PDA

View Full Version : The Lee 'push thru sizer'.

sojerguy
12-17-2014, 12:09 PM
Has anyone used one, or have seen a review of it is use?

Opinions, from users (past users also), etc ...

Thanks

Forgetful
12-17-2014, 12:17 PM
They're decent enough. On the positive side, you don't need a top punch like the lube resizers. You can accidentally push one through on a slight angle, shaving lead & lube off your boolit. They're made to be exactly .308 or .401 for example, but you'll likely want one slightly larger, making you regret buying one a little too early and forcing you to lap it open a little. I am annoyed I have to lube, resize, then remove that lube before heat treating, and lube again... so I just moly spray them (just like LLA tumble treatment) before resizing. They can be heat treated and lubed as is, that way. Or I'll moly them again and put them through an impact tumble coat.

I want to size them, heat treat them, then powder coat them (extra .001" each side) for a tight chambering... I wish there was a way around having to clean the lube off them first. My pistol mold (.402) is dropping at .399" with this alloy, so resizing would be a waste of time, and will just be PC'd. Trying an alloy modification (I added a little bismuth) to try to get them to drop over .400", waiting on time shrinkage to finish elapsing for final measurement.

sojerguy
12-17-2014, 08:23 PM
Are there any options to lubing the boolits other than Lee Tumble or 'cake cutter'?

Digger
12-17-2014, 08:37 PM
Try this ... so far ,everyone likes it ! .. very simple .
http://castboolits.gunloads.com/showthread.php?259285-NEW-!-!-T-L-Liquid-Lube

docone31
12-17-2014, 08:40 PM
I use dish soap. Washes right off.

RickinTN
12-17-2014, 08:43 PM
I have an RCBS lubrisizer and I only size my bullets in Lee push through dies. I do lubricate them in the lubrisizer but use an oversized die to do so. I don't lube the bullets before sizing and have had no problems.
Rick

Forgetful
12-17-2014, 09:00 PM
Are there any options to lubing the boolits other than Lee Tumble or 'cake cutter'?

Yeah, with Powder Coat (PC) you don't need lube at all. Polyester PC via dry electrostatic tumble method (plastic 6mm airsoft as media) is popular.

GhostHawk
12-17-2014, 10:52 PM
I have 4 at this point and consider them a very handy tool that I'd hate to be without.

I do think once you get to the point where you have a Lubrisizer with dies for most calibers, you probably won't use them a lot.

For me, I don't do huge masses of boolits, normally only 50 - 100 at a time so I have not yet seen the point in investing in a dedicated unit.

From my experience they tend to throw small not large. A brand new .309 sizer is pushing .311 cast boolits coming out at .308.
You can use that in some cases to get smaller or to get to a size they don't sell.

If you want it bigger it is not a big job in my opinion to make it bigger with some emery cloth and a piece of dowel. Trick is to push a boolit through every so often and measure.

They are the cheapest way I know of to crimp a gas check onto a cast boolit.
I currently have 4, .309 for small .311 boolits for my 7.62x25 Cz-52 pistol rounds.
.312 for my Yugo SKS 7.82x39. This started as a .311 throwing actual .310.
.314 for my pair of Mosin's in 7.62x54

And a .357 that is throwing .358 158 gr Tumble lube boolits small enough to fit into a 9mm case at .356.

Great tool, good price, durable, seems to last long. I only have maybe 1k boolits through my first one that I modified.

As for Lube I would agree with Digger, try some Liquid Lube. 60% Johnson liquid wax, 40% Alox. Or, mix the contents of a 4 oz alox bottle with a measured 6 oz of liquid wax. I would put some of that wax in the alox bottle and shake it vigerously a couple times to get all the alox out.

Put sized boolits in container with a small amount of lube, do a slow roll, slide swirl to mix.
I like to set mine out to dry in cheap white foam blocks and set the boolits nose down. The bottoms will dry, when dry I clean the still damp noses and stack away in a labeled container until I need them.

Not that it has to be done that way, its just the way I'm doing it.

Tazza
12-18-2014, 08:55 PM
I use one at .356 for my 9mm projectiles, still going fine after pushing at least 80k projectiles through it. Mine are lubed with a non stick coating before sizing though, that makes it so i don't have direct lead contact or sticky lube around.

