PDA

View Full Version : Archery gift ideas?

starmac
12-21-2014, 07:47 PM
I know some of you guys are into archery too, so I have a question.
My DIL has got into and getting more into archery. My son got her set up with a compound bow, case arrows, etc to get started last christmas. She took to it pretty well, so I would like to add to it this year. I picked up a target, but need more ideas. I know arrows, makes sense,but I have no idea what her length of pull is, cuz she is short. lol

Last week she traded her carry piece for him a nice bow setup package, claims she came out way on top for the trade, so I know she needs a new carry piece, but it is a little short notice for that one. lol

kbstenberg
12-21-2014, 07:57 PM
Camo clothing is also nice. Gift card to the nearest sporting store.

dragon813gt
12-21-2014, 08:04 PM
Don't know what the budget is but a rangefinder is a good option. Range is a lot more critical w/ archery. A lot of things are going to be to personal to recommend.

starmac
12-21-2014, 08:05 PM
Pondering the gift card, but I never liked going that route. lol

I delivered a cnc machine to an outfit south of Salt Lake City that made several brands of broadheads. The owner gave me probably 100 or more new broadheads of various kinds he manufactured, I gave them all away long ago, now wish I had kept some. lol

obssd1958
12-21-2014, 08:34 PM
Broadheads and nocks are personal decisions, and in some cases legislated (think expanding broadheads and lighted nocks) but the rangefinder is a great idea. Another small but essential piece of archery gear, is some way to monitor wind direction, so maybe a talc puffer would be a good idea.
Good, compact optics, are another necessity for making the hunt more productive.

I'm sure there are more good ideas out there!

altheating
12-21-2014, 08:39 PM
A safety harness is a must if she is going to hunt from a stand.

bdicki
12-21-2014, 08:41 PM
Fletching jig and feathers or vanes which ever she uses with the corresponding glue. Carbon arrows hold up better than the fletching.
http://www.lancasterarchery.com/jojan-hf-60-helical-multi-fletcher.html

dakotashooter2
12-21-2014, 08:45 PM
Extra strings can come in handy if you can find out what kind of bow she has. Judo tips are nice for shooting at small game and pests.

mozeppa
12-21-2014, 08:57 PM
release aids ....decent sights....

SeabeeMan
12-21-2014, 09:06 PM
I'll second a good harness. Getting into the crappy harness that came with my stands probably kept me out of the woods on a few occasions. I bought a nicer harness and it goes on underneath all the heavy gear and I forget it is there.

RED333
12-21-2014, 10:05 PM
There is a guy at work that shoots compilation, he makes his arrows.
Buys, cut to length, puts on the fletching, nocks, and tips.
Any of the above are good ideas.

starmac
12-21-2014, 10:45 PM
OK I just got back from the archery section at sportsmans, which they have a pretty good one and keep a bow mechanic on duty also.
With the babies, I am thinking she will not actually be able to hunt for a couple more years, unless she can talk Grandma into babysitting a few days at a time. So since she is basically new and will be in the practicing,learning and target shooting stage for a couple more years, I didn't feel she would need harnesses, camo, range finders, etc at this stage of the game, though all were and are good suggestions. She is also new enough that she will not have prefferences for nocks and broadheads anyway, or at least I don't figure she does.

So with that in mind, this is what I got. (DON"T LAUGH)
I already had (garage sale) a bitzenburger professional fletchmaster tool, and a box with bags of powder which I was told it was used in arrow making, but forgot what for and 50 or so notches. I picked this up because it was CHEAP back during the summer and was going to send it to a member, but never got around to it.

A dozen cut to fit carbon arrows. (I don't have a clue what her draw length is and didn't want to ask)
Packages of inserts
packages of field tips, they didn't have what I used to call target points.
Different glues for fletching and inserts, notches, etc
bow string wax
arrow puller
A pretty neat casegaurd box, with compartments to store and organize everything in.
I am sure she will have to add to this to make arrows, but this should be a head start maybe.
I lucked out, as they had the arrows for half price.

Oh yea, and a raffle ticket from the friends of nra in her name, if she wins she can replace her carry piece. lol

RED333
12-21-2014, 10:58 PM
Ya done good,real good.

dk17hmr
12-21-2014, 11:08 PM
I shoot competitively as well as hunt with my bows. The best investment I have ever made in way of gear, not counting my bows/accessories is this:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Arizona-E-Z-Fletch-Mini/727336.uts?productVariantId=1621731&srccode=cii_17588969&cpncode=42-17763996-2&WT.tsrc=CSE&WT.mc_id=GoogleProductAds&WT.z_mc_id1=03004196&rid=20

I shoot 2" blazer vanes on my carbon arrows for my Compounds and I can do a half dozen arrows very quick and have extremely accurate arrows. I also have replacement arms for my jig that takes up to 5.5" feathers since I shoot carbons out of my recurves as well I make some very nice fletched arrows for the stick bows.....I know I should shoot wood out of the stick bows but I don't have the time and GoldTip has a Traditional shaft that is almost indestructible that I can get up to the 10-15gr per inch my 65 pound bow likes.

clintsfolly
12-21-2014, 11:26 PM
The Bitzenburger is a great tool a friend owns the company and I used to work for his brother at Anderson archery. Tom Nelson was my boss. My jig is a 40yrs old and have done many arrows and will for another 40yrs. You done good!! Clint

starmac
12-21-2014, 11:32 PM
They had those at sportsmans, I looked at them, but I already had the bitzemburger. I don't have a clue how fast or well it works, but it is what she is getting. lol
Those easy fletch sure looks like it would be a simple job though.

