PDA

View Full Version : Lee Quick trim

tomme boy
12-20-2014, 12:11 PM
I got one of these the other day as I have thousands of 308 win cases to prep. It works but it is kinda cheaply made for the cutter. The blades are made of sharpened spring steel. They are very thin and I don't see them lasting very long.

The cheapest part of it is the adjustment collar. It makes it so you can fine tune the length you want. Sort of. It can get out of alignment very easy. You have to make sure it is not off center or the cutter will lift up and down.

I got mine with the drill adapter. I was using it with my corded 3/8 drill. It works, But it is made for the use of a cordless screw driver. I am going to get a cordless drill to run it. We will see how it holds up.

bangerjim
12-20-2014, 01:20 PM
That hardened string steel is many many times harder than your softer brass cases. I will last for a long time. And you can easily buy replacments if you ever think you need to.

I have one and it works great. The collar click indexes around and is firm and tight on mine. Never moves from where I set it.

I have the Pro version that works in a single stage press. A few quick turns and the job is done. And I get upper body exercise!!!!!!! [smilie=s: I never use my "lathe-style" horizontal trimmer any longer. It is a PITA.

bangerjim

tomme boy
12-20-2014, 05:51 PM
Thats the same one I have. That adjustment collar does not hold at all on mine. It is plastic and will tip or back off and will trim the brass short. I have a bunch of shims that are used to time muzzle breaks on a 308 win. They are for a 5/8 thread muzzle break. I used these to adjust my trim length. I just bottomed out the adjuster then added shims till I got the right length. That really is the worst part of it. They could of made that out of metal and a set screw and would have worked a lot better.

Digger
12-20-2014, 08:52 PM
I have the deluxe version and have also used it with a drill motor ...
Installed it in my Hollywood senior and it works great .. , but still it can be a process in itself .
With about a couple thousand 308 LC brass to treat , trim , primer pocket swage , etc ..
Thinking about this ... someone posted elsewhere on this site .... use it with a prep center ,
Ordered two for a friend and myself ...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ULkmE79x5BU

Garyshome
12-20-2014, 09:15 PM
Looks like a good operation!

Digger
12-21-2014, 07:31 PM
apologize to the op as I digress from his subject ...
my trimmer does a good job at what it is designed for .