It was cheap and works just fine for me.

joesig
12-18-2014, 10:28 PM
They work fine. Polish them out before use. 400 grit on dowel.

dikman
12-19-2014, 06:27 AM
Yep, bought one for my 44-40. I like the way it can be screwed into a spare hole in the turret. Works great - well, it did once I figured out I'd screwed it too far into the turret! I wondered why it took a lot of force to push the boolit up, once I backed it out so it was only just in it was much better.

robg
12-19-2014, 10:29 AM
i use one for 308 an357mag ,work well for putting gas checks on.then relube with lla.dont size plain base

bigarm
12-19-2014, 01:35 PM
Yep, bought one for my 44-40. I like the way it can be screwed into a spare hole in the turret. Works great - well, it did once I figured out I'd screwed it too far into the turret! I wondered why it took a lot of force to push the boolit up, once I backed it out so it was only just in it was much better.

I did that also!

18Bravo
12-20-2014, 03:14 PM
A typical Lee product. They are simply engineered, straight forward in operation, affordable and do there intended purpose of mashing lead down to the desired size. I have several in different pistol calibers from 356 to 452. All of them throw within .0005 of the listed size. The only con that I have found is when I get in hurry I'll occasionally pinch a finger holding the boolit in place as it's rammed into the sizing die.

rbertalotto
12-20-2014, 10:07 PM
I just bought one today in .323 for a Winchester 1894 in 32 Special I have. For $20 it was the least expensive way to install gas checks on the RCBS bullets I cast. Works great!

I then used Red Rooster lube....cast some of 1-20 alloy and a bunch in linotype. Those Linotype bullets are extremely hard and used all the force a Rock Chucker and Imperial Die Wax could muster!

Dusty Bannister
12-20-2014, 10:41 PM
I like the 120-125 grain cast bullets for poking 38 cal holes in paper and cans. I use the Star for that. When I want to use those bullets for 9MM, out comes the Lee and I run those through as they are already lubed. Make and stock one size, size to what else you need, when you have the need. Very handy items to have on the shelf. Dusty

emrah
12-20-2014, 11:08 PM
Love mine. I have a .452, .311, .357 and a .315. I double LLA lube all my boolits, rifle or handgun. I push then through before lubing, never had a problem. I use it to seat my gas checks for my rifle boolits at the same time; incredibly handy.

Those thick lubes and lubrisizer contraptions are too expensive for me and I've never needed a thicker lube.

Emrah

zuke
12-21-2014, 10:14 AM
Easy to open up for different caliber's when I want to try paper patching a different caliber

MT Chambers
12-24-2014, 07:41 PM
I see no need for them, I use the Star and size nose first and lube at the same time, fast accurate and no mess, no waiting till tomorrow to dry, no cookie sheets or tin foil/wax paper.

dragon813gt
12-24-2014, 08:06 PM
Usually undersized. And once velocity is turned up TL won't cut it. I never bothered w/ pan lubing as I saw it as a massive waste of time. Have two LAM1s and a Star. My time is more valuable then saving pennies sizing and lubing any other way.

mac266
12-25-2014, 12:33 PM
I have two for a pair of Lee moulds that do not have a corresponding top punch from Lyman or RCBS. I prefer to use the lubri-sizer and lube / size my bullets the traditional way, but in the case of these two bullet designs I couldn't do it without putting a ring on the meplat (the meplat is so large no top punch fits over it). So I bought the Lee sizers for these two bullets.

My review of the sizers is this: The sizing operation is fast and effective. In fact, it's a lot faster than using a traditional lubri-sizer. However, I do not like tumble lubing. I think it's messy and kind of a PITA. Bottom line: They work, and they're inexpensive. If you don't mind tumble lubing, then I say go for it. Or, if you're like me and have a bullet design with no top punch, you're kind of stuck using them.

dragon813gt
12-25-2014, 12:45 PM
You can buy flat top punches based on caliber. But the better option is the cupped ones that ThePerfessor makes. You fill them w/ epoxy to make a custom fit top punch.

mac266
12-25-2014, 01:05 PM
You can buy flat top punches based on caliber. But the better option is the cupped ones that ThePerfessor makes. You fill them w/ epoxy to make a custom fit top punch.

Who is ThePerfessor and does he have a web site?

Nueces
12-25-2014, 01:32 PM
Use the forum search for usernames, inputting theperfessor. It'll pull up some recent posts and you can PM him.

theperfessor
12-25-2014, 01:55 PM
I'm here and back in business making top punches for Lyman/RCBS and Saeco lubers. $8 each, shipping free in USA. I can have one in the mail within 2 business days of getting a paid order. PM me if you're interested.

