PDA

View Full Version : does anyone make 20 gauge rifled barrel blanks?

catboat
02-17-2008, 02:26 PM
I was wondering if it was possible to rebarrel my smoothbore bolt action Marlin model 55 20 gauge with a rifled barrel.

Does any barrel maker in the USA make 20 gauge rifled slug barrel blanks that could be used on my Marlin 55 ("mini-goose gun")? I'm pretty sure that barrel is threaded into the receiver, so it would be a fixed barrel.

I didn't find anything with a preliminary search. Sure would appreciate comments and contact info.

Scrounger
02-17-2008, 02:52 PM
Somebody must because there are so many such shotguns and finished barrels for sale. But nobody lists them on the internet. I would suggest contacting Mossberg and other makers who sell shotguns. They are getting their barrels from somewhere or making them in house.

Scrounger
02-17-2008, 03:03 PM
I suppose it would be a waste of time to point out to you that you could buy a Mossberg or even Remington pump with rifled barrel for less than rebarrelling that gun will cost you; IF you find a barrel?

Greg5278
02-18-2008, 10:30 PM
Of course a 20ga barrel blank is available.
Most 20ga guns use rifled bores of .615-.620". You can safely use a .600 Nitro Express blank. They sre available from Pacnor, Krieger, Obermeyer, Pedersen, and a few others. I seem to recall the twist is more than enough with the 1 in 20 or 1 in 32 available. I think Delta gunworks could rifle one for you to a different twist if they can get a smooth blank.

Greg