PDA

View Full Version : Modifying a Lee Production Pot IV?

mac266
12-20-2014, 04:52 PM
This was my first pot when I got into casting, and I found the bottom pour spout was leaky and annoying. So I bought an old Saeco. From the looks of the Saeco, it's at least 60 years old, but it works wonderfully. I've been using it for a decade with no problems.

But I keep thinking about that Lee pot that does nothing but sit under my bench and collect dust. It seems like a waste. It has about 20 pounds of lead in it, too. What I'm thinking about is draining the lead out and then removing the entire bottom pour spout mechanism. Then I'd put a screw in the hole to plug it up permanently, and use a dipper to cast with the dip method instead of bottom pour.

Has anyone ever done this? Did it work? Stay plugged without leaking?

imashooter2
12-20-2014, 05:01 PM
I've seen many threads where folks have done this with success. Some put a sheet metal screw in and call it good, some tap it and put a nut on the inside for a belt and suspenders.

LUCKYDAWG13
12-20-2014, 05:49 PM
did you clean your old pot, drain out your lead let it cool fill with water turn on let boil about 30 min add water when it gets low

dlbarr
12-20-2014, 06:09 PM
Don't know if you consider this an option, but LEE will exchange your old pot for a new one at half-price.

I just sent my IV in...those are on back order, so I ponied up an extra $17 and got the Pro 4-20 pot as an exchange.

Just a thought...

mac266
12-20-2014, 08:40 PM
Don't know if you consider this an option, but LEE will exchange your old pot for a new one at half-price.

I just sent my IV in...those are on back order, so I ponied up an extra $17 and got the Pro 4-20 pot as an exchange.

Just a thought...

That's not really an option for me. To be frank, I think the Lee pots are junk. I bought mine new and it leaked from the get-go, and from reading online it seems this is normal for that pot. Replacing it with a new one would only give me a new pot that leaks. In fact, I've only run about 40 pounds of lead through it, and it was all clean before it went in. So it's almost brand new anyway; it's just a cheap design. I just don't want to throw it away, and I don't want to mess around with the junky bottom pour valve. Based on what others have said, I'm going to give the plug a try.