PDA

View Full Version : What is the best 357 Double action revolver? Opinions?

tazman
12-19-2014, 11:34 PM
I am considering getting a new(to me at least) 357 mag double action revolver. At the moment I am not concerned about what it costs or even if it is currently manufactured.
Fine if new. Fine if used.
I want opinions on the best handling, most accurate(with cast) DA revolver out there.
Single actions don't fit my hands well. I have trouble shooting them consistently. No such problem with the double actions.
I currently own a decent 357 and would like to get one of the best there is. I look at it as an investment in my future.
If a cheaper one is the best fine. I am not stuck on paying bug bucks just for a name. I want the best revolver I can get my hands on.
Opinions please.

str8wal
12-19-2014, 11:37 PM
My vote goes to the GP100, 6" barrel. Hell for stout and accurate to boot.

Love Life
12-19-2014, 11:43 PM
S&W 357 Magnum (pre model 27).

jmort
12-19-2014, 11:45 PM
+1
6" gp100

Beagle333
12-19-2014, 11:46 PM
6" GP100:Fire:

scattershot
12-19-2014, 11:49 PM
Colt,Python.

M-Tecs
12-20-2014, 12:01 AM
Strongest - Ruger or Dan Wesson
Most accurate - Colt Python or Dan Wesson
My preference for best overall are older Smith and Wesson's. I like the 19/66 for carry and the 686 or Dan Wesson 15-2 for general shooting.

Bzcraig
12-20-2014, 12:14 AM
6" GP100, never cared for Smiths but it's hard to beat a Python is #2.

daniel lawecki
12-20-2014, 12:21 AM
GP 100 one of the best guns I own.

btroj
12-20-2014, 12:21 AM
GP100 here too but I prefer a 4 inch barrel.

Artful
12-20-2014, 12:35 AM
S&W, Ruger or Dan Wesson - it depends what fit's YOU.
My experience is the most accurate ones are Dan Wesson's.
I have kept my Dan Wesson 15 and 15-2 for my 357 shooting.

mj2evans
12-20-2014, 12:44 AM
S&W is much smother than Ruger out of the box (I own both so not a knock, just fact). I like S&W 19 but 686 is much better for heavy loads. Never shot a Python and likely never will given the cost.

Mohillbilly
12-20-2014, 12:52 AM
Red Hawk or Dan Wesson , Freedom Arms would be first but is a single action . Colts are very fine too .

MT Gianni
12-20-2014, 12:52 AM
How will you use it? Pack a lot,shoot a little? Shoot at the range? Plink, hunt? I have owned S&W, DW and Ruger for me S&W triggers push the scales their way with the DW a close second for stout.

waco
12-20-2014, 01:04 AM
Colt Python
GP-100
S&W586, 686

Can,t go wrong with any of these.

Rick O'Shay
12-20-2014, 01:35 AM
I love my GP 100. Had it for many years. It has the 4" barrel.

Uncle R.
12-20-2014, 02:40 AM
The old K-Frame Smiths are awfully nice - especially the 19 and the 66. Don't know if they're the best but they're my favorites.

Uncle R.

dragonrider
12-20-2014, 02:44 AM
Another vote for 6" GP-100, won't be without mine, ever. I would also consider a S&W as second. Would never consider a Colt or a Dan Wesson, not that they aren't good shooters I just don't like them.

Three44s
12-20-2014, 03:07 AM
You know that shooting a cross section of what you might like will tell you volumes before you plunk down the hard currency.

Secondly, with most of the mentioned models, there are a lot of grip choices and in addition to that .... there are custom choices.

A gun that's close to fitting you in standard form can be sublime with a proper grip.

Like another member said, you really need to quantify what you are looking for in this gun you seek.

That will sort out some obvious bad choices and focus in a little better on what you really desire.

I will note one thing however ...... there was mention of the Redhawk .....

I own one in .44 mag and it's one VERY fine revolver! Tough as nails! But seriously in a .357 .... it's truthfully over kill by order's of magnitude.

If you want a Ruger DA you should really look at the SP 101 series for a small concealable number and the GP series for normal useage and if you want simplicity and nostalga ... without a doubt .... the Security six, speed six's etc.

With the Smith's it's a pretty large field ........ a lot of good choices.

I have a "Dan" .... it's a .41 mag ......... VERY SWEET!

If a Colt tripps your trigger then by all means. I own the above three brands and swear by them ...... never owned a Colt .......... did have the distinct honor of shooting a vintage New Service ...... that was a HOOT! Very accurate .... fixed sights and perfectly regulated!

In DA the Colts are different than a Smith or Ruger and it's said that the Dan Wesson is more like Colts in that regard.

My Dan seems to fit that senario ........... in SA however ...... mine is totaly in a class all by itself. My better put up Smiths are like "breaking glass" in SA ..... my Dan is like THINKING of breaking glass. It rivals my tuned varmint rifle triggers .... no joke!

Best regards

Three 44s

rintinglen
12-20-2014, 04:26 AM
I much prefer S&W's. I have a 4 inch 66, and a 6 inch 28. I have owned many other 357;s, in fact I have 2 Colt Pythons, but I prefer the S&W action. Without extensive work, the Ruger's are not in the same class, though they are incredibly durable. If I were picking one to be the "best", I'd say a blue steel 586. Preferably one made cerca 1988-1990.

robg
12-20-2014, 06:42 AM
s&w686 with pacmyer presentation square butt grips,fill back strap nicely and dont slip in sweaty hands.

opos
12-20-2014, 07:32 AM
GP100 with standard grips..made in the 90's...nicely broken in...Had a 686 no dash and didn't care for it so sold it off..have a number of Ruger Single Actions and GP's..just more comfortable and much more accurate with them..I load and do not have many of the concerns with loading the full size Rugers as I might with the Smiths.

