PDA

View Full Version : Would any of these transactions be legal?

Naphtali
02-17-2008, 02:42 PM
These are hypothetical, but important, points of law I need to have clarified.

I own a handgun [Model XYZ]. I drive to another state with the gun and attend a gun show, or I meet a friend. Am I legally able to sell the gun -- as a private transaction -- without the requirement to do it through an FFL holder?
From a different perspective, if I attend a gun show, or meet a friend in a different state while on vacation, I believe I am not legally able to purchase a handgun [Model ABC] -- as a private transaction -- without the requirement to do it through an FFL holder if I am not a resident?

45nut
02-17-2008, 02:49 PM
That is where it gets muddy in relation to our gun laws, every state approaches it very differently.

In Oregon you would be ok in the first scenario, we do not require obscene and intrusive checks into our background unless it goes through a FFL.

You are correct in scenario two. legally as an out of state resident you are barred from buying handguns but rifles and shotguns are ok.

Again, the state laws vary so much its nearly as clear as mud as to what may or may not be legal.

monadnock#5
02-17-2008, 03:07 PM
My own humble opinion is NO! It just ain't worth the risk. Especially when the BATFE can fold, spindle and mutilate existing law to fit their immediate requirements. The story of the National Guardsman convicted for transferring a machine gun as a good example of how they do business. You'd have to assume that any investigation of a possible gun crime at the local level wouldn't be satisfied until the feds had a chance to weigh in on the issue.

jlchucker
02-17-2008, 03:30 PM
Monadnock is right. It ain't worth the risk. He and I both live in states that border Massachusetts. They have a big sign there announcing a MANDATORY 1-year jail sentence for carrying a gun into their People's Republic--and the sign is usually posted about two feet beyond the state line. And that's for any gun, of any type. Federal officers with certain badges (and I know a few) can carry anything, anywhere, but us plain old US citizens are considered criminals in states like Massachussetts just for having a firearm. They don't believe in second amendment rights for Americans from any other states.

racepres
02-17-2008, 06:56 PM
Mass.?? Gee If I only lived there I could continue to vote for the Kennedys! Right! I really like that one that got the "Good Driver" award awhile back!! I think he 'deserves our trust.. and we should continue to support the **** never Mind!!! Obviously the Sheeple who live there have made up Our minds!!!! Turned down a darn good paying job there long ago... Wouldn't dream of going anywhere near the ..... Place. MV

jhalcott
02-17-2008, 11:28 PM
Mass. ain't the butt hole on this continent! In Md. you have to get the state police to O K a hand gun sale even to another Md citizen. I know of one gent who is having trouble because he GAVE his daughter a pistol to protect herself from an abusive ex.!

racepres
02-18-2008, 12:07 AM
:shock:
Jeeze!!!! What is the matter w/ people?????

twidget
02-18-2008, 01:25 AM
These are hypothetical, but important, points of law I need to have clarified.

I own a handgun [Model XYZ]. I drive to another state with the gun and attend a gun show, or I meet a friend. Am I legally able to sell the gun -- as a private transaction -- without the requirement to do it through an FFL holder?
From a different perspective, if I attend a gun show, or meet a friend in a different state while on vacation, I believe I am not legally able to purchase a handgun [Model ABC] -- as a private transaction -- without the requirement to do it through an FFL holder if I am not a resident?

The answer to the first question is no. All interstate transactions must go through a dealer. You have the correct answer to the second question. You may not buy a handgun outside your state of residence, but you can buy rifles and shotguns from a dealer if the transaction is legal in both states.

Bret4207
02-18-2008, 08:59 AM
Monadnock is right. It ain't worth the risk. He and I both live in states that border Massachusetts. They have a big sign there announcing a MANDATORY 1-year jail sentence for carrying a gun into their People's Republic--and the sign is usually posted about two feet beyond the state line. And that's for any gun, of any type. Federal officers with certain badges (and I know a few) can carry anything, anywhere, but us plain old US citizens are considered criminals in states like Massachussetts just for having a firearm. They don't believe in second amendment rights for Americans from any other states.

When the Mass SP come sto Albany to teach DOT classes they come in full pack and armed with no problems. When we, (NYSP), go to Mass for school it has to be unarmed and in civies.

We've had Investigators detained and threatened with arrest for crossing from NY into Pa. to interview people in a criminal case.

When we went on a manhunt along the NY/Pa border and the bad guy (cop killer) retreated into Pa there just weren't any Pa cops available (willing?) to assist us. We pursued into Pa and only the actions of the US Marshalls Service deputizing us kept us out of hot water. Were talking less than 1 mile here.

When we went to NYC for 9/11 we had to go through Jersey to get there. No problem from the NJ SP at all.

When we deal with Vt, no problem.

When we deal with Canada- HA! Forget it, but it's okay for them to travel armed through NY to get to their land locked possessions.

Makes ya wonder, huh?