PDA

View Full Version : Long loaded .32 Longs's in .32 mag

Newtire
02-17-2008, 07:32 PM
Well, I got back from the range a little while ago and have to tell you about an interesting thing that happened with some .32 Long cases that I loaded up with various loads, seating the boolit out to 1.345" for my H & R 5-shooter .32 magnum.

I loaded some identical loads in .32 mag Starline brass to the same length as the ones I loaded in Fiocci .32 Long cases I picked up last week from a guy tossing them at the range. They both shot to same point of impact. I brushed out the cylinder after shooting the Longs so as to nmot load up the magnums on top of a ring of carbon. In spite of that, a nice ring built up anyway and then an amazing thing happened. I was shooting a load of 4.4 gr. AA #5 (the amount thrown by the Lee dipper I was using) and the RCBS 32-98. When the ring of carbon built up to the point that the .32 mag's no longer would chamber, those remaining rounds loaded in the Long cases were the most accurate loads I have ever shot in any pistol. It was a ragged hole 1/2" edge to edge. Distance was 25 yds. I was using sandbags and a red dot sight. Only thing I can figure is that the ring was centering the loads in the cylinder. I am thinking I might try leaving the boolits at a .315" as cast diameter next time out and see what happens. Maybe not even size these cases. Would be interesting.

I could hardly believe it. I also had some loads made up using 3.3 gr. Hodgdon Clays with the 32-98 and they had to be shot in my Ruger as they were in the magnum cases & would not chamber in the H & R due to the carbon ring. Now I know what load to make up for a nice plinker in the Ruger. That was a nice load.

The rifle range proved to be worthwhile also as a guy there gave me 40 Wolf Gold 7.62X54 Russkie cases. Same as the ones I already have, marked "nny" and boxer primed.

racepres
02-17-2008, 07:48 PM
Good on Ya!!! Excellent news.. MV

S.R.Custom
02-17-2008, 10:36 PM
...When the ring of carbon built up to the point that the .32 mag's no longer would chamber, those remaining rounds loaded in the Long cases were the most accurate loads I have ever shot in any pistol.

I can't think of a single reason why this would be. I could understand or expect accuracy to be no worse than the magnum brass loads, but I can't imagine why they'd shoot better. :-?

But hey, you don't look a gift horse in the muzzle, right? :-D

Newtire
02-18-2008, 12:13 AM
Pretty mysterious granted! Only thing I could come up with was that maybe the boolit was being supported on the front end. Well, I am thinking I will just decap and load up these cases without sizing for next range trip.

Maybe having them get a straight start down the bore is a place to start. I picked up a couple of my slugs that washed out of the hillside after last moth's rains and noticed the rifling marks weren't the same length on all sides of the boolit which maybe means it is getting started crooked. Something to work on.

Would be cool if I could get lots better accuracy from doing some simple thing.

S.R.Custom
02-18-2008, 12:21 AM
I picked up a couple of my slugs that washed out of the hillside after last moth's rains and noticed the rifling marks weren't the same length on all sides of the boolit ...

That comes from varying heights/depths of the lands & grooves. A taller land will imprint the bullet deeper, and this shows up as a groove in the bullet that runs farther out onto the nose.

Newtire
02-18-2008, 11:31 AM
That comes from varying heights/depths of the lands & grooves. A taller land will imprint the bullet deeper, and this shows up as a groove in the bullet that runs farther out onto the nose.

Now that makes sense. Never occured to me-wouldn't be the first time that's happened.

I did find that there were no signs of gas cutting on those slugs.

Funny that a guy there was telling me about using Sweets to get that carbon out and then told me about using a Lewis lead remover. When I told him I didn't get leading, he just looked at me.... I guess most people think you have to get leading. Keeps more people from getting at the wheelweight supply.

Thanks for the tips Supermag. I'll look into this phenomenon I have created more with this pistol.