GP100man
12-20-2014, 07:59 AM
I`ve tried em all , kept the GP100s & SP101s

My suggestion is to shoot 1 before purchasing any firearm , but if you shoot a GP100 be prepared to go sleepless until ya own 1 !!! LOL

I`ve concealed a 4" with good leather & belt & grips, not easy but doable.
6" is just pure range toy /hunter, I carry mine thru the woods in a chesty rig, just too cumbersome on the hip going thru the swamps.

Most are good shooters OOB ,but most owner opt to refine em a bit, as they have a modular design that`s fairly easy to work on . These Rugers respond very well & sometimes surprising to some owners by just a slight polishing ,springs & shims.

Good luck on your quest , everyone needs 1 good 357magnum revolver !!

By the way I`m not BIASED , I LIKE all RUGERS !!

GP

Here`s 2 of my GP100s , we gotta have a few pichers

http://i746.photobucket.com/albums/xx110/GP100man/102_0333.jpg (http://s746.photobucket.com/user/GP100man/media/102_0333.jpg.html)

Lloyd Smale
12-20-2014, 08:13 AM
4 inch L frame smith

RED333
12-20-2014, 08:32 AM
Dan Wesson

tazman
12-20-2014, 08:52 AM
I guess I should have stated my intended use.
The majority of it's use will be on the shooting range trying to improve my skill. It would also spend nights near the bed for personal/home defense.
I shoot 38 special loads but want the 357 for the strength and possibly the occasional magnum load.
I tend to like the balance and sight radius I get with 6 inch barrels. If I really like the gun, I would get a second one with a shorter barrel for concealed carry.
I currently shoot about 150-200 rounds a week through my revolver and another 150 or so through my autos. I am quite happy with my current autos.
My revolver is a 357, while quite accurate, is starting to show signs of coming apart. It should never loosen up with lots of 38 special loads but it seems to be doing it. Hence the different, more durable revolver.
I have never hunted with a handgun and probably never will since my eyes limit me to fairly short range with iron sights. I have never liked the feel of a revolver with an optic on it. The balance changes too much for my taste.
It needs to be accurate and utterly dependable.
That seems to be the use of a revolver for me.

dragon813gt
12-20-2014, 09:07 AM
My preference is the S&W 586/686. Plenty strong to hold up to years of full power loads. Frame size isn't to big. The sights on the current production "Classic Line" are great. It fits my hands perfectly. The lock doesn't bother me and never will. And lastly I find it's lines to be the most attractive. It's what a DA 357 is supposed to look like in my eyes.

http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa39/dragon813gt/Firearms/8FE93859-92A7-43DC-9124-4A76490DAF26-13533-0000095D41B1B15F-1.jpg (http://s198.photobucket.com/user/dragon813gt/media/Firearms/8FE93859-92A7-43DC-9124-4A76490DAF26-13533-0000095D41B1B15F-1.jpg.html)

dg31872
12-20-2014, 09:13 AM
Not trying to hijack the thread, but GP100man, what is the other cartridge you have in the speedloaders? I see five swc and then something that I am not sure what it is? Birdshot?

NC_JEFF
12-20-2014, 09:28 AM
S&W K frame for me. If its gonna be a cast shooter your never going to stress the frame and I fall in love with the feel of the trigger every time I take mine out. I carried a model 66 everywhere I went for years, 6" barrel. I would have said go with the 686 because a guy showed up with one once and beat me bullseye match but he was shooting full power j-word bullets. I worked on a load for a Taurus I had at the time (Smith 66 copy but with target trigger and sights) and was able to best him from that point on. I have since been happier with the Smith after giving it a little needed work on its load. I have tried the same with a Dan Wesson but it never got it to shoot as well as my model 66. I always seemed to do better with 158 gr SWC's than with any other boolit. There were two regulars that always bested me in tightest group style matches and both of them were shooting k rame Smith & Wessons. I always kept that Smith loaded with 125gr Gold Dots for defense purposes. I've never had a revolver I liked more than that 66.
Every revolver mentioned in this post is a fine weapon. You'll like whichever you choose as long as you shoot it often, shoot like you mean it and shoot with a purpose. I've talked way too much here, I just have a passion for 357 DA revolvers pushing cast boolits. I'm done

JD

fishhawk
12-20-2014, 09:35 AM
The best? Well as you can see the best for one may not be the best for some one else along with every thing else that gets asked here "for the best" The only way your going to come up with the best FOR YOU is to try as many different ones you can.

LUCKYDAWG13
12-20-2014, 09:57 AM
if for CC a Ruger sp 101 3" barrel. other use range / hunting / HD cant go wrong with a 686

Love Life
12-20-2014, 10:23 AM
S&W model 28. Bought cheap and then shipped to Mr. Bruce Warren in Michigan for his ultimate duty tune package.

I have fired quite a bit of rounds through this gun, and was my faithful companion many, many, many times as I roamed the mountains in search of the elusive gold flake and adventure.

Accuracy has been good for me. I shoot from standing and sitting positions with no bench or rest as that is how I'll more than likely find myself shooting if I ever HAVE to shoot.

15 yds 50 shot warm up followed by 25 yd targets. That dispersion is me as when I have rested the gun, it has shot mo' better.

shooting on a shoestring
12-20-2014, 10:24 AM
I'll offer my three "Best" choices.

