to mess with the case feeder and is definitely a short duration then a 1050! About the only difference between swaping out a square deal and a 550 is you have to remove 4 allen screws instead of two pins. How long does it take to pull out 4 allen bolts and put them back in???
Thank you Lloyd. The 9mm is about the only caliber I want to mass produce, in a limited way. If that makes sense.
Jerry

Lloyd Smale
12-22-2014, 04:31 PM
a square deal will leave your press in the dust! Probably make ammo 5 to 1 over what you can make on that. that to me would be about like going out to buy a new car and looking for a crank starter for it.
Hi,

Lloyd Smale
12-22-2014, 04:39 PM
ive got two lnls with case feeders. By the time I swap calibers tweak the timing and fool with there second rate case feeder set up I can have a couple boxes loaded on my 550 and proably 3 or 4 on a square deal . I bought mine when they were giving away a 1000 free bullets. the bullets are now gone and I still have the lnls and all there headaches. Sure wish now I would have just bucked up the little more money and bought a couple 650s and saved another month and bought some bullets! Ive loaded enough on my lnls and on my buddys 650s to know theres no comparison. You defineately get your moneys worth paying a bit more for a 650. the lnls probably wouldn't be near the headache if id just take those *** casefeeders off of them. Like is said I own two lnls and wouldn't give you 200 bucks for another one. If someone came to my house with even a 550 and I didn't have to box all the **** up and mail it to swap id trade that 550 even up for a lnl case feeder and all.
Hornady LNL progressive press

Alvarez Kelly
12-22-2014, 04:43 PM
I have talked to Brian! Awesome guy. As soon as I get the truck paid off, I will take a note out to get the 1050 from him! LOL

But with shipping and handling figured in, those were the best prices. And keeping this project under $400! I see no need in going over that.

Jerry

You can always add some accessories or neat ammo boxes or other goodies to reach the $400 threshold for free shipping... :-)

Lefty Red
12-22-2014, 04:46 PM
You can always add some accessories or neat ammo boxes or other goodies to reach the $400 threshold for free shipping... :-)

Way ahead of you! "my cart" is right at $400! Brian has the best prices on the primer tubes, for a pack of four.

Alvarez Kelly
12-22-2014, 05:13 PM
Way ahead of you! "my cart" is right at $400! Brian has the best prices on the primer tubes, for a pack of four.
You might want to pull the trigger before 1 January. Dillon prices go up effective 1 January. I bet Brian has a banner on his website reminding people of the price increase.

Happy loading!

Kent Fowler
12-22-2014, 07:24 PM
I have had two SBD's for over 22 years. A small primer set up for 38/357/9mm/38 Super and the other is a large primer for 45ACP/45 Colt/41 Magnum. One has been rebuilt by Dillon twice in that period and the other once. Changing calibers used to be a lengthy process until I figured out I could measure how high the powder die, seating die and crimp die for each caliber are off the deck of the machine by using the depth rod on my dial caliper. I keep these measurements written down for each caliber and bullet. Doesn't take long at all to set the machine up. Using your notes,find the correct depth for each die on the caliper and lock it down, then set the length of the die sticking out of the machine deck by using the depth rod as your measurement. For example, the 45 ACP, using a Saeco 225 gr. will have a .300 reading from the top of the seating die to the deck. The crimp die on that particular bullet will be set at .672. It sounds rather lengthy, but I can change calibers in about 5 minutes. That is, if I can remember where I put my little spiral book with the settings as I've been known to loose things. I lost a LBT mold for over 2 years one time. For pistol, you can't beat a SBD, IMHO.

jmorris
12-22-2014, 07:26 PM
If you are a "handy" type of guy a case feeder for the SD is possible.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUdzxJenkX0

Alvarez Kelly
12-22-2014, 07:40 PM

Now you're just showing off. :-)

Lefty Red
12-22-2014, 08:11 PM

I am not. My Mom kept telling to stay away from the water hose because I was, "not good with tools!"

Lefty Red
12-22-2014, 08:12 PM
You might want to pull the trigger before 1 January. Dillon prices go up effective 1 January. I bet Brian has a banner on his website reminding people of the price increase.

Happy loading!

Just bought it!

Alvarez Kelly
12-22-2014, 08:46 PM
Just bought it!

Congratulations. You are now officially part of the blue team. :-)

Lefty Red
12-22-2014, 08:49 PM
I know! But just with a Small Blue Johnson!

Alvarez Kelly
12-22-2014, 08:56 PM
I know! But just with a Small Blue Johnson!

Blue is blue. Notice what color my alias is? I chose my sponsorship level based on what color my alias would be!!

VHoward
12-22-2014, 09:12 PM
You won't regret it. Good choice.

seagiant
12-22-2014, 09:30 PM
Hi,
Good deal! I mentioned the LCT as it sounded like money was a factor? I don't even own one but it's a good loader and people love em!

