PDA

View Full Version : Got a bit fired up.

GoodOlBoy
12-21-2014, 03:07 PM
I got a bit fired up with somebody on chat the other night. You know who you are. I would like to apologize for how tone I took might have been interpreted, but not for the point I was trying to make.

What it boils down to is the dismissive attitude about "junk" 22 LR shells. The other person in the discussion took the attitude that if a singular website didn't use a certain brand and type of 22 (Remington golden bullet 22s in this case) in their indoor tests using a multi-thousand dollar rifle and scope combination in a no air movement indoor range then they were junk. No matter what they shot "shotgun" patterns at X meters. I was assured, no matter what my experience with them was, they were junk. Plain and simple. They didn't cost $25 and up per 50 so they were obviously worthless. So let me explain it this way, and see if I can explain my situation.

I use a 22 to put meat on the table (legal game with this cartridge only I am not proposing poaching). I have several 22 rifles as many folks do. No two of my 22s like the same ammunition. Period. Doesn't matter how much the round costs, or doesn't cost. Some ammo my guns like. Some they don't.

Most examples are of what my rifles shoot with me free standing and hunting.

Example #1 Ruger 10/22 factory rifle. About 10 years old. Iron sites. With this little rifle and Remington Golden bullet 22s I can shoot a nickle at 20 yards just about every time. That's minute of squirrel and rabbit. No other ammo is as accurate in this rifle. Doesn't matter how cheap, or how expensive, I have tried a good portion of them and the standard old BULK Golden bullet 22 LRs is what it likes. I tried a box of MUCH more expensive "Match" grade ammo earlier this year because it was all I could get (talking 50 cents a round, won't mention brand because I don't need to dismiss it as "junk"). I couldn't have hit a dollar bill at the same range with them. I know two other Ruger 10/22 owners who have the SAME results as I do. I know one other who can't get a golden bullet to group come heck or high water.

Example #2 Marlin Model 60 factory rifle. With a Simmons 4x32 Scope. This little rifle 25+ year old rifle will shoot CCI Stingers OK. About a quarter size or so group at 25 yards. With Aguila subsonic solid points it shoots a hair tighter. It will not group CCI Velocitors, Remington anything, Federal lightning, or Winchester anything (except the OLD Winchester Super X white box. The newer super X it won't shoot either) etc. There was an "off" brand of 22s from gander mountain a few years back that came in a "old west" style paper box that the rifle shot better than anything else. Lost the boxes, wish I knew what the heck they were (gander mountain doesn't have them any more) because I took many many little pot filling critters with them.

Example #3 A truly ancient and abused Winchester model 67 single shot. Iron sites. Barrel has a crown and bend issue that causes it to shoot to the right no matter what you do. This will be fixed eventually. Even with the pitted crown and slightly off barrel it will shoot 90% of shorts (Remington CCI etc) in a DIME sized group one inch right at 20 yards if I am braced against a tree. It will shoot a FEW subsonics and longs in about a quarter sized group. ANYTHING "Modern" and "Fast" you are better off throwing downrange a handful at a time.

What does this mean? Does it mean the brands my guns don't like are junk? Or does it mean my guns simply don't like them?

It means my guns don't like them. Once upon a time I believed in "junk" ammo. I really thought that companies just poured out cruddy ammo and people who would "spray and pray" bought it because they didn't know any better. Over time I have found just about every brand and type of ammo SOMEBODY SOMEWHERE had good luck with in their guns. Some of the brands I even despised and hated as junk I found were quite popular right here on cast boolits.

The long and short of it is this. I am not trying to invalidate your match grade multi-thousand dollar setup target rifles. If that is what you are in to, and it makes you happy more power to you. However I also won't have my rifles and ammo that I used to feed my family dismissed out of hand because some site who is PAID (either in money or free whatever) to do testing didn't test my brand, or ran it down because a SINGLE rifle didn't like the ammo. In fact if you tell me your brand worked for you I will defend your brand as working in your experience. Why? Because all our experiences are different. None of them are completely invalid in and of themselves. But we can make them invalid in the way we approach it.

Think about it this way. I know people who claim just about any caliber rifle, from 17 to 30-30 to 30-06 to 50 bmg and back, are "junk" guns/calibers. And I know people who use them better than I will ever be able to.

God Bless.

GoodOlBoy

richhodg66
12-21-2014, 03:21 PM
Who cares what someone else's opinion is? If you like it, so be it.