For pure shooting joy, a Model 19 from early 70s. Mine has been with me since the middle 70s. 6 inch, deep rich bluing, SA trigger best ever, DA perfect, dimensions perfect. It's moved mountains of wheel weights through little groups. Wonderful gun.

My most carried 357 is a SP101 2.25". The SS means no worries about fingerprints going permanent. I don't sweat sweating on it. It wears Hogues. DA is surprisingly good. SA is fine. Runs wadcutters right at 1300 fps. Very useful gun. A formidable firearm for abominable occasions.

A early GP100 4" SS competes for top standing with both of the previous. It often rides concealed comfortably in a shoulder rig. It graces my bedside more than my other choices. It's loaded into 1500 fps territory. Its the epitome of power in a defensive handgun.

A man ought to have at least three "Best" .357s. There might be room for more.

kweidner
12-20-2014, 10:44 AM
Another for the Dan Wesson. I would not part with either of my Dan's ever. Might go with me to the next life. That's how much I think of them.

here is a group at 25 yds with my 41 mag when load testing. iron sights 6"

Petrol & Powder
12-20-2014, 10:59 AM
OK, now that tazman has laid out some additional criteria (mostly range work, mostly 38 Special, some night stand duty and a clear order for strength), I'll toss my suggestions in the hat:

The GP-100 and L-framed S&W's (686,586, etc.) are both very strong (with a slight edge going to the GP-100) and clearly well suited for .357 magnum loads. They both have well deserved reputations for outstanding accuracy. A N-frame Smith such as a model 27 or 28 would be capable as well but heavy for the caliber and likely on the pricey side for a good example.
A full lugged 6" barrel on a 686 or GP-100 is going to be rather heavy and I prefer 4" barrels. A 6" tube is OK for a dedicated range gun or hunting but tazman doesn't handgun hunt, so that just leaves range work. I would recommend a 4" GP-100 or 686.
The perpetual line about S&W triggers being better than Rugers, "out of the box" is growing very thin these days. The Ruger triggers can be greatly improved and the Smith triggers, aren't what they used to be "out of the box". I think comparison between the trigger actions of those two guns is basically a wash these days.
One of the .357 magnum capable K-frames (models 19 or 66) would fit tazman's requirements of a gun called upon to shoot 38 Special most of the time but if he's not going to carry the gun a lot, I'd still recommend going with the stronger Ruger GP-100 or S&W L-frame. The weight penalty isn't as big of a factor if you're not carrying that hunk of steel all day.
If a used .357 mag is in the cards, A good Ruger Security-Six would be an excellent choice; stronger than a K-frame and lighter than a GP-100. The Six series Rugers are getting harder to find but they are outstanding guns.
Then we come to Dan Wesson's, Colt Python's and the like. No doubt those are good guns but often pricey and good examples can be hard to find. Pythons are particularly expensive and parts are getting tough to find if you need to put one back in time. I wouldn't label the Colt lockwork as fragile but I will say that the S&W or Ruger actions are far stronger. The less expensive coil spring Colt .357's such as the Trooper MKIII can be good shooters but have many of the same timing issues as the leaf spring Colts when they get old.

So, my suggestions in order: 1. Ruger GP-100
2. S&W 686
3. a good Ruger Security-Six

I would go with a 4" barrel but that's me and not him. I would also go with stainless steel, again me not him. A blued carbon steel revolver that lives in a house or at the range would be just fine.

BigAl52
12-20-2014, 11:07 AM
So when your looking at all of the others that have been suggested don't pass up a chance to look at a Ruger GP-100 Match champion. It in my opinion doesn't take second place at all to the S&W. Never owned a python but I have owned the rest the match champion is one fine 357. Al

jmort
12-20-2014, 11:12 AM
O/P wants a strong 6" revolver.
6" GP100. Nothing stronger in current production, and only gun stronger is the elusive .357 Redhawk. What a great nightstand gun. I have owned both S&W and Ruger double actions, and the difference in triggers is not significant in my opinion, especially after the Ruger gets "broken in"

aap2
12-20-2014, 11:13 AM
I shoot my S&W M66-1 6" a lot with cast boolits and really like it. It's stainless and an older model pinned and recessed; not sure why the barrel needed to be pinned in place or why the cartridge rims are recessed into the cylinder, but these models are a little more expensive to collectors I guess. The M66 fits my hand and is easy to shoot; I'm looking to buy a second one in 4". I see that S&W is making the M66 again, but the price is something like $900. Best of luck in picking a .357 revolver; there are some really great one's out there.

Petrol & Powder
12-20-2014, 11:37 AM
The new Model 66 has a two piece barrel (barrel and shroud) but it also has more metal in the forcing cone. They may have corrected the forcing cone issue, time will tell. I wouldn't run out and buy one right now but I'll watch and see how they hold up.

As for pinned barrels and recessed chambers (charge holes if you're a devoted S&W dude), those features are desirable to collectors. The pinned barrels may not require as much torque to hold the barrel shank in the frame and therefore be less susceptible to "thread choke" but that's debatable. What is not debatable is the fact that pinned barrels and recessed charge holes cost more to manufacture. S&W dropped both of those manufacturing techniques to reduce production costs. For a collector, they are important issues, for a shooter they are non-issues.

dubber123
12-20-2014, 11:57 AM
4 inch L frame smith

My vote too. N's are kinda heavy for what they are, and have short cylinders, K's get beat up with heavier loads. If moderate loads and a lot of carry Vs. shooting is the plan, a K's a good option.

dubber123
12-20-2014, 12:01 PM
O/P wants a strong 6" revolver.
6" GP100. Nothing stronger in current production, and only gun stronger is the elusive .357 Redhawk. What a great nightstand gun. I have owned both S&W and Ruger double actions, and the difference in triggers is not significant in my opinion, especially after the Ruger gets "broken in"