As Brian knows my favorite Dillon is the RL-300! Hard to find but better than ANY other Dillon I've run!

Spruce
12-22-2014, 09:36 PM
When was the 300's made? My first Dillon was an early 550B conversion. I still have the newspaper size add and never saw a 300 listed.

seagiant
12-22-2014, 09:50 PM
When was the 300's made? My first Dillon was an early 550B conversion. I still have the newspaper size add and never saw a 300 listed.

Hi,
From Mike Dillon.....Right from the source:

"Our first hobby-level progressive loader – The RL-300 – was a major learning experience. We built maybe 900 or 1000 of them, and lost about $100 on each one. This led to the RL-450, a less expensive machine to produce, and one that got the attention of the “big guys” in the reloading industry. By 1984, both Hornady and RCBS either had introduced or were preparing to introduce their own progressive reloaders, and they were much stronger than us in the distributor market. I wasn’t going to fight their fight. All good fighter pilots know that you don’t fight the other guy’s fight. Instead, I went into direct marketing. This was a go-for-broke thing. I spent every dollar I could raise on advertising. We had to sell 500 machines that month to pay for all the advertising we had purchased – we sold 5000."

That might be a collector's item.
#4 http://www.brianenos.com/forums/public/style_images/master/icon_share.png (http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=151236#entry1695081) dillon

jmort
12-22-2014, 09:58 PM
That was most interesting. Thanks

Spruce
12-22-2014, 10:11 PM
Thanks Seagiant. I see from that I made a mistake. My first Dillon was a RL450 and when I recieved it had the B conversion. I traded it for some guns, and I think I lost on that trade. I liked the RL450B. 199.95 in 7-17-84. The 300 looks like a slick press.

MtGun44
12-22-2014, 10:38 PM
That is just when I bought my RL450, 1984. Never looked back, eventually it
was upgraded to almost 550 setup, just not easily changeable calibers.

Bill

wellfedirishman
12-23-2014, 01:59 AM
I have 2 SQD presses and love them. One set for large primer and one for small primer. I have loaded several 10ks of rounds on them and they just work great.

Tyler Anderson
12-23-2014, 02:28 AM
I also gave a square deal b and use it mostly for glock fired 9mm. You will love it. I greatly prefer it to the 550 for loading pistol. I really like the auto indexing.

W.R.Buchanan
12-27-2014, 08:11 PM
I have two SDB's one for .40S&W and one for .45 ACP. I was original y going to by a different tool head for the .40S&W press but Brian made me such a good deal on a complete press I just did that.

Now I have two and a good friend gave me a 550B with a bunch of tooling so conceivably I could dump the SDB's and load everything on the 550B. This however, would not be as much fun as using many different presses to do different things.

the little SDB's are some of the best designed machines I have ever seen. If you did wear one out they can be rebuilt for about $10! but it won't even cost you that as Dillon will do it for you for free.

Great outfit to be associated with.

Randy

rockshooter
12-28-2014, 12:00 AM
I have a SD set up for 9mm and really like it. A couple of issues: It loads so many at one setting that I don't get to use it very often. Also, gotta watch for powder sloshing on the corner before you put the bullet in. I use Unique so the case is pretty full. You will be quite pleased.
Loren

Lefty Red
12-28-2014, 02:38 AM
Ok, I have the SD set up on my Inline Fabracation's Mirco Mount. Also went with Dan's dual bins bracket, for empty cases and bullets, and the roller handle. Nice!

I did have a couple issues with the primer feeder. I figured it out and even though I had 11 unprimed rounds out of 300 of the first batch, I got it adjusted and figured its just one of those that need to have the primer tube filled. No compliants, all machines need to be adjusted at first. But I have to say that this press is pretty much ready to go out of the box!

After loading over 700 rounds in the past two days. Yep, that is right! 700 rounds! I think the first 300 took about 2 hours, due to primer feeder. Today, the next 400 fed smooth! And I took my time and got everything loaded in about 1.5 hours. Now I am not looking to load allot really fast. I want good ammo at a faster rate than I am loading now. This press is doing it.

The ammo loaded is great looking stuff. The dies didn't move, the powder measure was constant, and it wasn't as jerky as the youtube videos showed it.

Now, I do wish I could see if there is a primer ready to go in station two. I don't like not being able to look into station three and seeing if the powder is correct. That is about it. Oh, and the handle is placed on the press' center line. WTH? This causes me to side saddle to the left. But I am able to still add brass and bullets with no problems.

Its kind of cramp, but for me, its the nature of the 9mm. Small bullets and brass. Gives me fits even on the Classic Turret Press. If using a larger bullet and brass, I don't see a problem.

So I like it! at $375, do I think it is worth it? Yes I do.