How do you like the gold tip arrows for use with a compound, the bow tech told me they were rated up to 70 pounds if cut to 27 in.
They were fairly cheap, so I figured they would work for target arrows to learn with at least.

freebullet
12-21-2014, 11:53 PM
Holy cow she traded her carry gun. Sounds like yall need to pool together and get her a sig p238 or p938.

starmac
12-22-2014, 12:03 AM
Belive you me, as soon as she traded it, she called anrd told me to be on the lookout, as she knows I run across some good deals. lol
The only reason she traded it was to get my son, her husband the bow package for christmas, without haveing to explain what she spent that much money on. lol

hithard
12-22-2014, 12:15 AM
A few blunts to shoot squirrels and birds with would be good, Pink fletching is one of the best colors to go with as you will be hard pressed to find this color outdoors.

starmac
12-22-2014, 12:42 AM
LOL I didn't buy her any fletching yet, prefferring to let her pick the colors, but I would give you 2 tp 1 odds for a dollar to a busted donut hole, PINK it will be for 2 reasons. First, that is HER color, and second, it will keep my son from useing up her fletching. lol

clintsfolly
12-22-2014, 07:34 AM
One you learn how the Bitz is as fast as the glue you use will dry. Anderson's had a rotating table with 36 jigs and at one time made all of Bear Archery arrows plus there's. Clint

Lloyd Smale
12-22-2014, 10:04 AM
steal one of her existing arrows and take it to the nearest archery shop and they can figure out the spline and length for you. You can never have to many arrows. especially for a beginner. they tend to get damaged and lost

dk17hmr
12-23-2014, 02:21 PM
.....How do you like the gold tip arrows for use with a compound, the bow tech told me they were rated up to 70 pounds if cut to 27 in.....

Truthfully I don't shoot expensive shafts in my compounds. I have shot Cabelas brand shafts for several years and really like them.....they aren't the most expensive shafts in the world so I don't feel bad small game hunting with them. One thing I have found is my bow likes arrows on the heavy side so I build my arrows with brass inserts and weight tubes a 550gr total weight arrow with a Stinger BuzzCut on the front end at 290fps makes for an amazing hunting arrow.

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Hunting/Archery/Arrows-Shafts/Carbon%7C/pc/104791680/c/104693580/sc/104192280/i/103856580/Cabelas-Stalker-Xtreme-Shafts/1354186.uts?destination=%2Fcatalog%2Fbrowse%2Fcarb on%2Fcabelas%2F_%2FN-1100022%2B1000002949%2FNe-1000002949%2FNs-CATEGORY_SEQ_103856580%3FWTz_l%3DUnknown%253Bcat10 4192280%26WTz_st%3DGuidedNav%26WTz_stype%3DGNU&WTz_l=Unknown%3Bcat104192280%3Bcat103856580

starmac
12-23-2014, 03:20 PM
Well I probably messed up. I never thought about different weight inserts, and everything is wrapped now, but I know the ones I bought are aluminum. The gold tip shafts I bought come in a white (generic) bov, and iirc all that was on it was gold tip 400, if that makes sense. They were on sale for close to half price, probably a reason. lol

bdicki
12-23-2014, 04:25 PM
The 400 refers to the spine of the arrow, stiffness if you will. they should be fine. maybe a little heavy depending on draw weight and length of pull.
http://www.goldtip.com/arrowcontent.aspx?page=chart
http://www.huntersfriend.com/carbon_arrows/hunting_arrows_spine_chart_by_deflection.htm

richhodg66
12-23-2014, 04:33 PM
I've always shot and hunted with recurves and long bows so not much help where the actual bow equipment is concerned. The suggestion for tree stand stuff is a good one. I much prefer to hunt from one, so a good portable stand, or many tree steps (you can never have too many) or a good harness are all good things. Pop up ground blinds are good too, particularly if hunting with kids.

Because a lot of bow seasons start earlier than firearms seasons, and because deer can smell any kind of bug repellent, I started using these Thermo Cell things a few years ago and like them very much. They repel bugs and don't seem to send out any scent at all, great things if you need to stay still and quiet during mosquito season.

Boyscout
12-23-2014, 05:29 PM
A good safety rope to use going up and down the tree while staying attached is good. I love my HSS vest and rope with prussic knot. I use the 8 ft. version but the longer 25-30 ft would be good with a lock on.

starmac
12-27-2014, 12:54 AM
Well, she really liked the stuff. She had the kids to contend with, so was slower unwrapping presants than I was handing them out. When she openned the arrows, she told her old man (my son) that now he had to get her a target, not realizing the huge box she hadn't openned was a target. lol
My daughter drove out to their place later on that night, and they had both vehicles with the headlights pointing out back, the target set up, and shooting the bows. lol