Only part I disagree with is the "strongest" one. In D/A form, yep, .357 Redhawk. In ultimate strength, F/A model 353.

jmort
12-20-2014, 12:02 PM
This is a thread about double action revolvers.

pjames32
12-20-2014, 01:16 PM
Sort of like a Ford or Chevy question. We all have an opinion! I've owned most over the years including a Security six 6" that I should have kept. Currently own an old Security Six 4" and an old S&W 66 4" (original Iowa Highway Patrol gun). Like them both and they are "go to" guns in my house. Guess I like the old ones best as they have stayed around and not been traded. The Ruger has had some trigger work. The S&W has not. Both have fired many thousand rounds, mostly 38. They will both stay with me for the duration. YMMV
PJ

A pause for the COZ
12-20-2014, 01:27 PM
Man this is a question not likely to garner differing opinions... :popcorn:

Kind of a open ended question though. You do need to know what your intended use is.

If your intensest is a heavy dose of full blown 357mag max loads. Get a Ruger just about any will do.

If price is no object get a Colt or Dan Wesson and cherish it.

If good trigger and great performance with varying loads. Get a Smith.

My choices were a Ruger Black Hawk for my Boom!! medicine. and a Smith & Wesson model 19 for all around use.

My opinions only so grab some pop corn and enjoy the show.

Rick Hodges
12-20-2014, 02:12 PM
4" L frame...686.

ruizhernandeztrust
12-20-2014, 02:23 PM
My vote goes to the GP100, 6" barrel. Hell for stout and accurate to boot.

+1
The ruger gp-100 is a tank. I have Zero problems with my gp-100 6"

Alablam
12-20-2014, 03:02 PM
I'm no expert and I have not shot L-frame Smiths, any Colts, Dan Wessons, or the more modern Rugers, but I have owned a Security Six since 1976 and Like it a lot. As a former chert pit shooter, I believe the Ruger DA system is less resistant to flying debris gumming up the works than either a M-19 or M-28 that I also shot. I know that revolvers don't jam, but calling a time out to pick out a piece of **** in a binding area might not be a good thing. A SA revolver is better for outside work as is a loose but not too loose 1911 variant like the Combat commander that never stuttered at the chert pit. In fact it was a clay rosette extruded around the barrel bushing of the 45 auto that I noticed when changing mags that gave me a reason to find a better place to shoot.

GP100man
12-20-2014, 03:20 PM
DG31872

Yes it`s a 357 max case formed to chamber in 357mag , it holds 2x the shot as the store bought blue capsules.
Good to Mr. No Leggs range .

Do a search on "snakeshot" & the threads should contain the info .

3leggedturtle
12-20-2014, 03:53 PM
Security Six, tho the L frame 586's are right up too. Regreeted never buying a fe M28's.

Petrol & Powder
12-20-2014, 04:26 PM
OK Tazman, my very informal count from this thread shows the GP-100 as a very strong favorite with the L-frame Smiths' (586/686) being a distant second choice. Then you have the K-frame Smiths in 3rd place. Bringing up 4th place with about equal praise are the Ruger Six series, N-frame S&W, Colts and Dan Wesson's. Some posters where a bit vague and some where not.

Alablam
12-20-2014, 04:31 PM
I'm no expert and I have not shot L-frame Smiths, any Colts, Dan Wessons, or the more modern Rugers, but I have owned a Security Six since 1976 and Like it a lot. As a former chert pit shooter, I believe the Ruger DA system is less resistant to flying debris gumming up the works than either a M-19 or M-28 that I also shot. I know that revolvers don't jam, but calling a time out to pick out a piece of **** in a binding area might not be a good thing. A SA revolver is better for outside work as is a loose but not too loose 1911 variant like the Combat commander that never stuttered at the chert pit. In fact it was a clay rosette extruded around the barrel bushing of the 45 auto that I noticed when changing mags that gave me a reason to find a better place to shoot.

wl620
12-20-2014, 05:44 PM
I too have been on the hunt for a 357 magnum double action (a highly accurate) one that is and have gone through several in the last 20 some odd years.
I will say that in all my searching i think I have found a good one its a ruger gp100 6" blued model.
I have had several smiths (686,586,19&28) the 28 seemed to fit my hand the best but you could shut me up in a boxcar with it in my hand and I could'nt hit the boxcar with it, seems to be my luck with smiths.
This particular ruger is the second gp100 I've had and is the tightest fitting wth barrel cylinder gap checking in at .0035, all the cylinder throats except one are .358and the oddball is .356 on one side and .358 the other way, I just havent fixed it yet I have that chamber marked though and do not use it. i did put a spring kit in it and polished it up a bit. It has accounted for a pile of jackrabbits and more than a few coyotes and I wouldnt take for it.
I have not had a colt or dan wesson although I would like to try a dan wesson someday, of all the revolvers I' been through it would have been a lot cheaper to send that first smith the model 28 to a good revolversmith and have him make it what I want, wich is what Im fixin to do with a newly aquired 8 3/8"16-4 if it does'nt change its evil ways.
If you can go to your local gunshop and take a good set of at least thousandth marked feeler guages and a few pin guages with you fin one with a B/C gap under .005 and most all of the throats the same size and buy that one thats a good place to start. Thats my advice you can take it for what its worth.

Bohica793
12-20-2014, 05:52 PM
Dan Wesson 15-2

I was lucky enough to find one at an estate auction 2 years ago that was unfired in the original box. It is one of the most accurate firearms I have ever had the pleasure of shooting.

