PDA

View Full Version : Hensley & Gibbs Mold Alignment Pin Replacement

Hardline
12-19-2014, 09:04 PM
We were sent in a H&G mold with the standard 2 round pins on one side only. The mating side of the block with the two chamfered holes was severely worn as is common in the old well used H&G molds. We tried just pressing new pins in the original holes, but they didn't line up right and left the cavities visibly misaligned. With the right fixture to hold the mold and indicating everything perfectly, 2 new pin holes could be put in the block. The problem is that it will take a substantial amount of time to make the fixture and get everything set up which doesn't make sense for doing just one mold.

Are there other members of this forum out there with damaged pins on their H&G molds that would be interested in having new hardened male and female alignment pins installed if we were able to perfect the process?

floydboy
12-19-2014, 09:27 PM
I have at least one I would be interested in having done. If I understand you correctly you will be installing inserts in the female half of the mold. All of mine are 10 hole molds except for two 45 cal which are 8 cavities. PM me if you decide to do this with a price.

thanks,,,,Floyd

Hardline
12-19-2014, 10:13 PM
Hardened male and female inserts would be installed in the original holes if possible otherwise new holes would be drilled and reamed next to the original ones.

Texasflyboy
12-19-2014, 10:43 PM
When the handles are properly tightened, the alignment pins are almost not needed. But when the handle hinge is allowed to have excessive slop in via the threaded hinge screw and bolt, therein lies the problem with the female holes becoming egg shaped.

Properly adjusted handles should allow the blocks to open to about 10 and 2 O'clock at the most, or just enough to allow the bullets to fall out.

After you've repaired the blocks with new alingment pins, adjusting the hinge screw will ensure another 50 years of productive use.

starreloader
12-19-2014, 10:48 PM
I have a 3, maybe 4 that need to be repaired, all 10 cav moulds... Let me know if this repair will happen.