Jerry

W.R.Buchanan
12-28-2014, 02:09 PM
Lefty: mount the press on the right side of your bench. That way you won't run into the wall while side stepping it. :bigsmyl2: also look for some kind of a light you can aim at the left side of the machine. It helps to be able to see what you're doing.

These are great little machines, and the more you use it the more you will appreciate the feel of it and how it functions.

Randy

Lefty Red
12-28-2014, 07:22 PM
Well, I shot about 100 rounds at the range today, loaded from the SD. No FTF or FTE. :)
http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14/12/28/58f7834a1c8427d82e68d7409d6ba3b1.jpg

VHoward
12-28-2014, 07:51 PM
Looking good. I really like the Inline Fabrication Ultramounts. Sturdy and available in the size you want. I have the size between the micro and full size with the quick change plates so I can switch presses depending on what I want to do. Inline will also make you a custom heighth mount if you ask. Might cost a little extra.

WILDEBILL308
12-28-2014, 08:07 PM
Glad you like the sqare deal I now have 4 of them. I leave mine set up in .45, 9mm, 44mag, 38specal.
Bill

FISH4BUGS
12-28-2014, 09:06 PM
I have used the 550b, it is a great press! I just don't want to pay that kind of money.
Jerry
Jerry:
You know, man, there are times when you have to bite the bullet (as it were:bigsmyl2:) and pay the going rate for a piece of fine equipment. It was kind of like my taking my SO to the jewelry store and saying "...OK...pick what you want. Your budget is X dollars" and after two days of shopping this store hard and looking at everything that interested her, she found the one and only necklace for X+ $250. I didn't want to pay that but said OK. I have not regretted it once since.
The 550 (and probably more so Dillon's company) is a wonderful piece of equipment. I just set up for 223 and loaded in excess of 3000 rounds over a week. Set it up and go to town. I'll change over to 44 mag and load a bunch of 240gr cast lighter loads, maybe 1000. That is how I load - manic sessions over a week or more.
I know it is easy to spend other people's money, but in this case you really SHOULD go with the Dillon. Save a little more and go for it. Not only is it a great piece of equipment, their no BS warranty is just that. I have virtually rebuilt this press over 25 years and it has not cost me a penny.
Please believe me on this one.

Lefty Red
12-28-2014, 10:20 PM
Jerry:
You know, man, there are times when you have to bite the bullet (as it were:bigsmyl2:) and pay the going rate for a piece of fine equipment. It was kind of like my taking my SO to the jewelry store and saying "...OK...pick what you want. Your budget is X dollars" and after two days of shopping this store hard and looking at everything that interested her, she found the one and only necklace for X+ $250. I didn't want to pay that but said OK. I have not regretted it once since.
The 550 (and probably more so Dillon's company) is a wonderful piece of equipment. I just set up for 223 and loaded in excess of 3000 rounds over a week. Set it up and go to town. I'll change over to 44 mag and load a bunch of 240gr cast lighter loads, maybe 1000. That is how I load - manic sessions over a week or more.
I know it is easy to spend other people's money, but in this case you really SHOULD go with the Dillon. Save a little more and go for it. Not only is it a great piece of equipment, their no BS warranty is just that. I have virtually rebuilt this press over 25 years and it has not cost me a penny.
Please believe me on this one.

I completely agree Fish! I got the SD over the 550B because I knew I wan'ted a dedicated press for 9mm. I was willing to give up versitility for production. Now to save up for one in 45ACP! :)

As for SO, yep they get what they want! I can spend on others allot easier than spending money for myself. But ex-wife is breaking of that habit. :)

Jerry

Lefty Red
12-28-2014, 10:24 PM
Looking good. I really like the Inline Fabrication Ultramounts. Sturdy and available in the size you want. I have the size between the micro and full size with the quick change plates so I can switch presses depending on what I want to do. Inline will also make you a custom heighth mount if you ask. Might cost a little extra.

Yep, Dan makes some good stuff! And like you said, once you buy the mount you can just swap out the top plates. I like the Mirco Mount due to the overhang. I can empty the spent primer cup easier.

Jerry

Lefty Red
12-28-2014, 10:30 PM
Glad you like the sqare deal I now have 4 of them. I leave mine set up in .45, 9mm, 44mag, 38specal.
Bill

I can see why! I am going to save up for one in 45ACP now!

Alvarez Kelly
12-28-2014, 11:07 PM
I can see why! I am going to save up for one in 45ACP now!

Watch out... pretty soon you will bleed blue if you get cut :-)

Lefty Red
12-28-2014, 11:17 PM
watch out... Pretty soon you will bleed blue if you get cut :-)

lol!!!

prsman23
12-29-2014, 01:38 AM
Watch out... pretty soon you will bleed blue if you get cut :-)

Let's go blues!

But true. Started with the 550. Picked up a sd from Alvarez Kelly. It's a bad habit.