9.3X62AL
12-20-2014, 06:13 PM
Colt Python
GP-100
S&W586, 686

Can,t go wrong with any of these.

What Waco said here. The major makers got the 357 Magnums RIGHT--very few dimensional anomalies, and a WHOLE LOT of them got made for a very long time.

Add-on makes/models.......The old Ruger Speed-Six and Service-Six series were hell for strong, and worth having. The Colt Mark III Troopers weren't as highly refined as the I-frame Pythons/old Troopers/Officer's Model, but had far more durable lockworks and the platform strength of the L-frame S&Ws. Real sleepers, right there. N-frame 357s are GREAT revolvers, but have a short cylinder length inherited from the 38/44 series that inhibits their flexibility.

tomme boy
12-20-2014, 06:56 PM
taz, how close are you to me? I might be up for a road trip once I get mine back from Ruger if you want to shoot it.

Groo
12-20-2014, 07:37 PM
Groo here
For all of your uses except CCW I would suggest a S&W 327 TRR8 or M&P.
For defense , 8 shots-lightrail-rail for red dot.
For target, 5 inch and good sights.
For trail, good sights, good barrel length and lighter weight.
Mine will make clay birds shake with fear AT 100 YDS.
I DO NOT shoot 38s in a 357 except , if there is nothing else- or testing.[ don't like cleaning the chambers]
To carry back it up with a 327 Night guard.
The round butt n frame will take any 357 you want - adjust the grip to your hand and go.

tazman
12-20-2014, 10:05 PM
taz, how close are you to me? I might be up for a road trip once I get mine back from Ruger if you want to shoot it.

Looks like we are about 90 miles apart which is very do-able. We could pick a gun range and meet somewhere in between or I could come to you.

Love Life
12-20-2014, 10:15 PM
I owned a S&W TRR8. It was a piece of c rap from day one.

dubber123
12-20-2014, 10:27 PM
This is a thread about double action revolvers.

Yep, sure is.

bob208
12-20-2014, 10:43 PM
well I can answer this one from experience . bought a ruger security-six 4" stainless in 77 have shot it a bunch and carried for 30 years. it is still going strong.it has had no work done on it ever.

so I would say a security-six.

dnotarianni
12-20-2014, 11:02 PM
Pre-lock 686 in a 6 shot or a pre-lock 627 in an 8 shot I'm just a purest for pre locks and I got friends that swear by the newer lock guns

Bullwolf
12-21-2014, 02:26 AM
Hard question to answer. After you subtract my own personal bias and opinion...

I'd recommend an older Dan Wesson Model 15-2, (715 stainless) or even a complete pistol pack, if I had to recommend a durable double action 357 for a mechanically inclined individual who shoots a lot, demands extreme accuracy, and likes to get hands on with the insides of the revolver.

http://images.whoppo.net/forum.images/DanWesson.Pistolpack--600x413.jpg

The most accurate double action revolvers that I've ever had the pleasure to shoot were all Dan Wesson's. Sadly CZ-USA's current pricing on the newly released and blem DW revolvers is not very realistic, they are slowly coming down to comparable Ruger and Smith prices. The used market is ripe with many good deals however

I'd recommend a Ruger GP100, or an older Security Six for a newer shooter who just wants a solid gun that works, shoots a lot, and who fires lots of heavy loads. The Ruger will likely outlast most shooters, with minimal maintenance.

I'd recommend a Pre-lock Smith 586/686 for someone who doesn't shoot as often, or who shoots only 38 special. For someone who cares more about how light the trigger feels than the cost of the pistol. I love many older Smith and Wesson revolvers and there lots of good guns and deals out there. I wouldn't recommend buying a new one today, unless you feel really lucky.

I'd recommend a Colt Python, for someone to whom purchase price was no issue, but later resale value is, and if they weren't likely to shoot the gun as often.

To put some of my opinions into perspective, the only thing I have managed to really wear out in a very high round count, well used Ruger Security Six is the barrel to cylinder gap. I could always send the revolver back to Ruger to be re-barreled, or possibly have the barrel turned however.

With the Dan Wesson, I can easily change barrels myself or install an aftermarket barrel or shroud. (no trip back to the factory required) I can set, or set back my cylinder gap myself to whatever is the mot reliable, or most accurate for what I happen to be doing. The versatility is amazing, from a snub nose, to a 4 inch comfortable on my hip carry, 6 inch range gun, to a scoped 8 inch hunting revolver, with the turn of a barrel wrench.

I can easily tear the small frame Dan Wesson down to just a bare frame using just the barrel tool, and a brass punch. The 15-2 is the type of gun that the Average Joe can work on himself, assuming that he has a little bit of mechanical aptitude.

Tuning up your 15-2 -- The Average Joe method.. (http://www.danwessonforum.com/forum/reloading/tuning-up-your-15-2-the-average-joe-method/)

My first Dan Wesson 357 revolver came with one of the best triggers I've ever experienced right out of the box. The shorter DA feel is something of an acquired taste though, and not for everyone. The only work done on it was performed by myself - and I'm no gunsmith. I've fluffed and buffed the internals, and also swapped a few springs over the years with smoothness and reliability in mind, instead of an extremely light trigger pull. I am comfortable and enjoy taking the Dan Wesson entirely apart and putting it back together, it just feels like the gun was made to be worked on.

Alternatively My 610 Smith revolver (Pin gun) has had a real slick trigger job performed on it by an actual gunsmith, and is arguably one of the most accurate Smith and Wesson revolvers that I own. To give you an idea of my skill level, I couln't have performed the trigger job this light in pull and maintained reliability myself. I am also not comfortable tearing the Smith down to a bare frame, and putting all the pieces back together.