I'm going deer hunting this afternoon for the last day of the Fort Riley season. Rifle to be carried; Savage 340 (Sears named, but a 340). I asked about them when I was a kid and still being made, Dad kinda sneered at them for being el cheapos, but I really like that little rifle, in spite of the fact that I have much higher end ones, which I like too. I'd be hard pressed to say for sure that (at least under th conditions I usually hunt) any of them ar ereally better tools for the task than that 340 and many of them aren't as good for varous reasons.

Use what works for you. Life is too short to look for problems that aren't there.

calaloo
12-21-2014, 04:13 PM
A loooong time ago I bought my son and I a Ruger 10-22 each. He immediately started asking for one of the bull barrels, so at a gun show we got a Butler barrel and a stock to fit it. When we got it converted and with a Simmons scope mounted he started sighting it in with Thunderbolts. At 50 feet he was basically printing a one hole group. I went into the house to get some "good" ammo to see what it would really do.... no difference. That rifle would really shoot and still will. Of course I bought me the same setup but mine just would not shoot as well as his.

historicfirearms
12-21-2014, 04:20 PM
The thing I have had problems with the Golden Bullets is their misfire rate. Accuracy seems ok in most of my guns but the percent of misfires is near 10%. That's unacceptable even for hunting ammo.

jsizemore
12-21-2014, 05:09 PM
Aren't the Golden Bullets plated? I don't know anybody with a mega buck 22 willing to run plated through their gun.

I have a buddy that loves the Golden Bullet for 3 gun practice with his son and trades me 711B and CMP Remington for all the Golden Bullets I can find. I'm one of the snobs that won't run Golden Bullets through my Anschutz or Suhl.

GoodOlBoy
12-21-2014, 06:12 PM
I have heard other folks mention a misfire rate with the golden bullets, but honestly it has never happened to me. I don't know if I am just lucky or what. Now Federal lightnings on the other hand? Rare I get a misfire on them, BUT I have had ALOT of them that just went.... pop..... and I stopped and unloaded and checked my barrel afterwards.

GoodOlBoy

georgerkahn
12-21-2014, 08:39 PM
I love, and can relate to your post! A few years back, our entire pistol team grouped together to "upgrade" to CCR Pistol ammo for competition; hey -- I, and probably most others -- still have a few boxes of the stuff. At least my S&W 41 did BETTER with two or three different flavors of much more readily available and inexpensive ammunition. You are, imho, inded correct!
BEST!
georgerkahn

Jack Stanley
12-21-2014, 09:23 PM
I learned a long time ago the rifle would let me know what it liked ...... and didn't . Forty years ago it was Federal I had a high misfire rate with more recently it has been Thunderduds that would fire trying in four different position of the rim . My most recent "Golden" bullets are about ten years old and work just fine . Other than that the rest of them work reasonably well for me .

Jack

aspangler
12-21-2014, 09:50 PM
You sir are correct as any IRA 50-50 or ARA shooter will attest to. Very few guns will shoot just anything you feed them and they (IMO), are worth their weight in gold. I Have a 10-22 that likes the Winchester M22, and two old Remington 41 Targetmasters that each like something different. My Target rifle likes the old Eley Club or the Wolf Match Rifle. Each rifle is a rule unto its self. Even centerfire rifles rarely shoot the same ammo the same. That is why we all reload and work up loads for each gun.

fast ronnie
12-21-2014, 11:16 PM
I've had multiple failure to fire with the golden tub, too. We use what we can get. That was all I could get for my grandsons to shoot an Appleseed event. Probably half a dozen in 5 - 6 hundred rounds. Will I throw them away? ARE YOU KIDDING? No, they may not be the greatest, but they got my grandsons, two daughters, and my wife through the Appleseed, and three of them qualified for the CMP program. (My wife loves her new Garand!)

nagantguy
12-21-2014, 11:32 PM
Good old boy, fell your point and agree, cheap, expensive foreign domestic old or shiny new each rifle especially .22 lr is a rule onto itself, feedem what they like!!!!!! And please don't get angery but in the MI CPL classes I teach we have a high failuer rate with the rem Golden's and that is with house guns Brownings and rugers and guns people bring. Everyone starts with a .22 in these classes. When they fire they are good as the next brand but lots of sqibs and duds . and we all.can get testy now and again, I know your a nice and friendly fellow. You said your piece respectfully and said ya didn't mean to hurt anyone's feelings; good in my book.

GoodOlBoy
12-21-2014, 11:53 PM
I notice a trend here in the golden bullet misfires. Everybody mentions the buckets. We haven't been able to get the buckets for YEARS, but we do find the bulk 500 boxes on RARE occasion, and more often the 100round slide top boxes. I wonder if the bucket of golden bullets could be them bulk selling culls?