GLL
12-25-2014, 01:57 PM
Buckshot has made me several custom sized LEE-style dies.
Great craftsmanship !

http://www.fototime.com/ABE5C78ECACBD2D/large.jpg

Jerry

mdi
12-25-2014, 03:34 PM
I have seven Lee sizing dies. They work very well. I've been casting bullets for 18 years and found Lee push through dies early, and thus far have found no need for a lubersizer. I often use them "dry" and if I'm going to size something different (over .003" or jacketed bullets) I'll lightly spray with my lanolin/alcohol lube. I tumble, dip, and pan lube and PC and since I'm not in any need for 1,000 lubed bullets at a time, it's all good.

twc1964
12-25-2014, 06:27 PM
I use the .358 and .452 lee sizers. Both were undersized. The .358 was throwing them at .357 and the other .451. A few minutes with some fine sandpaper and oilsolved that. I pc all of my boolits so these work great for me.

selpaw
12-27-2014, 07:50 PM
I have several, mostly pistol calibers. Work great. I use one to size 457122 from .457 to .453 for use in my 45 Colt. Generally lube and seat gaschecks on Lyman 450 with an oversize die then use the Lee die. Have pinched my finger when not paying attention. Selpaw

michiganmike
12-27-2014, 10:41 PM
I have three: 40 S&W, my 7mm-08, and one for my brother-in-law's Mosin-Nagant. I cast and reload on a budget. So, this tool is perfect for me. All three work flawlessly. Results are very good. They do the job as advertized.

A box of the blue nitrite disposable gloves eliminate the mess. I now use Ben's Liquid Lube, which dries quite quickly. I have NO problems with leading. And I get very good accuracy. I can't speak for my brother-in-law. But they doe eat venison regularly at their house.

Happy New Year.

MichiganMike

Airman Basic
12-27-2014, 11:08 PM
What's the best way to smooth a Lee sizer up without changing the size? Some of mine leave vertical striations after sizing. Probably doesn't hurt but it bothers my OCD.

zuke
12-28-2014, 06:45 AM
What's the best way to smooth a Lee sizer up without changing the size? Some of mine leave vertical striations after sizing. Probably doesn't hurt but it bothers my OCD.

a couple second's with 400 grit

gunoil
12-28-2014, 09:25 AM
1200,1500,1800,2400,3600,4000,6000 (a sheet of each last forever) sandpaper, use pencil & watch tv. Wrap paper (cut) around pencil. You can get deep luster on dies and feed ramps or whatever. BETTER THAN CRATEX.

zuke
12-28-2014, 09:30 PM
Any particular place to get such a great selection of paper?

Nueces
12-28-2014, 09:47 PM
Most auto parts stores have such paper in small quantities, for sanding out paint.

Minerat
12-28-2014, 09:51 PM
I read on here somewhere to use a little bit of bearing grease I keep a small amount in an old chew can. I lube the first and then every 3rd or 4th thereafter depending on how they are going thru the die. I just get a little on a finger and put a light coat on the bullet, kind of like using Imperial Sizing Die wax. I have a 309, and a 410. they work great. I then pan lube so the grease is not a problem, I'd probably wash them in mineral spirits if I was going to PC them to get it off.

zuke
12-29-2014, 09:00 PM
I use dishwashing soap, Dawn to be precise.

Bazoo
12-29-2014, 09:26 PM
I like them. I would rather pan lube. They work well and are simple and effective.

country gent
12-29-2014, 09:43 PM
You can also polish the finish up with a dowel and sug fitting 3" cleaning patch and auto rubbing comound, Simichrome polish, Flitz or even tooth paste.The trickis low rpms and fast controled strokes so the polish lines cross over in a figure 8 pattern.

Landshark9025
01-03-2015, 10:41 PM
The only con that I have found is when I get in hurry I'll occasionally pinch a finger holding the boolit in place as it's rammed into the sizing die.

I did the same thing...twice. Then I started putting the boolit up into the die by hand rather than balancing it on the ram. A little gentle pressure and it will stay there plenty long to get your fingers out of the way. Also eliminates gouging one side of the boolit due to improper alignment.

wlc
01-04-2015, 04:42 AM
Buckshot has made me several custom sized LEE-style dies.
Great craftsmanship !

http://www.fototime.com/ABE5C78ECACBD2D/large.jpg

Jerry
He has made a few for me as well. Excellent craftsmanship!!

gunoil
01-04-2015, 09:42 AM
Have a few LEE sizers for projectiles, but then l bought a star bullet sizer & want a star case sizer jr..

Heres ya daddy: hardlineindustries.com

http://youtu.be/7pi4cEHMj1s

mikesgraphics
01-04-2015, 04:07 PM
I found a trick to not pinching your fingers... I have a small cheap lee press mounted upside down and just set the bullet in nose first and pull the handle up. I pc all my bullets and this works great.Went to the hardware store and got a piece of clear hose to slip on the top of the die to direct the bullets into a container under the press

DougGuy
01-04-2015, 04:29 PM
And the boolits start into the die straight? Never thought to flip one but sounds like a neat idea.

mikesgraphics
01-07-2015, 12:47 PM
bullets start perfect cause your setting them in the actual die