My 610 has a very light trigger pull. (lighter than my DW) It's too light for self defense, or for most shooters. If I let someone else shoot it, I need to coach them about it first, and yet I still prefer the feel of the Dan Wesson's short double action trigger pull to the Smith and Wesson. Not to neglect Ruger, I've had a nice trigger job done on my Ruger SP101 from a reputable gunsmith. The Ruger is still reliable, with a nice smooth trigger feel in double action.

Dan Wesson revolvers defined and dominated metallic silhouette shooting competition for many years. They are extremely durable guns, and in many cases ridiculously accurate as well. To many folks Dan Wesson represents an unknown, and consequently the main big 3 manufactures will always be the go to guys first when it comes to revolvers.

- Bullwolf

jonp
12-21-2014, 08:41 AM
GP-100 6". shot plenty accurate out to 50yrds for me to hunt deer with and accounted for one nice buck before I sold it.

For daily carry a SP-101 2.5in barrel

Petrol & Powder
12-21-2014, 11:05 AM
well I can answer this one from experience . bought a ruger security-six 4" stainless in 77 have shot it a bunch and carried for 30 years. it is still going strong.it has had no work done on it ever.

so I would say a security-six.

The Security-Six would probably have been my #1 recommendation but for the fact that good GP-100's are a bit easier to find.
However 30 years and still going strong is a good endorsement !

They were great guns and I wish Bill Ruger would have continued that production line but he did manage to get about 1.5 million out the door before the GP-100 replaced them, so all is not lost.

357Mag
12-21-2014, 01:51 PM
TAZ -

Howdy !

If they fit your hand OK, I reccomend a S & W "N"- frame .357Mag.

Their former 5" M-27 IMHO was/is the gold standard for balance, controlability, appearance, accuracy; fit/finish et al.

If your physique allows, a 4" "N"-frame .357Mag can make for a great carry gun. It's what I've been carrying for 39+ yr.
Their wt & heft ( IMHO ) make them easier to shoot w/ full-tilt .357Mag rounds; than say an " L " or a Ruger.

With regards,
357Mag

Zouave 58
12-21-2014, 02:14 PM
I believe there is nothing to match a pre-lock S&W for trigger pull and general fit and finish.

tazman
12-21-2014, 04:36 PM
25 years ago I had a S&W model 27 among some other guns. My wife got sick and it had to go along with most of the rest to pay medical bills.
I wish I had it back, but that is water under the bridge now.
I am in a different position moneywise now. I can afford to get a good gun to shoot, carry, and keep.
I am just trying to get input so I can make the best decision I can.
There has been a tremendous input on this thread and I greatly appreciate it. Keep it coming. I am not going to rush out and buy something without some consideration.
My problem is I don't know enough people personally who have these weapons that I could try out. I haven't owned a lot of revolvers or pistols either one. I need to rely on the wisdom and experience here to help me out.

9.3X62AL
12-21-2014, 04:37 PM
I believe there is nothing to match a pre-lock S&W for trigger pull and general fit and finish.

I generally agree, but Colt Pythons were pretty nicely finished also.

PBSmith
12-21-2014, 08:28 PM
It's not likely to get many votes for "The Best," but near the top of my "Why-The-Hell-Did-You-Sell-It?" list is the Colt 357. That was the model name of the first revolver Colt chambered in caliber 357 magnum. They were a work of art, and exceptionally accurate as well. The Colt 357 later served as a basis for the Python, if I'm not mistaken.

I still have the budget version of the 3-5-7, known as the Trooper 357 (not the Mark series). What will sell you on these guns are: (a) their accuracy; (b) their good looks; and (c) their fine action. However, I don't know if they'd stand up to a lifetime of heavy shooting, and not every Tom, Dick and Harry can work on them.

Murphy
12-21-2014, 09:03 PM
Best is pretty hard to define, what's best for me maynot be best for you. That being said......

I'm a Smith & Wesson fanatic, always have been, always will be.

Barrel length, weight and finishes. There is aplethora of them to be had in .357 magnum S&W's.
Your best bet in an investment would be a good L frame (Models 586 or 686) or an N frame (Models 28 & 27). The L & N frames are very durable revolvers, built to last a life time.

Then, there is the K frame line. Lighter and easier to carry around all day, every day. However, and this is just my opinion. The L & N frames are a step above if you plan on shooting them alot with full power factory or hand loads.

Good luck in your search.

Murphy

BD
12-21-2014, 09:24 PM
Dan Wesson 15-2, get the pistol pack if you can find one.

Green Monster
12-21-2014, 10:02 PM
Gp 100 itll handle any load you put in it and ask for more. Plus itll outlast you so you can have a great peice to pass on

coloraydo
12-21-2014, 10:04 PM
Got a 4" Security Six that the wife commandeered and WILL NOT give up, and mine is a 4" GP-100, so we both recommend the Rugers.[smilie=w:

slughammer
12-21-2014, 11:53 PM
I have a GP100 that was my first center fire handgun. It went away from me for about 15 years, but recently came back. It just doesn't point as naturally for me as my Smith and Wessons do. Depending on what points well for you, I would recommend either a 4" SW 686/586 or GP100 Stl/Blu any of these will handle a constant diet of magnum loads and probably last forever shooting 38's. (I'm also a big fan of the KFrames, but if I could only have one and still afford all the ammo I wanted, it would be an L frame 4" 686).

tygar
12-22-2014, 12:27 AM
Hands down the S&W M27! The prettiest, best made, best shootin iron period! For duty carry M19/66.

hp246
12-22-2014, 12:36 PM
Time for my .02. I've carried most of the Colts, S & Ws and Rugers. In my experience all are fine handguns, each having their own plus and minuses. I thought the Rugers were the most rugged, and would take the most abuse, but never cared for the triggers. The Colts seemed to be the most accurate, but timing would deteriorate, and they would have to be re-timed periodically. The S & Ws (for me) had the best and easiest to improve triggers, but they were susceptible to end shake. My all time favorite was a S & W 581.

