PDA

View Full Version : How to bell cases w/ Dillon .38 Spcl dies?

NuJudge
09-24-2005, 06:07 PM
I'm using them in a single station press. Very nice 7/8 x 14 sizer, ingeneous seater, then crimper. No 'bell' function on any of them that I can see. Is that supposed to happen with a separately purchased 'powder through expander' die?

CDD [smilie=b:

imashooter2
09-24-2005, 06:37 PM
Dillon dies are made to work with their progressive presses... the expander is part of the caliber conversion. You're hosed.

45nut
09-24-2005, 07:43 PM
I agree on the lack of a belling feature on the Dillon dies,,how ever he is not quite "hosed" here. If as he say's he needs just a slight bell on the cases,I have come up with a solution.
Put your cases mouth up in your loading block as normal and grab a medium large steel punch,drop it into the case. As the punch has a slight taper you can vary the height of the drop to get the bell on your case mouth you want. I used this very way to bell cases many times,it is not fast,but with practice you can get very satisfactory results.

imashooter2
09-25-2005, 07:41 PM
Well, that would certainly stop gap a few pieces to get me shooting on a Saturday, but I believe I would invest $9 in a Lee expander die for the long term.

Ken O
09-25-2005, 09:22 PM
Yep, the expader is on the powder drop.