PDA

View Full Version : Would this make you happy or sad?

c1skout
12-17-2014, 06:47 PM

I tested 6 different Bullseye powder loads with an Ideal 160gn wc from my snub-nose 38. 50ft range fired single action with my wrist on a rest. Knowing my abilities I was happy with what I got, but was curious what the rest of you thought.

LUCKYDAWG13
12-17-2014, 07:11 PM
snub-nose at 50' i would say that's good

dubber123
12-17-2014, 07:19 PM
At that range I would like to see 2" or less for 5. I have a few snubs, and find them to shoot very close to what I expect from a 4" gun, but they are MUCH harder to do it with. The tiniest variation in grip or sight alignment is magnified a lot.

FlatTop45LC
12-17-2014, 07:21 PM
I would be pleased.

MT Gianni
12-17-2014, 07:21 PM
6 different loads at 17 yards? I would have wanted to see each separately but understand that snubbies have issues, or rather most shooters have issues with shooting them. If that is with a 6" K-38 I would have issues with the groups.

12-17-2014, 07:35 PM
Shooting snubbies with factory grips is a challenge. Only the Colt Det Spec. (large wooden grips version) was easy for me. Some custom grips or "Pachmyers" help a lot. That said, I'd say you are doing fine.

Dan Cash
12-17-2014, 08:15 PM
You are doing well. As others have noted, control with standard factory grips can be a real challenge. A Tyler T Grip or custom wood grips will really help control the revolver and keep your middle knuckle from being beaten to death. If you can do this well off hand, you may consider yourself quite competent.

Bzcraig
12-17-2014, 08:34 PM
Considering the purpose of the snubbies being up close and personal, point and shoot and highly concealable, yeah, I'm good with that.

Thomas Traddles
12-17-2014, 08:49 PM
Is there an advantage to shooting the heavier 160 gr WC over the 148 g WC?

c1skout
12-17-2014, 08:59 PM
At that range I would like to see 2" or less for 5. I have a few snubs, and find them to shoot very close to what I expect from a 4" gun, but they are MUCH harder to do it with. The tiniest variation in grip or sight alignment is magnified a lot.

Ok, a bit more info. Both of my snubbies are 6-shot. These loads were shot with my Armscor Colt det. special copy. Those photos are of groups from 3 different loads on each target. I shoot 6, mark the target, then shoot 6 more, etc. I crunched the numbers on the groups and came up with a 3.7" average for 5 shots groups from all 6 loads. My best was a 2.52" 5 shot group (best 3 in 1.28") followed by a 3.30" 5 shot group (best 3 in 1.40"). One of these was tumble-lubed the other I used simple-lube.

dubber123
12-17-2014, 09:20 PM
Ok, a bit more info. Both of my snubbies are 6-shot. These loads were shot with my Armscor Colt det. special copy. Those photos are of groups from 3 different loads on each target. I shoot 6, mark the target, then shoot 6 more, etc. I crunched the numbers on the groups and came up with a 3.7" average for 5 shots groups from all 6 loads. My best was a 2.52" 5 shot group (best 3 in 1.28") followed by a 3.30" 5 shot group (best 3 in 1.40"). One of these was tumble-lubed the other I used simple-lube.

Ok, that makes sense, I missed the part about multiple loads. Other than 1 Taurus, which surprisingly shot quite well, all my snubs have been S&W 36's or 60's. All of mine have been pretty well regulated for 158 gr. loads, but shot very well with a hot HB wadcutter load. I should shoot the ones I have more, they are easy to get rusty with, and they are what I prefer to carry.

You are doing well. I'd pick a load and shoot it a lot. It may surprise you how small groups get in a few thousand rounds.

**oneshot**
12-17-2014, 09:22 PM
Hard to say without seeing the individual groups.

mattw
12-17-2014, 09:38 PM
I would pick the best load out of the bunch for each gun and then try a couple of cylinders from each on a separate target, you might be surprised! My favorite is a S&W model 10 that is serialed to be late first or second year production, I use Hogue Monogrips on every S&W I own and find that the same grip feel really helps my shooting. My avatar is a target that I shot from around 22 feet off hand with 1 cylinder full from my 3" S&W, 4" S&W and an SP101 early production long cylinder 357 with 2.25" barrel, I finished the target with a second cylinder from the 3". All were shot double action. It is far from a perfect target, but I was very happy with the pattern and the load, considering that 2 of the 3 guns are fixed sights and I never changed the point of aim.

I guess what I am trying to say is that if you are pleased with the target and wish to persue one of the loads that worked the best, then things are good. It would help to use a different target for each load and maybe each load from each gun. But, if I were working up a load... I would consider it to be a good start at that range!

Merry Christmas, Matt

RogerDat
12-17-2014, 10:31 PM
My wife brought back a target that looked about like that, don't recall the distance so not making a direct comparison but.... a friend looking at the target while lounging on the couch commented that the target did not have a lot of holes in the bull's-eye. I asked to see the target, looked at it then dropped it on his chest and asked the only important question "which one missed".

Looks to me like the targets BMC would be having a bad day with all of your shots. So which ones missed?