MT Gianni
12-22-2014, 12:54 PM
I guess I should have stated my intended use.
The majority of it's use will be on the shooting range trying to improve my skill. It would also spend nights near the bed for personal/home defense.
I shoot 38 special loads but want the 357 for the strength and possibly the occasional magnum load.
I tend to like the balance and sight radius I get with 6 inch barrels. If I really like the gun, I would get a second one with a shorter barrel for concealed carry.
I currently shoot about 150-200 rounds a week through my revolver and another 150 or so through my autos. I am quite happy with my current autos.
My revolver is a 357, while quite accurate, is starting to show signs of coming apart. It should never loosen up with lots of 38 special loads but it seems to be doing it. Hence the different, more durable revolver.
I have never hunted with a handgun and probably never will since my eyes limit me to fairly short range with iron sights. I have never liked the feel of a revolver with an optic on it. The balance changes too much for my taste.
It needs to be accurate and utterly dependable.
That seems to be the use of a revolver for me.
Rapid da shooting will wear a gun to the point of having to replace the hand and some retiming issues. Since most of the guns used in shooting games requiring da were Smiths they get the blame for wear. Like stating that chevy's wear out faster than ferraris as you see more of them in the shops.
Since you are not packing it far a heavier gun may fit your needs.

lbaize3
12-22-2014, 03:03 PM
Over the years, I have owned and shot nearly every gun listed in the thread. I have carried and shot revolvers in Vietnam and as a law enforcement officer. I have enjoyed practicing and plinking with revolvers of every type. Each one had its' own unique strength that attracted me to it. However, as the years went along, I soon pared down the number of revolvers I own and now own mostly Smith and Wesson revolvers. I have a three inch Model 13 (and a 4 inch one, too) that is extra fine on the double action targets. I have a 8 inch Model 586 that is more accurate than I will ever be. Two four inch 686 pistols make a nice double set to carry. A six inch 686+1 is a bunch of fun to shoot. I also have a two and a half inch 66 and some I have probably forgotten.

The point being, I have tried them all and found myself preferring the trigger geometry of the S&W revolvers. Even with this preference, I sometime find myself carrying my Ruger LCRx.... They are all fun and everyone has their own preference....

Green Frog
12-22-2014, 04:27 PM
I faced pretty much this exact question about a year and a half ago when I had my 6" Model 66 dash naught converted to 327 Fed Mag in Project 616 and then noticed that I no longer had a 357 in my safe. :? I sat down and looked at the criteria I needed to meet, which were very close to yours, incidentally. The answer came back unequivocally that I should get a 6" Model 686 pre-lock. I got one and equipped it with a set of factory smooth FG combats and never looked back. Problem solved! :mrgreen:

Froggie

1Shirt
12-22-2014, 04:36 PM
4"bbl colt!
1Shirt!

scarry scarney
12-22-2014, 05:35 PM
Ok, I owned and got rid of a Dan Wesson (regret), and still own a COP, Desert Eagle, Ruger (security six), Smith (model 19) and Colt (Python) and enjoy shooting them all (except the COP). I know the COP and DE don't fit the OP requirements. My favorite is the Smith. I would like to try a Korth, just to see if the price is worth it.

Anyone ever shoot a Korth?

tazman
12-22-2014, 08:39 PM
Thank you all for the responses and advice. It appears that the Ruger GP100 and the Smith & Wesson 686/586 revolvers are the most popular followed by the Smith 27 and the Dan Wesson 15-2. I will look around a bit at the local gun shops and see what I can find.

Petrol & Powder
12-22-2014, 10:42 PM
That's a good plan tazman. My parting advice would be to at least consider a 4" model out of those excellent choices.
Good Luck!

scarry scarney
12-23-2014, 05:11 PM
I'll second that opinion of the 4 inch. I had a six inch Colt Trooper, and that barrel was just uncomfortable to carry anywhere....

dubber123
12-23-2014, 06:12 PM
I wish you were a touch closer, I have a pile of S&W's you could try out. Truth be told, if it feels good in your hand, I doubt you will notice much difference between any of the recommendations given here.

charlie b
12-24-2014, 12:16 AM
Go to a range and try them. I have a Python next to the bed and an SP101 that I carry.

They Python is particular about the load. It likes max load 125 and 140gn bullets. Others not so much. .38special it does not like at all. I got the Ruger because I wanted a good ss snubbie. Had other Rugers in the past and liked the way they shoot. Caution, if you find a Python with the stock grips, shoot it with gloves on. The sharp checkering will tear up your hands. :)

I did like a sw mod19 that a friend had and it was a nice gun, I just did not like it more than the Python.

Would I pay the price for a Python? No. I think a Ruger, other Colts, or Smiths are as good. It just depends on what fits you.

bobthenailer
12-24-2014, 09:11 AM
all of my DA revolvers have been S&W except my first handgun a H&R 999

6bg6ga
12-24-2014, 09:12 AM
I had a thread one time where I asked about the best 44 magnum dies and I got scolded good so I guess it depends on who you are as to if you can get away with it. Reading this thread kinda makes me laugh as I know it will end up with a dozen or so brands being named as the best. When the wife was looking for a 357 we went to a number of gun shows and delt with different dealers. The Ruger dealers pushed the Ruger products and the GP100 if they had one. Neither my wife or I was impressed with the trigger pull on the Ruger. Sure it is probably a strong gun. Quality.... iffy in my opinion but then again isn't this thread all about opinion anyway?