Odd that that seems to be where so many are getting misfires from....

GoodOlBoy

tazman
12-22-2014, 11:45 PM
You sir are correct as any IRA 50-50 or ARA shooter will attest to. Very few guns will shoot just anything you feed them and they (IMO), are worth their weight in gold. I Have a 10-22 that likes the Winchester M22, and two old Remington 41 Targetmasters that each like something different. My Target rifle likes the old Eley Club or the Wolf Match Rifle. Each rifle is a rule unto its self. Even centerfire rifles rarely shoot the same ammo the same. That is why we all reload and work up loads for each gun.

Very true. I just happen to have one of those shoot anything rifles. It shoots minute of squirrel's head to 50 yards with anything I have ever run through it and I have been feeding it ammo for 50 years now.
It is a old Winchester model 72A tubular magazine bolt action. I have no idea how many hundreds of squirrels it has taken over the years. I used it for that purpose again this year.

dtknowles
12-23-2014, 12:55 AM
I notice a trend here in the golden bullet misfires. Everybody mentions the buckets. We haven't been able to get the buckets for YEARS, but we do find the bulk 500 boxes on RARE occasion, and more often the 100round slide top boxes. I wonder if the bucket of golden bullets could be them bulk selling culls?

GoodOlBoy

This is just my thinking but I think that bulk packed .22 ammo has more misfires and that is because the primer compound separates from the rim due to the impacts to the rims during transportation or worse when people shake those bulk packs. I have broken down some duds and the priming compound came out with the powder, I did find one dud that never had any priming compound.

Tim

daniel lawecki
12-23-2014, 07:14 AM
When ammo such as 22's being produced at warp speed you'll have bad quality. Like what was said earier in the thread I use my for plinking'

HangFireW8
12-23-2014, 03:25 PM
Use what works for you and your guns, nowadays, add to that: what you can find.

Between 15 and 20 years ago I cronographed all the major brand bulk and brick packs. At that time Remingtons of all types had a high failure rate and the largest velocity spread. I stopped shooting Rems altogether when a blooper Tbolt skimmed the top of my crony.

The only other brand where I had extreme velocity variance problems was PMC.

I'm glad to hear that quality has improved. Remington is a great American name and I hope this season of high sales volume helps them dig out of their debt problem.

At some point if availability gets better I'll do another crono survey of the market. If prices and availability stay crazy, I won't bother.

swheeler
12-23-2014, 07:44 PM

GoodOlBoy

GOB they are 550 round boxes aren't they?

swheeler
12-23-2014, 08:00 PM
http://i249.photobucket.com/albums/gg234/kmw3291/goldenbullet5_zps1e40c837.jpg (http://s249.photobucket.com/user/kmw3291/media/goldenbullet5_zps1e40c837.jpg.html)

GoodOlBoy
12-23-2014, 08:05 PM
Nope. The ones we find usually open on the side of the box and the box lays flat (more of a square) lemme see if I can find one of mine to show you.

GoodOlBoy

GoodOlBoy
12-23-2014, 08:15 PM
Alright sooooo I was wrong on the count. Yes the boxes I have are in order 100rd slide top. 225 rd side open. 525rd side open. 550rd top/end open.

I didn't include the golden bullet shorts I have because they are packed away from me cleaning up my work room and would just be a PITA to get to right now.

GoodOlBoy

Alright let;s see if attachment works this time.

ubetcha
12-23-2014, 08:16 PM
Even though this is not 22 related,I was just talking to my brother the other day about a friend of his. He has a large assortment of rifles that he has won though fund raising raffles. They range from a 257weatherby to a 300win mag. But the first and foremost rifle that grabs to go hunting or shooting is his 8mm German Mauser. Just because it shoot the best for him. Even better when my brother reloads for him. It's the rifle that he is the most comfortable with .

Jack Stanley
12-23-2014, 09:50 PM
Several years ago I tested several rifles and types of ammo . I found it interesting that the boxed Blazer ammo was more accurate than the bulk pack . It wasn't a huge difference and could have just been lot number difference but the boxed was better .

Jack

wv109323
12-23-2014, 09:55 PM
I have seen some promo .22LR shoot as well as ammo that costs 5X the price. There is a lot of variation in .22LR chambers, variation in ammo dimensions and bullet diameters.
It boils down to what works for you.
I shoot bullseye and have talked to people that swear that "X" ammo would not shoot in his S&W 41 but "X" ammo was accurate.
I know a shooter that won a major major match shooting Federal Ammo that was bought atWalmart.