PDA

View Full Version : The infamous Marlin jam

44man
02-17-2008, 12:14 PM
I kept reading about it and never had it happen until yesterday with my .44. I would shoot and work the lever where it just locked open and I could not close it, had to remove the lever screw to clear the gun. I then had to shoot single shot for the rest.
When I got up to the house I found the problem. The front screw in the trigger plate was loose.
I cleaned the gun and put it back together with locktite on the screws.
Seems as if just a little looseness on this screw will make the gun fail. The next round in the magazine will pop out below the one next to go in the chamber.
It works like a charm now.
Keep the screws tight! :Fire:

Denver
02-17-2008, 11:52 PM
44Man

I've had the same problem with a couple of the Marlin 94s I've owned, but this isn't the cause that has been dubbed the "Infamous Marlin Jam" you've heard about. Go here, http://maurauder.homestead.com/files/Marlin94Fix.html. It explains it better than I can. Hope the link works.
I've not had this problem and don't agree with the method of fixing it. Seems like overkill to me.

Denver :castmine:

Nueces
02-18-2008, 12:05 AM
This link will, I think :-D:

http://marauder.homestead.com/files/Marlin94Fix.html

Mark

44man
02-18-2008, 09:56 AM
Yes, I have that article but it was not my problem. However, the screw getting loose does exactly the same thing, it lets in two. The tiny bit that the plate drops lets the carrier drop too low and two rounds squirt in.
If your gun has always worked and all of a sudden it jams, I would bet the screws came loose. I am amazed at how fast they do loosen because I always get them real tight. Even the side plate screw was real loose. I only shot 40 rounds!
Anyway, before starting to cut metal, check all screws.

Dutch4122
02-18-2008, 10:24 AM
.....................Anyway, before starting to cut metal, check all screws.

Some of the best advice I've heard in a while.:cool:

Throckmorton
02-18-2008, 12:28 PM
Whenever a cas shooter has a Marlin lock up on him/her,it's almost always a looose screw somewhere.I've seen it a dozen times over the years,so your experience is the 'norm' for Marlins it seems.

Stevejet
02-19-2008, 03:52 AM
Back screws out enough to take two-turns of waxed dental floss under the screw heads. Retighten screws and Exacto-knife the protruding floss ends. The floss will act as a compression washer and help keep screws tight. It sure works on the hammer pivot screw of my Colt .45 SAA.

44man
02-19-2008, 03:49 PM
Hey, I like that idea! :drinks: Thanks, I will sure try it.

lovedogs
02-19-2008, 06:05 PM
Good idea, Stevejet. I never have loose screw problems but if I do I'll have to remember that one. Quick, easy, and only as permanent as you want it to be. Every time I shoot and clean my Marlin I check the screws, hoping to get ahead of the problems.

Irascible
02-22-2008, 12:10 AM
Hmm, something to try. I did order a "new style" carrier from Brownells, just what is that supposed to do?

buckshot&brass
02-22-2008, 12:44 AM
good to know.never had a problem though.

Newtire
02-24-2008, 11:20 AM
I had that happen with my .444 and loctited the one screw they say to do in the owner's manual and then the peepsight plug screws worked their way in and locked it up. Once I fixed those with loctite, never another problem since.