So, what do you look for in a quality pistol? I look for a great trigger. Nice and crisp and light. The S&W 686 was the one that topped the list and caught both my wifes eye and mine. The 686 in my opinion it probably tops on my list. Sure, you can find something that will work for you. The wife misses the model 14 or 15 I believe Dan Wesson probably because it was out first hand gun. Stung my hands with hot loads and the trigger wasn't impressive either.

There are a lot of good 357's out there so to me its simple. Just pick the one you like.

Hickok
12-24-2014, 10:00 AM
Just for me, I have always been a S&W man when it comes to double action revolvers. Not saying they are better than any of the others, they are just better for me. When I pick up any S&W revolver it is "familiar" to me.

375supermag
12-24-2014, 10:38 AM
Hi...

I have a bunch of .357Mag revolvers in both SA and Da configuration and have shot a few that I do not personally own.

The best .357Mag revolver I have ever shot is my own M686 Silhouette Model S&W with an 8-3/8" barrel. Scary accurate with a variety of loads...the adjustable sights front and rear make it extremely versatile and the long sight radius helps with longer shots.

I have thousands and thousands of rounds through this gun both cast and jacketed over the last 30 years or so. Everything from light 125gr plinking loads to 200gr silhouette style loads at the upper end velocity and pressure-wise. Never a problem and the sight adjustments are easy and repeatable.

Won some matches with this revolver back in the day and though I no longer shoot competitively, I am sure that if I entered a match with this revolver I would at least be competitive even against shooters with younger eyes.

robertbank
12-24-2014, 11:43 AM
GP-100 is my go to gun for IDPA SSR Division. I have a 686 No Dash that is it's back-up. Both are 4" guns. Both balance well. The Ruger is one once lighter. Both have great triggers and there is not a lot to give away on each of them. The Rugers often need a little TLC before they come into their own. Mine needed the cylinders reamed to .358 and the forccing cone cleaned up and reamed to 11 degrees for lead.

For the price difference the G p-100 is just a better buy and you can argue if you want which gun is better.

Take Care

Bob

Doc1
12-30-2014, 12:00 AM
I haven't read every reply in this thread, but I have read most of them. One thing I haven't seen anyone discuss is field stripping and repair of their revolvers...and field stripping is a phrase you rarely hear in conjunction with revolvers. I like the GP-100 AND Smith & Wessons (and own both in .357), but when it comes to ruggedness, field stripping and repair, the GP-100 is head and shoulders above the rest. Check out some YouTube videos on taking down a GP-100. Most revolver guys don't consider field stripping or repairing their handgun, whereas most (serious) semi-automatic guys do as a matter of course.

If I were ever limited to only one handgun to use as a survival/do-everything weapon in an uncertain world, it would be my GP-100. Interestingly, I say this as a die-hard 1911 guy who readily admits that the 1911 is not as versatile as a quality .357 revolver! For adequate survival, hunting, defense, etc., it's hard to beat a .357 and for that application, it's hard to beat a GP-100!

If I knew that I had to go into a gun fight with a handgun, I would choose one of my 1911s, but if I happened into a defensive situation with my GP-100 I wouldn't feel the least bit under-gunned. Of course that's entirely hypothetical, 'cuz if I knew I was going into a fight I'd use a long gun!

Best regards
Doc

xpshooter
12-30-2014, 01:00 AM
Ill give another vote for the Dan Wesson pistol pac like BullWolf's pic. I currently have dan wessons in 44 and 445 supermag, and always kinda wanted the 357 pistol pack, with the vent heavy configuration.

although i will mention i was able to get a 3 shot group of 1 1/4 @ 100 yards out of a friends 357 ruger with reddot optic using 38 special loads. I had to pay attention which chambers to use of the cylinder as they were not all the same, but i noticed 3 were very consistant.
i think it was a gp-100 but i do know it was about 6" barrel

happie2shoot
12-30-2014, 02:17 AM
In the 1980s I went to gunsmithing school and was lucky enough
to have a revolver class by the great Ron Powers. I have owned
shot and worked on most of what has been listed on this thread.

Right now I have nineteen 357s and have shot many of them at ranges
that if I told you you would call bs, have lived where I could shoot farther
than 1000yds out my back door, still can part of the time, I stay on a
ranch part time and could shoot past one mile if I want too.

My two favorite 357s are the 6'' GP-100 and the 6.5'' BH 357/9mm convertible.

Both will shoot a 187gr. fngc LBT at 1500+fps and shoot six inch six shot groups
at 200yds.

Bagdadjoe
12-30-2014, 06:11 PM
The most accurate I have owned was a stainless Dan with a 686 Smith next. The Dan has the very enviable option of interchangeable barrel lengths. I also like the lockup, short hammer fall and trigger on the Dan.
If money is not, as you've indicated, a factor, I'd say a ss Dan Wesson pistol pac with the extra barrels. They are a snap to change, by the way.

crabo
12-31-2014, 12:35 AM
I like my 357s. I bought the 8 3/8ths right.($300)

My wife likes the 686 with Lee 125 rnfp with 4 grains of Bullseye in a special case. It has one of the Jarvis underlugs on it.

sewerman68
01-01-2015, 07:10 PM
Ruger security six is my alltime favorite.