PDA

View Full Version : Pewter Figurines

hp246
12-19-2014, 02:37 PM
I have access to quite a bit of Ricker Pewter figurines that are damaged and not saleable as art pieces. I would like to use these to harden up some pure lead. The Ricker pewter is has quite a bit of lead, as the figurine are actually soft and can be easily scratched. My questions: Is there a simple way to determine the lead/tin content? Is there an ideal ratio for mixing ratio for mixing with pure lead? In the past I've had great success with wheel weight, but came into a supply of pure lead and these figurines.

bangerjim
12-19-2014, 03:30 PM
Shoot an ingot with an X-ray gun at a scrap yard. Will tell you the % content.

Anything else will be a SWAG. Hardness really tells you nothing about % actual content.

You can test hardness with your tester of if you do not have one, use artis pencils per the threads on here.

You can play with density, but you need some accurate measure and scales and references to do that.

Just melt them into ingots and try using them to get to 2% Sn fill-out.

banger

hp246
12-19-2014, 03:53 PM
I'll have to check into the x-ray gun. Not very many big time scrap yards in my area. Also, some of the pieces have a gold finish on them. not sure if it is gold plate or exactly what it is. Will this gold material separate in the melt or will it just combine with the rest of the melt?

bangerjim
12-19-2014, 07:08 PM
I have not idea what it is. I could be flashed-on gold (very thin). Almost like a gold fog applied to the surface. Or could be just a chemical rinse or electroplated.

Try melting some by themselves to see what you get!

banger

runfiverun
12-19-2014, 09:39 PM
you could look up how much lighter tin is than lead and pour a lead boolit and a pewter boolit in the same mold and weigh the two, the weight difference would give you a close nuff idea.

imashooter2
12-19-2014, 10:13 PM
Ricker does use leaded pewter alloys. You could email info@ricker.com and ask about the percentages used in their most commonly used alloys. I would be very surprised if the lead content was more than 20%.

My experience melting pewter is that silver and brass plating and appliques will not melt and can easy be removed with the dross after fluxing. I suspect that gold would be the same if it is in fact, gold.

hp246
12-19-2014, 11:46 PM
Good thoughts. Thanks guys.