MtGun44
12-18-2014, 01:05 AM
With 358429 HP over 5 gr of Unique, I can usually get about 2-2.5" for 5 at
10 - 12 yds, so 30-36 ft. Never have tested at 50 ft, and for MOST
other loads, I can't get anywhere near as good groups with my 342.

Bill

Beerd
12-18-2014, 11:11 AM
Shooting double action or single?

upnorthwis
12-18-2014, 01:18 PM
Just your wrist was on the rest? I would try it with the gun on the rest instead.

bedbugbilly
12-18-2014, 03:05 PM
50 feet - more than twice the distance of what is considered SD range - i.e. 7 yards or 21 feet. You were shooting at a little over 16 yards. If those targets are on 8 1/2 X 11 paper - then you are within "central mass". So . . I don't think you did too bad with a snub.

I have a Smith Model 36 snub and I am older (past 60) and have some eyesight issues. I recently switched out the stock grips on the 36 for a set of compact Pachs and it tightened my groups up considerably. We all try to shoot "tight groups" but believe me, age, eyesight, physical shape, etc. all enter in to it. The important thing is to practice, practice and then practice some more. It take time but you'll see even more improvement as you hit on a load that works well for you out of your hand gun.

I shot SA for close to 50 years - BP revolvers. When I finally got interested in cartridge handguns - DA was a whole different animal. If you are shooting the snub and plan on carrying it for SD - once you get you load worked up - do it in DA. I still shoot in SA many times but each range session includes DA practice - if you ever have to use your hand gun for SD - that's what you'll be using and it will normally be over in a matter of seconds - and that's all the time you'll have to put the perp down.

With practice, you'll be able to shoot even tighter groups firing off-hand with no rest at that distance. Working up a load? I don't think that's too bad and it gives you something to work towards. Good luck and thanks for sharing!

c1skout
12-18-2014, 06:33 PM
Thanks for all the opinions. These were my first work-up loads with a new mold and when I thought about how they had shot I was pretty pleased, then I got curious what others would think so I posted up the picture.

Thomas Traddles, The 160 is what I'm using simply because that's what I have. I bought the mold thinking it was a 148, so I was surprised when the boolits came out weighing 166gn. from my range scrap. I did some internet searching then and discovered that this design is generally well regarded, so I wasn't disappointed.

Beerd, I fired these single action. That's how I do it when I'm testing loads.

Upnorthwis, I don't want to burn or shoot holes in the gun club's sandbags, and snubbies don't have a lot of real estate underneath to rest on something, so I put my wrist over the bag with the bottom of my fist sorta hanging over the front.... it feels pretty stable that way to me.

I'll try a couple more concoctions and run some over the crony before I settle on one, but I'm liking this boolit so far.

GP100man
12-18-2014, 09:37 PM
Keep on doing what ya doing !!!

At 50' Id be happy to keep em all on the paper, but I`d stay with 1 or the other load , personally TL has disappointed me anything over plinking velocities with the WCs. My best groups come from a Lyman 159gr WC with only 2 grooves lubed with Carnauba Red or TAC 1.

Groo
12-20-2014, 07:48 PM
Groo here
Go to 7 yds, put the trigger guard on the rest [ don't let the butt hit anything ] hold the same each time.
If you can't put 6 on a playing card [ should do this off hand but you are testing] the load or you need some work.

9mmsubgun-m11
01-12-2015, 12:29 AM
50' with a snubby,not bad offhand. Those could be groups in the kill zone of a bad guy.

Bazoo
01-12-2015, 12:40 AM
Its not horrible. I had a 642 a while, I got pretty good with it, and could hit a man sized silhouette at 65 yards with it regularly. I cant remember how regularly because its been 4 or 5 years now. Figured that was good enough.

snoopy
01-12-2015, 06:46 AM
Looks pretty good to me for a snubbie at 50ft.

9mmsubgun-m11
01-12-2015, 11:26 PM
To the OP I would suggest some A-Zoom snap caps. Practice your trigger control while sitting around the house watching tv etc.

buckwheatpaul
01-13-2015, 09:47 AM
I assume the snub-nose is for protection.....with what you posted it would do the job....that weapon is not a target gun it is a defense gun....I would agree....very good...just practice .... practice....practice....rember the 21 foot rule and practice off-hand as well as cover and concealment drills.....

captaint
01-13-2015, 10:27 AM
Heck, that's quite acceptable, I think. I sometimes carry a mod 60 - it's maybe a 2" barrel. That would work for me at that distance. Let's face it, for self defense, 50 inches is probably closer to your distance. You're safe !!!! MIke

gray wolf
01-13-2015, 12:54 PM
Some pics from last summer, Julies SP101 the range was 7 yards for the tight cluster with the SJHP and a light load of T/G for a lead bullet.
resting on bench-- 22 rounds.

Target with the miss at 6O-clock was standing at 7 yards probly 12 raounds.

Target with red center was testing the SJHP from the bench @ 7 yards, one and only time she let me shoot her SP101
It's a nice pistol. I think I got the stats correct.