PDA

View Full Version : An hour at the scrap yard yielded...

jonp
12-20-2014, 01:45 PM
Stopped by the scrap yard on the way home and sorted through some WW. Got a bucket full. 92lbs all lead and they called it $59 even. Pretty good deal to me

Beagle333
12-20-2014, 07:40 PM
My numbers say that'll work out to about .76/lb for the finished ingots. NICE!!!!

truckerdave397
12-20-2014, 07:56 PM
Yea I picked in the old Gaylord box of wheel weight where I work about two weeks ago and I only got about 30 pounds before my back said to stop. I was amazed at how much zinc was there. Probably 75% zinc.

Vinne
12-20-2014, 08:37 PM
Sometimes the yards have some treasures and other times you get the junk.

bangerjim
12-20-2014, 11:12 PM
Don't just think WW's when going to a scrap yard! I bypass litteraly many hundreds of pounds of COWW's and go for other clean lead alloys. I have captured many hundreds of pounds of hardball in industrial castings, buckets of REAL linotype ("line of type"), 60/40 solder. PURE Sn ingots, and solder, high Sn alloys already in 1# ingots, pewter items (most of which ended up in the wife's collection!) and much more. And there is always many hundreds of pounds of pure sheet, pipe, window came and much more good clean stuff avaialbe rather than digging thru dirty filthy old WW's trying to separate the Zn and Fe out on-site!!!!!

At least that is what I find on a regular basis when I feel I need to add more lead to my collection.

good Pb hunting, whether digging it out of a berm, picking WW's up along the road, or at the scrap yard.

bangerjim

jonp
12-21-2014, 08:33 AM
I asked about other lead. They just don't get that much in anymore. I did get an 80lb chunk someone was using for a counter balance a few weeks ago.

zuke
12-21-2014, 10:05 AM
I did a delivery at a local tire shop and asked about WW and got a funny look. The guy said "be right back" and he was about 5 min later, with a 5 gallon pail of WW's! He said thank's for the help and Merry Christmas and that was it!

leadman
12-21-2014, 03:04 PM
I also have found treasures when scrounging lead at the scrap yard. I once found about #15 of lead free solder! Paid $.50 a pound for it.