Lefty Red
01-01-2015, 10:27 PM
Just an update on the conversion to being a Blue Blood.......

Well I loaded up 2300 rounds of 9mm in about four days! Yes, you read that right, 2300. 1000 rounds of Extreme Bullets 124 grain plated RNs, 1000 rounds of 126 grain Laser Casted Hard Casted (damn things are hard!), and 300 of some XTPs I had "laying" around. I had to switch the roller handle from right to left a couple of times to give my arms a break! But I actually didn't feel like I loaded that many. I sure as Hades didn't think I had that many pieces of 9mm brass laying around! And sad to say I have about three times that cleaned and in gallon bags sorted by head stamps ready to go!

So what about the thing little quirks that all progressives have? Does the SD have them. Yes, are at least this is my take on them after reloading.
1) Primer feed is the weak link to all progressives. I think the RCBS Pro has the right idea with the strips. Everyone else uses the primer tubes. And the SD primer feeder is ok, but not the best. I find that if I don't let it get below 10 primers before refilling, then way less jams or flipped primers. I put a piece to tape on the low primer warning rod (blue of course), to set off the buzzer before they get that low. I think if there was a way to see if a primer was ready at the 2nd station would help allot. But I got less than 40 not seated or not properly seated primer from the whole batch. And most of them was from the first 500 or so. So I will chalk that up to me not knowing the "feel" of the seater and operator error. I did noticed WW primers were not the easiest to seat, even in WW brass! Weird. CCI was the most constant.
2)Can of canned air or "duster in a can" helped out with the powder spills. Kept everything moving smoothly.

That is about all the complaints/moans/gripes I have. I mean I pulled the press' handle 2303 times and got 2300 completed rounds. Minus 40 that had to be pulled and then re ran. So add 43 more pulls for sake of honesty. Now compare that to my Lee Classic Turret Press. 9,200 pulls of the handle would be required! But I am comparing apples to oranges. The SD is made for high output of a single caliber and single load. I use the LEE for small batches of <100 and developing up a load for a weapon. But so glad I have the option to get a factory like production and factory like quality from my ammo from the Dillon.

Ok, I bought extra toolheads and conversion kits for 38 and 45ACP. I don't have nearly as many pieces of brass for those calibers as I have for the 9mm, but sure I won't have a empty piece by the end of the weekend. :)

Jerry

VHoward
01-02-2015, 12:15 AM
I have found that putting a fired 45acp case on top of the primer follower rod so it fits like a sleeve over it gives the rod enough weight to prevent problems with feeding primers to the slide when they get low. I started doing that when I had my Square Deal b and do it with my XL650.

Lefty Red
01-11-2015, 05:46 AM
I have found that putting a fired 45acp case on top of the primer follower rod so it fits like a sleeve over it gives the rod enough weight to prevent problems with feeding primers to the slide when they get low. I started doing that when I had my Square Deal b and do it with my XL650.

Thank you! That helped out allot!

Well, a quick update.........
I did my first caliber swap over. First time on any progressive. I have over 2,500 rounds of 9mm loaded up and that should last me for a bit! Hey, what can I say? Extreme Bullets wants to keep putting them on sale, and I will buy them.
Anyways, I swapped over to 45ACP. Took about 45 minutes, had to setup and adjust everything. Swapped out primer feed system to large primers. No mess ups. Shouldn't take more than 15 mintues to swap back since everything to already adjusted for 9mm. Due need to look for another powder measure, for less adjusting.

All stays set! No fiddling after I get it tuned in.

Also the larger caliber really sped up my time and made handing the brass and bullets easier.

Jerry

IllinoisCoyoteHunter
01-11-2015, 08:24 AM
I bet with a couple months you pick up another blue press... :groner:

Lefty Red
01-11-2015, 05:36 PM
I bet with a couple months you pick up another blue press... :groner:

Yeah, I am thinking my tax return is going to a 650 setup in 9mm and left set up. :)
Then a 550 for 44 and 357 magnums...........
This is going to get expensive, but everyone that has shot this ammo has been impressed. No varies from round to round. When you set the dies, they are set.

Jerry

VHoward
01-11-2015, 06:46 PM
Be aware that the XL650's auto indexing is a little aggressive for the 9mm. It tends to flip powder out of the cases. It has nothing to do with how fast you operate the handle, but how much pressure the detent ball puts on the shell plate. There are some who claim to have solved that by putting a thrust bearing on top of the shell plate under the bolt head. They say that smoths it out. I have done that and can tell you it does nothing. I have had better luck toning the index snap down by going with a plastic detent ball and trimming the detent spring shorter.

HATCH
01-11-2015, 07:32 PM
I can tell you that its a time saver to just load those three on the 650.
I plan to slowly move most over to the 650.
Leaving 22 hornet and 9*18 as the lone 550